Ideas for Ruger...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":qxbihf7y said:
Knowing what is in the R&D stages...I'm good. :)

If so, I better start feeding my piggybank. Thanks for GOOD news, I think that I have pretty good idea what's cooking. Nope, I do connections in Ruger, but I done my homework.

Some suggestions:

- Stainless
- Barrel 6.5" (very traditional, legal for handgun hunt in states with 6" barrel min. length)
- Barrel twist 1 in 16" for heavy bullets
- Front sight same style as on Redhawks or Hunters
- A very nice edition would be #5 style base pin, IMHO MUCH better than standard one
- Cylinder fluted and long enough to accommodate loaded round with bullet (crimp to meplat) .450", better yet .500" length, plus at least .050" for clearance.

Any idea when new REVOLVER will be out?

Yup, I like 7.5" barrel, and all my Rugers have that length. However, more I think about this, 6.5" looks as a better choice; a nice balance considering all factors.

Personally, I do not need barrel top rib with provision for the scope, but if this is going to be the only option, local smith will get it right as soon as I receive revolver.

Thanks again, Onty.

gak

Buckeye
maxpress":21tybpvb said:
double action: i would like to see pistol calibers in the sp101 and gp100. be nice to have a 10mm glock, gp100 and blackhawk. course it would be nice to have your backup in the same caliber as your primary to.

single action: expand the convertables to the vaquero line and make a vaquero .44spl (i like vaqueros what can i say)
----
++1 to a New Vaquero in .44 Special--all configurations, incl Bisley, lengths (incl Montado) and finishes. Make it a .44-40 convertible (option) for those so oriented, if they'll fit that is (some discussion here (RF) and elsewhere about why the -40s may not). If the -40s do work, add a .38-40/.40 S&W/10mm into the mix!
Ditto a .327/.32-20 NV convertible. One of those'd be sweet in a Montado or 4-5/8 length. Again, all trim levels.

Barry in IN

Bearcat
A DA with the frame sized to match the .41 Mag and .44 Spl.
Might as well add the 10mm/40 in there, just because it would fit well in that size.

I wouldn't hate an adjustable sighted Bearcat either.

And a real dreamer...
I'm a big fan of the Browning HiPower. I'd like to see some US gunmaker start making the HiPower, but come with standard upgrades like high visibility sights, a hammer and tang design that doesn't bite, and forgetting the magazine disconnect. Throw in a stainless option too.
And of course, sell it for less than FN/Browning does, which I think they could.

One more big dream, since lever actions have come up:
I've often read that Bill Ruger was a big fan of the Savage 99. I like 'em too. Maybe now that Savage has apparently dropped the 99 for good, a Ruger version wouldn't be bad.
I am often hearing people asking for a lever chambering something in the .308 range, and this would fit. Make some in .358 and .375 Win, too.

maxpress

Buckeye
ruger is all about not getting sued and making everything lawyer friendly so i think we would still have to remove the disconnect from a ruger hi power. but a ruger .40 hi power would be on my short order list.

Elmer

Bearcat
I'd like to see a snubbie .44 special for concealed carry. Something like the Charter Arms Bulldog but with Ruger quality.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I'll second that, Elmer...as long as it's made from good ol' steel. Blued or stainless. :mrgreen:

deac45

ADP3

Single-Sixer
A Mark III without the loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect and internal lock would suit me. In other words a Mark II with a button mag release.

Best Regards
ADP3

Forty-Four Fan

Bearcat
yankee7809":25b692ac said:
When I close my eyes and think of "Ruger" I see a Blackhawk single action "whatever". Not a high cap semi automatic, not a plastic double action revolver. I think the powers that be at Ruger need to shower some love on the single action line that they are so closely linked to in a LOT of people's minds.

+1

They've let the quality in that line go down the tubes.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
jamstutz":23sbtee5 said:
I want an LCR chambered in .22LR so I can practice without wincing whenever I fire a costly centerfire round!

Yep, you me and a couple of other people.

There are those that say a 22 LCR would be a lousy carry weapon and one should practice with what they carry. True, they should fire off big rounds during every trip to the range but, there are a group of people that have never fired a gun or have hand issues and need practice with something. There are also other trainers that say any trigger time is better than a gun you can't hold on to or can't practice much with at all.

About 3 years ago my sweety , who had never owned a gun, got a 38 ( might be a 357 ) chambered SW Airlite for PD, Ruger SP 101 357 for practice and was trained by someone that offers such services. After the initial training she was out of commission for 6 + months due to hand issues. Once her hand recovered, she would fire off perhaps 20 rounds in the SP and 5 in the Airlite once every few months, hardly enough to make good use of practice.

Dec 09 we found a SW 317 8 shot 22 snub Airlite, same form factor as the SW 38 , about the same heft. She now is pushing 500 + rounds in the 22 , this is probably equal or greater than the number of 38's she fired in the past 2 3/4 years! Because of the 22 she is now able to practice.

I've only been shooting since Jan 2010 and have pushed ~ 2000 rounds through my GP 100 357 and LCR 38. About 1000 through various rentals like a Walther P22 22lr auto, SW 686 ish 22lr, GP 100 6" 357 and even a couple of mags through a AR 15 223 for varity. A LCR 22 would have done wonders for my learning curve.

Ruger would need to make a concerted effort to market a LCR 22 as the traditional gun store counter help is likely more geared towards people that have been shooting for years. The market for people that have never owned a gun is much different from those in the know. Think of it this way, would you rather have a new gun owner firing a .500 randomly in a PD situation because they can't control it or someone that has 1000's of shots through a 22 and has worked their way to a 357?

Anyway, the request for Ruger making a different gun needs to put in different categories such as

" Variations on a theme " ( various barrel lengths, a different caliber that isn't much different than what exists now. )

" New target market " ( a wildly different caliber like a LCR 22 or a entirely different gun type not served by current offerings. )

There are many 22lr offerings of larger guns, the 1911 , AR -15, some Kimber stuff, why not a LCR?

A Mark III without the loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect and internal lock would suit me. In other words a Mark II with a button mag release.

Best Regards
ADP3

Yep, overheard a gun counterperson say the chamber indicators are silly, " A gun is always loaded! "

Elmer

Bearcat
deac45":17lxzpir said:
I'll second that, Elmer...as long as it's made from good ol' steel. Blued or stainless. :mrgreen:

deac45

+1 on the steel. :)

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
Well...I think it was Yosamite Sam who said we don't need more plastic guns with rails....I agree...to a point...I, for one, am very happy the there are brilliant minds out there who were/are not content with the past...I just don't think I'd feel confident protecting myself and my family armed with a single shot, cap and ball, black powder musket or pistol, although I do love nostalgia, and they are pretty to look at, that's just not practical here in THIS century.......I'm not a fan of the SR9 at all...it is simply inferior to it's peers...and to those who are quick to shout the whole "following others" thing, concerning the SR9, the new AR platform, and the LCP, I've got news for ya...none of 'em are Sam Colt or John Browning so all of the companies are following someone elses ideas!!...The difference is some of them are thinking outside of the box and trying to look towards the future by improving old thoughts or creating new ones...I am a 2nd generation Ruger fan, I am proud of my Rugers (one is a single six by the way), and I don't want Ruger to have to settle for being a single action manufacturer only....Colt is still making some of the finest single actions in the world but guess what?...they make one hell of an AR as well....I think S&W is known for their revolvers but guess what?...they are leading the pack with tacticals also...Why is it a bad thing for a Ruger fan to want the same success for Ruger?

gak

Buckeye
Forty-Four Fan":3jujf19b said:
yankee7809":3jujf19b said:
When I close my eyes and think of "Ruger" I see a Blackhawk single action "whatever". Not a high cap semi automatic, not a plastic double action revolver. I think the powers that be at Ruger need to shower some love on the single action line that they are so closely linked to in a LOT of people's minds.

+1

They've let the quality in that line go down the tubes.
---

++1 I've got my sights on an SP101 in .327 at some point, but my heart (and wallet when there's anything in there) is focused generally on their SA line--.44s, .32__s, .357s., what have you. Bring on more New Vaqueros, FTs and Single Six variants. Love the BHs too.

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
Ruger currently has 59, that's right, 59 different variations of their single action revolvers...and there wouldn't be anything wrong with 59 more...but there sure ain't nothin' wrong with innovation either...closing your eyes and seein' a single action when you hear "Ruger" is fine...as long as Ruger doesn't keep their eyes closed...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
OTOH, there's something to be said for figuring out what you do well, and doing it, as opposed to trying to do everything, reaching too far, and making products that are less than stellar.

Unfortunately, I agree that poly guns seems to be the way of the future. They're cheap to make, and that sounds good to manufacturers, to heck with what people actually want. If Ruger has to continue producing these things (at least till the tactical ninja fad dies out) then they should at least fix their current issues before pushing new products to market.

Just imo, of course...

-- Sam

deac45

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":3dgykwkv said:
OTOH, there's something to be said for figuring out what you do well, and doing it, as opposed to trying to do everything, reaching too far, and making products that are less than stellar...-- Sam

Sorta like the ol' "Jack of all trades...Master of none."

deac45

gak

Buckeye
Yosemite Sam":3a9deshg said:
OTOH, there's something to be said for figuring out what you do well, and doing it, as opposed to trying to do everything, reaching too far, and making products that are less than stellar.

Unfortunately, I agree that poly guns seems to be the way of the future. They're cheap to make, and that sounds good to manufacturers, to heck with what people actually want. If Ruger has to continue producing these things (at least till the tactical ninja fad dies out) then they should at least fix their current issues before pushing new products to market.

Just imo, of course...

-- Sam

Also sorta like Subaru who figured, after years, to finally quit trying to beat (or even join) the world's masters of affordable "most weather" front drive import (to us) cars--Toyota and Honda--at their game, and do what it did best, all wheel drive..and stick to that. Wa la, they're finally no longer considered an idiosyncratic, eccentric odd duck but the main stream master at affordable, quality all weather cars.