Gotta get a 9mm pistol.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

killowatt59

Bearcat
I have to pick out a 9mm pistol to get someone for Christmas. It seems like the Glock 17 keeps coming up as the best or one of the best most consistently.

Here is the short list.
Glock 17
Springfield XMD
S&W MP

Also I need to get a tactical light to attach to it. Seems like there are a lot of these things, don't know which one to get.

rugermayne

Bearcat
Those are all good choices, I own the Glock and S&W, and have heard good things about the Springfield. Never had any issues with either and they will eat any ammo you put in them reliably. Don't count the Glock 19 out, to me its more versatile than the above listed and I personally seem to shoot it better. It only holds a couple rounds less and is a great carry piece, just my thoughts...Pat

josh2415

Bearcat
killowatt59 said:
I have to pick out a 9mm pistol to get someone for Christmas. It seems like the Glock 17 keeps coming up as the best or one of the best most consistently.

Here is the short list.
Glock 17
Springfield XMD
S&W MP

Also I need to get a tactical light to attach to it. Seems like there are a lot of these things, don't know which one to get.
Take a look at Ruger's SR9 or SR9c. I have the SR9c, and think it's a great compact 9 - very nice trigger, and ambi safety. The SR9 is the full-size version. Both have an accessory rail, and are made in the U.S. (unlike the Glock and XDm). Great pistols for the money.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
+1 on the SR9c, if it is to be carried. If it is going to be a range weapon, then I would go with an SA hammer fired with a decent length barrel.

Others will disagree, but I would never carry a Glock. IMO a striker fired weapon MUST have a manual safety for safe carry. Too many trained folks are shooting themselves with these weapons to carry.

killowatt59

Bearcat
I have heard some great things about the cz75. I am hesitate about it because it is a gift for someone who might have never heard of it.

I don't want it to be a CCW because that is something someone needs to buy themselves. My aunt wants to get a nice firearm for my uncle and she wants me to pick it out as a surprise.

Also what about tactical lights?

ODCaloney

Bearcat
I have an SR9c for carry, feels great and trust my life with it. I also have a Walther PPQ in 9mm, beautiful shooting gun, I'd recommend it but it has no safety. It's hard to buy for someone else, most places don't let you return them either.
It's best to let him pick it out.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have to say that it is hard to pick a gun out for someone else. I will also say that most shooters that ever get to fondle a CZ are at least interested and many are hooked. If this is going to be an all around, just have fun at the range and stuff gun, there is no better pistol out there than a CZ.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Of the guns you list I personally prefer the S&W M&P9 as the ergonomics are vastly better than any Glock. I've owned both a Glock 17 and 17 and the M&P. The Glocks have been sold and the M&P is still here.

I have no personal experience with the XDM but have generally heard good things about it.

I do have experience with the Ruger SR9 and SR9c and can highly recommend either.

That said, if you decide on a Glock, strongly consider the 19. It's generally considered the best pistol Glock makes.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Another fantastic "sleeper" 9mm that might want to be considered in the Sig Pro SP2022, especially if a hammer is of interest.

I've had all of the 9mm pistols that you've mentioned...Glock, M&P & XD/XDm. All three are great guns. It all comes down to the shooters preference.

Old Judge Creek

Single-Sixer
I added a 9mm Glock 19 to my battery just two weeks ago. It's intended to supplement my Glock 30 and two 1911 45s.

It's taken me a LOT of years to finally give Glock a try, but I did with the G30 about 4 years ago, and "seeing made a believer out of me".

roylt

Hunter
feel in the hand is very important.
A P95 is cheap and you can add a grip sleeve if needed.
A CZ feels real good but cost more.
Maybe just a gift card to a local gunshop would be good. That feel in the hand thing.

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
Sticking to the three you listed, I give two big thumbs up to the Glock 17. It's a proven performer that is absolutely safe and reliable if handled properly. I love mine.

Kenny

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
don't rule out the SR9. my youngest daughter took a shine to one so she got it for her 21st birthday. liked hers so much i got one for myself and have given two more for gifts. all are reliable, accurate and solid weapons. no regrets.

dwd

Single-Sixer
If I had to choose a 9mm it would be the ruger P95 (after all you posted on a Ruger forum) especially for a gift, you just can't go wrong with a Ruger.
but if I had to choose from the three listed and it was a gift for someone else I would choose the Glock. They almost fit nobody's hand perfectly so he can't dislike it for that reason.

welder

Buckeye
My vote (from the list), G17. That being said I have one unfired in the safe, but my G19 (not on the list) has seen several thousand trouble free rounds. My son is a big fan of CZ and I am very impressed with his CZ SP01, it has been 100% reliable with every round he could find to try.