Gotta get a 9mm pistol.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
My vote would be for a Berretta 92fs. I believe they are still offering a $50 mail in rebate. Ed

welldoya

Single-Sixer
As others have said, take a look at the G19. It's Glock's biggest seller and is more versatile than the larger G17.
I've got a CZ75 that i bought in Germany in '88. It's a nice gun but it is bigger and heavier than some others.
Take a look at the Kahr pistols. I recently bought a CW9 and like it a lot.
The Browning HP also crossed my mind as something you might want to look at.
My son has the M&P compact and has no complaints.

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Glock 17 is a nice pistol. I prefer the Glock 19. At my range I get to shoot many handguns. I personally like the SR9 better and I shoot better with the SR9. Flawless performers for sure, the Glock just never felt comfortable to me. I see other guys tearing the black up in nice, tight groups with their Glock pistols. Me, different result. But the SR9, SR9c and S&W M&P all day and night.The Beretta 92 is another classic. Having owned and shot many 9mms over the years, the best overall 9 I've ever shot is the SR9 while the most accurate is the S&W 639. My SR9 has chugged away for countless rounds in the last two years. Can't miss with any of the pistols suggested so far. Whatever works for you.

killowatt59

Bearcat
Well after much debate and research I am going with the S&W M&P 9mm. I wish this gun was for me because it sure felt nice in the hand.

Now I just need to find a laser site. These things are expensive SHEESH!

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
killowatt59 said:
Well after much debate and research I am going with the S&W M&P 9mm. I wish this gun was for me because it sure felt nice in the hand.

Now I just need to find a laser site. These things are expensive SHEESH!

You, or whoever the pistol is for won't be disapointed. My M&P 9mm is one of my favorite polymer pistols!

woodchuckssuck

Bearcat
I sure hope the other person is legal to own a handgun... ;) I mean, it would be TERRIBLE if you had to keep the gun yourself :) hehe

I have fired an M&P .40 cal. NICE gun, accurate and comfy in hand. My SR9c is a good gun as well, I just have to get back into pistol shooting, you could say I'm a bit rusty :)

Hope your friend enjoys it!

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yeah if that isn't your spouse be careful and get the paperwork done. The penalty can be up to 15 years.

killowatt59

Bearcat
Guys I live in Kentucky. It's all good. One of the best things about living in this state are the gun laws.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Unless you give it to someone who can't legally purchase ... That is fed territory. Just saying.

killowatt59

Bearcat
Nope that is not correct. No guns are registered here. I can sell or give to anybody. Same at gun shows. Anyone can walk up and buy or sell a used gun to anyone in Kentucky.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Not true. If you allow an ineligible person access to a firearm that is restricted by state or federal law that is a felony. It has nothing to do with a registration. The ffl is required to document who the gun is transferred to. If the gun is found in the possession of a person who is not allowed by law to possess a firearm it will trace back to you. No ffl is allowed to sell a gun with out paperwork. You can sell it to anyone as personal transfer, but if used in a crime and you have no documented proof of the transfer or did not report it stolen ... Good luck. Not saying your person is not allowed to own, but if they are you are part of the reason people want more gun control laws.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Revhigh seems to know a lot about the laws around guns. What is your opinion of this situation. Let's say in THEORY only, this person buys a gun for a person who does not meet purchase requirements and gives it to them. Not saying at all this is the case, but I would like to see what others say.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I like blue steel and John Browning so would pick a High Power, but in modern plastic things a Glock 19 or mid size M&P would get the nod. I would pick a 19 size Glock over a 17 for anything other then uniform carry.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I won't sell a gun, even in-state, without transferring it through an FFL, right or wrong, I'm going to protect myself first.

REV

killowatt59

Bearcat
"An illegal straw purchase does not occur if the person purchasing the firearm does so with the intent of making it a gift."

It really doesn't matter because I'm dealing with anyone who can't go buy a new gun on their own. But in Kentucky anyone can purchase a used gun.

Heck I went to the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot this year. Wow, people walking around selling just about anything there and anyone can purchase it and take it home....legally. As with any gun show in Kentucky. Heck handguns are advertised in the classified ads all the time down here.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Not if it is class 3 ... Anyone caught with a class 3 with out the stamp is commiting a felony. I don't care personally just don't want incorrect info put out there. What goes on verses what is legal are two different stories. The point is you can give it to whoever, if you are knowingly giving it to a person who can't go to a legitimate ffl and buy one, in most states you are breaking the law. I can't believe that Kentucky has no law against such or maybe you will just get that person arrested for the illegal possession of a firearm.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Look at krs 237.070 as it clearly states knowingly transfering to a convicted felon is a class A misdemeanor.