Ideas for Ruger...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CATTLEDAWG

Bearcat
I know the majority of RugerForum frequents would love nothing more than some new versions of the sinle-action line up...however, I, for one, would really like to see some more additions to the Hard-R line via revolvers...my top two on that wish list would be a Ruger version of S&W's Thunder Ranch in .45 acp...a COMBAT revolver...and the other one would be to manufacture the LCR in other calibers...preferably 9mm...this would be the ideal for concealed carry for my wife...

pisgah

Buckeye
I have often thought about the .45 ACP revolver idea, and I think Ruger could do it up right, if they wanted to. Of course, my thoughts have not gone so far as measuring existing-frame models to see if any of them would work for what I want, so my wishes might require new-sized frames. But, I'd love to see a 6-shot version in something no bigger than an N-frame, and a 5-shot in something about Security-Six sized. As close-to-the-body concealed-carry guns, I'd vote for the stainless, and I'd like all the corners and edges rounded for really slick draws and comfortable carry. Fixed sights would be fine, but a low-profile adjustable rear tough enough to stand up to the hardest imaginable duty would be absolutely bully. Weight would not necesssarily be a a major concern, but overall smoothness in profile and operation would be.

I can vividly imagine rolling off five smooth, fast DA shots...

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
my top two on that wish list would be a Ruger version of S&W's Thunder Ranch in .45 acp...a COMBAT revolver...

While I'm all for them producing whatever they think will sell, I'm not a "brand specific" buyer when it comes right down to it.

If S&W already makes it, then I'd buy that rather than wait for Ruger to get around to it. In truth, I really see no need for Ruger to become some "Johnny-come-lately" by copying others to that extent.

IOW, Ruger should be capable of designing and producing a true combat handgun. They have some good designs in their firearm line(s), whether I agree with them all or not, and I'd like to see a bit more innovation, with an overall goal of increasing quality and dependability.

Of late, I've watched Ruger (and other manufacturers) turn their goals towards increasing profits by cutting costs instead of making a better product. Plastic parts on 10/22's, plastig grips on revolvers, and so forth stand as evidence of that. I'd like to see them get back to being the quality producing company that made them the big name that they are.

The "Peter Principle" would seem to apply to businesses as well, and while new levels are reached, Ruger seems to have reached a point where older, better quality firearms are more desireable than NIB stuff that's now available.

I'd like to find a GP-100; one from back before they changed the grip design. 4" barrel, full shroud, and grips with nice inserts. I have no desire for any of the new offerings of that model.

And I'm sure I'll find one; just need to save a few more pennies first.

Daryl

schloss

Single-Sixer
Something in 480 Ruger again. I missed my chance before, and now I want one. Ideally, a single action and SBH Alaskan.

toysoldier

Hunter
One of the drawbacks of a .45acp revolver (also 9mm) is that it is chambered in a cylinder that's too long for the cartridge, resulting in a gun that's bigger and heavier than it needs to be. All .22 revolvers available today are based on .38 frames. Some of them make use of the big cylinder to hold 8 or 9 shots, but the gun is still oversize.

I doubt that there is a big enough market to make a short-frame revolver in .45acp or 9mm a viable product, but I'm convinced that a pocket-sized DA .22 would sell like---LCPs.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I'd be OK with that LCR in a .45acp... that would be a good format for that round.
Of course it would have to be a bigger version of the LCR.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Single Six in .38 special.

GP100 in .44 special. C'mon Taurus did it with their mid frame.

SP101 in .22LR, 4" barrel and adjustable sights weighing under a 20 oz.

VTM

Bearcat
I have been waiting and waiting. Please cut the barrel down from a 7.5 to a practical 4 inches on the Super Redhawk 454.

Hey I promise I will run right out and buy one!

BB Rvlr

Single-Sixer
As I said in a previous post... I would like to see a revolver in a new .50 caliber cartridge with a 300-350gr hunk of lead at between 700 and 900fps. A .50 Special if you will without having to resort to the expense of a custom gun.

I'm not a faster, louder, more painful kind of guy so I think this would be the tops! :D

deac45

Single-Sixer
I'm still bangin' the drum for a mating of the Super Redhawk grip frame/two spring action to the Redhawk upper half. The comfort and grip choice of the Super with the trimmer lines and durability of the Redhawk. Kinda an S&W M29 only better.

deac45

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
How can anyone consider anything with a Clinton Hole in it (a S&W Internal Lock) to be a "Combat Revolver"? Have you ever experienced "an internal lock failure"? I have. Here is how it goes. You fire 2 possibly 3 shots, then the trigger won't budge no matter how hard you pull it. You release the trigger and try again and it may or may not allow the cylinder to rotate. Free it up, check ammo for high primers, none found, try the ammo in another gun, no problem, go back to the internal lock gun, failure again after 2 or 3 rounds. When I call the RangeMaster over, he says "I see that 2 or 3 times a week. The lock failed. Get rid of it and buy a Ruger SP101."

In my opinion, ANYTHING with a Clinton Hole in it is a RANGE GUN ONLY. Pre-lock S&Ws are the finest COMBAT REVOLVERS ever made. Cherish your NO LOCK GP100 and SP101.