Pistol cleaning

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
...I came across a YT video studying a large number of oils and I switch to Clenzoil. ...

I saw that video about a month ago. Interesting results. Despite my love of Hickok45, I would not choose Ballistol.

Screenshot of results, but watch the video to understand.

IMG_3705.jpeg

I use Hoppe's with a wire brush and then clean cotton pads until done, and Ballistol or another CLP for the rest of the gun and magazines. Works for me and I have never had a rust problem on any of my guns. Plus I really like the smell of Hoppe's #9. Everytime I use it I think of my Dad cleaning his guns, and he's been gone almost 50 years.
Yep. One sniff of Hoppe's 9 and I'm 14 years old again-fountain of youth :cool:

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I have a S&W Model 19 that is nickel plated, and I have used Hoppe's for over 35 years on this gun and have not seen any damage. But I don't shoot it often so I have not had to clean this gun as often as I do some others.
The damage will usually come if the nickel has a flaw that allows the Hoppes to get under it and begin to dissolve the copper plate that was laid down under the nickel. Hoppes will not harm the nickel itself, but cause it to flake off.

Latest posts