GP100 44 Spl +P loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thanatos

Bearcat
There is a You Tube Video on the GP100 .44 Special there are loads shared there that are a tad warmer then the stock .44 Special Loads in a reloading Manual. I do agree you need to stay within the limits set in pressure. I do know that some Ruger Blackhawk only loads do exist with .45LC but I am not sure with .44 Special. These Ruger GP100 .44 Special's the retail on them is not cheap so why take a chance in a investment like this. I would suggest in the long run if you want to run warmer loadings in .44 Special then use such loads in a .44 Magnum Revolver!

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
It amazes me that people will a buy a gun then try to turn it into something it isn't. For those that do they deserve the results. I have 38's & 357's 44 spl's and 44 magnums......... Each is loaded to what it is. No more. No less. .If you need more horsepower.......GET A BIGGER GUN.

BTW My standard 44 special load is my cast 250 gr bullet pushed by 7.5 grs. of Unique.
How is that not a hot-rodded load? Is that in any reloading manual of recent vintage?
My Speer Reloading manual number 13 lists the top end load on cast SWC 250gr as 6.9gr. of Unique. This load is quite a bit above that.

I know that as the Skeeter load, IIRC. But has it ever been published anywhere as a SAAMI standard pressure load for 44SPC?

And I'm not trying to chastise you, or say you should stop. I'd really like to know. Because I have one of these Rugers, and if that is a published SAAMI standard load, then I'd like to use it. As it is, I've only used it in a Blackhawk 44SPC. And that sparingly.

NikA

Buckeye
Pretty sure 7.5gr Unique under a 240-250gr SWC has always been above SAAMI max pressure of 14ksi. My older Lyman cast bullet handbook puts the max at 7.0gr, which is generally where I load my 44 Special loads.

md8232

Bearcat
It amazes me that people will a buy a gun then try to turn it into something it isn't. For those that do they deserve the results. I have 38's & 357's 44 spl's and 44 magnums......... Each is loaded to what it is. No more. No less. .If you need more horsepower.......GET A BIGGER GUN.

BTW My standard 44 special load is my cast 250 gr bullet pushed by 7.5 grs. of Unique.
If Elmer didn't try turning his Smith's into something they weren't, we wouldn't have the 44 magnum.

md8232

Bearcat
I had a 5" full lug GP that went down the road unfired by me due to the SCARY thin forcing cone...And normally, I shoot everything that passes through my hands. I'd stick to standard pressure 44 Special loads only in the GP myself, and save the hot rodded loads for the Redhawk.
Good point. I have 3 GP100's in Gods caliber. Just took a good look, and I'm glad I'm using the standard loads.

Rclark

Hunter
If Elmer didn't try turning his Smith's into something they weren't, we wouldn't have the 44 magnum.
Yes.... But that experimentation has already been done. We 'have' the .44 Magnum now. We have the .454 Casull, the .460, the .500. There is no need to push much past the boundaries of established cartridges. Even my favorite cartridge the .45 Colt, I don't see the need for Ruger Only Loads any longer since the .454 Casull is readily available if you really want to go there. Yes, I'll push the .45 Colt 'a little' with Tier 2 loads, but not to the extreme edge of Tier 3 (ROLs) .... Bottom line, I really do agree with the statement "get a bigger gun". They are commercially available, buy them, use them.

Rclark

Hunter
.& he blew up every one getting there.
I may be wrong, but the only guns I recall him blowing up was when hot loading .45 Colt Single Actions, which drove him to the .44 Special and eventually to the Keith load. But yes, "he did do the work, so we don't have to" .

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
He did refer to the.38-44 load blowing up Colt I Frames , but Elmer never said that HE did it.

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat

OP here. It's obvious that you didn't see my post on June 13th. My load is lighter than yours.

Isn't this some of the most EXACT, PRECISE knowledge that you'll ever want to know! A little bit of opinion and a LOT of superb, direct info anyone could ever wish to know. Man, what a great website this is. As for me, I'll add that there was a GP 10MM on the Chattanooga Armslist website for sale earlier today, if that would appeal to you. I saw that being recommended earlier. Best of luck, and consider this an excuse to add to your collection!

dwayne

Single-Sixer
OP here - I've settled on a load that is very accurate in my GP100 44 Special:

240 gr LSWC (Lee tumble lube mold, Prismatic powder coat)
7.0 gr Unique
CCI #300 primer
OAL 1.465"
Starline brass
Lee Factory Crimp Die 1/2 turn

I haven't chrono'd it yet.
Based on the use of similar loads in my revolvers you should get about ~900 fps out of that load.