Handgun Powders in DFW Area?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I last reloaded 20-25 years ago. I haven't been shooting enough to justify time at a reloading bench and have been shooting commercial ammo (.40 and 9mm, mostly) but I'm thinking about maybe joining a local IDPA club after the holidays. I'll probably never be anything like competitive again but it's tons of fun and a good way to improve proficiency with my CC weapon. Even if I don't start shooting with a club, I really would like to work up some practice rounds that shoot to the same point as my commercial PD ammo, especially for my CC 9mm.

Anyway, I've known that commercial ammo availability has been spotty for the last six or seven years, but imagine my shock when I made the rounds of a number of local stores (Cabelas, etc.) a few weeks ago only to basically have them laugh at the idea of having any decent handgun powders in stock or even knowing when they might get more in. As a guy at Cabelas said, "if we had any in the back I'd have bought it already." Primers seem to be readily available, I've got tons of once-fired .40 brass that I wisely bought and cleaned and stored before the shortages, good 9mm brass is a lot more expensive than it was but it is at least available, bullets are available...but none of that is worth spit if you can't find the right powders to make it all go bang...

So, I know people are reloading so where are you getting powder? Is it a deep, dark secret where I have to know the secret handshake and then you still have to kill me after telling me? :wink: I've seen some limited availability of a couple of pistol powders online, but hazmat shipping fees pretty much make that a non-starter unless you're doing a club buy or something.

I'd like to try some Power Pistol (never used it but heard it's really good in 9mm and .40). Would also be very happy with Bullseye, Titegroup, Universal...at this point I'd be happy to find some W231 even though I spurned it as too dirty back in the day...dirty beats nonexistent!

Thanks,
John

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Pistol powder does show up from time to time, but it's sold out immediately.
You just have to be in the right place at the right time. And be ready to buy.

Find out when your nearest store gets shipments of powder, and be there.

Also you can buy powder on line from Cabela's and Bass Pro and have it shipped to the
nearest store, without paying the Haz Mat fee and shipping.

Check both of their websites daily, cause they sell out fast.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
jbntx said:
Also you can buy powder on line from Cabela's and Bass Pro and have it shipped to the
nearest store, without paying the Haz Mat fee and shipping.
That I didn't know! Thanks!

John