Hercules 2400

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I was loading .44 Specials with 2400 a couple of nights ago, noticed the price on the jug was $26. Pretty sure you can't buy it for that now, if you can even find any. I also bought several pounds of 4227 a few years back for less than $20 a pound, that has turned out to be a great investment. I can use it in .357, .44s, and my .218 Bee. "Reasonable" price for powder these days seems to be $40 a pound and up, mostly up.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
There's some interesting history around the company, also:

1680788219715.png

That part is not entirely true. The company (Simmonds Precision) I worked for was part of Hercules Aerospace and most of the aerospace assets, including my division, were sold to BF Goodrich. The gunpowder part definitely went to Alliant. Alliant was also making aerospace acquisitions that included a division of Honeywell that I had previously worked for in MN, so I did hear about Alliant from old friends there. Whether they got part of Hercules Aero, I don't know. What we were told about Hercules at the time it divested its aerospace businesses was that it wanted to concentrate more on their artificial flavors and fragrances lineup. BF Goodrich in turn had sold its tire business to Michelin around 1985 and were restructuring as an aerospace company, finally dropping the "BF" in about 2000 since they were still being confused with the former tire company. Then Goodrich was bought by United Technologies Corp. who also bought Rockwell Collins and merged our avionics business with theirs, so we became Collins Aerospace under UTC. Then UTC merged with Raytheon, becoming Raytheon Technologies. And that's where it was when I retired.

I accumulate Hercules powder tins on the mantle in the basement (wife won't allow it upstairs ;) )

Hercules_Mantle.jpg

There is a turpentine can and a few blasting cap tins (and box) there as well, but the rest is all gunpowder.