GP100 3" Adjustable Sights 357 PINTO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Waveform

Bearcat
Here's the latest "Frankenruger" to emerge from my overactive imagination. Started life as a simple Model 1751 in 38 Special but I re-chambered it to 357 Magnum, slab sided the barrel to remove the laser etched "rollmarks" (and 'cause I like slab sided barrels) and had a buddy engrave it on his CNC machine the "RUGER GP100" and "357 MAGNUM". The slab sides, cylinder, ejector rod & pin, hammer, hammer pin, trigger and cylinder release button were all polished out by the pros at Patriot Gun Metal Polishing. I have a wheel but I wanted a better wheel man than me this time and Patriot did a superb job with a quick turn around to boot. I prepped and applied Cerakote Graphite Black to the rest and reassembled. Basic red ramp front sight and a set of rosewood target stocks by Eagle Grips complete the package for a GP100 pinto.

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Those grips look excellent on your GP. Did you have the medallions installed or is that an option from Eagle? I've never owned a Ruger double action revolver. You've certainly helped pique my interest.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Wow! That is a very exacting , clean job. I don't usually like the pinto concept, but that takes it to a level of perfection that appeals to me.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
Well done Wave!! I have followed your work and read your postings in the past. Thanks for sharing this. The Ruger 3" GP 100 is one of my favorite guns and what you have done here with this revolver really cool.

Keep them coming Wave!

Waveform

Bearcat
Aeroscout9 said:
Those grips look excellent on your GP. Did you have the medallions installed or is that an option from Eagle? I've never owned a Ruger double action revolver. You've certainly helped pique my interest.

The medallions were an option from Eagle. These are terrific grips but spendy. I got them a couple of years ago and it took around 6 months for them to finally ship as I recall and the cost was well north of $100. They remind me of the S&W Target stocks I love on my old N and K frame revolvers.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Wow, Nice job. The 3" GP with adj. sights is great and the workmanship is to die for. Congrats on a unique GP.

'whichwatch' needs his head examined. ...rude, crude and uncalled for.

PS. Those grips are great. I gota look into those for myself. I have looked at Nil Grips before. :D :D

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Waveform said:
Aeroscout9 said:

The medallions were an option from Eagle. These are terrific grips but spendy. I got them a couple of years ago and it took around 6 months for them to finally ship as I recall and the cost was well north of $100. They remind me of the S&W Target stocks I love on my old N and K frame revolvers.

I'll be looking into those type of grips too when I get into a GP. That whole setup is awesome and now deserves some well made leather product too. In for pics.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Wave that is a beauty, and happy birthday by the way my birthday is next week if you want to send that great gift a long that would be sweet!!!!

Thel

Blackhawk
Nice gun. I wonder how the 2 tone concept would work with a brushed stainless/high polish contrast in the same places. Also, how was the fit on the Eagle grips? In the past I have read some claim the fit was not up to par.

Waveform

Bearcat
Thel said:
Nice gun. I wonder how the 2 tone concept would work with a brushed stainless/high polish contrast in the same places. Also, how was the fit on the Eagle grips? In the past I have read some claim the fit was not up to par.

Thanks Thel. The one pictured below was bead blasted and the accents polished so that's along the lines of what you suggest. I like this look a lot too. I made this one for a buddy out in MO and did some horse tradin' for something he had that I took a fancy to.

The fit on these grips is pretty nice right out of the box. I got them a couple of years ago so it's not fresh in my mind but I don't recall having to do any fitting work on them. I did have to dig out a grip panel locator pin for it - the hole was accurately drilled in the grip panels it just needed the pin.

Waveform

Bearcat
Big Old Boy said:
Wave that is a beauty, and happy birthday by the way my birthday is next week if you want to send that great gift a long that would be sweet!!!!
Haha! An early Happy Birthday wish for you too!

Waveform

Bearcat
Flatbush said:
Wave, are going to shoot it much?

If you do, let us know how it performs if possible.

Flatbush

That is a good question....I dunno. I did this to try out the idea and test my abilities in Cerakote. I just got into Cerakote last year and I like working with it so this was a good chance to see if I could pull off a contrast.

I don't see any reason not to shoot it except for the inevitable turn ring on the cylinder. I worked on the action prior to the finishes and I know it has a decent action. If I keep it here it will get shot.

Latest posts