For Bubba

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beartracks

Bearcat
Dremel_Temptation.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
used right, its a near perfect hand tool. Like for splitting the front sight on a Smith 469 so's ya can add in glodot plastic and make that nubbie into a very visible combat sight.

Don't knock it. Learn how to use it.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
You tell 'im, Bubba...I mean Sharps40! (Just kidding.)

I agree, the Dremel is an amazing device when used well. The problem is that so many people confuse the ability to grind/cut/what-have-you very fast with the ability to do those things well. It's very easy to remove way too much material in the blink of an eye with a Dremel.

Almost anything that can be done with a Dremel can be done with stones, files, and emery cloth it just takes ten times as long...and when it comes to gun smithing most folks would be better off sticking to those tools as there is far less chance of "bubba-ing" an expensive piece of iron... BTW, I include myself in "most folks" for almost all work although I have to admit that it's hard to beat a Dremel and cutoff wheel for bobbing the thumb spur on a hammer.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Those cut-off wheels are amazing for shortening almost any hard metal object like a screw or nail or music wire. :D

roylt

Hunter
I am bubba too.

At least the pic shows the variable speed unit. Now the Dremel with the on/off switch should not be used in my opinion.

cadillo

Blackhawk
They are great tools, but like one's unmentionables should only be used with due discretion. As far as gun work, I've only used mine to polish the feed ramps on semi-autos using nothing more abrasive than Flitz or Simichrome. Fantastic results.

I've watched the best Smith & Wesson mechanic I've ever known use his to contour, smooth, and polish a trigger for double action shooting. When he was done, the trigger looked like it was chrome plated, was as slick as snot on a doorknob, and a great enhancement for double action shooting. Since then he has done several others for me. He's retired now, but I've got one more that I'm trying to get him to do his Dremel magic on.

Perhaps the OP had a bad experience first time out with his. Due discretion!

Beartracks

Bearcat
"Perhaps the OP had a bad experience first time out with his. Due discretion!"

Perhaps the OP put this up as a joke, as I've seen far too many Bubba-ized firearms. Sorry this went over everyone's head.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Beartracks,

I like it!!

A Dremel is no different than someone shooting a handgun for the 1st time. Don't expect to take it right out of the box and shoot bullseyes at 50 yards; it takes practice, learning, concentration, technique and more practice. If I had given up on guns because of my 1st range results with a handgun, how much poorer would I be for all the pleasure I'd missed.

Well, uh...come to think of it, actually I'm much poorer because I didn't give up on guns! :roll:

Ronniet

Single-Sixer
Mine are all the old 395 -5 type.
Never use the on off type.
I have a "battery" of them all plugged in and hanging and all with a different tool in them so I don't have to change nothing out.
They are NOT to take the place of other tools like stoning , buffers, Hammers, punches buts used correctly you can get parts close and then hand fit.
Ron

Joe S.

Hunter
I have used a Dremel with good results, but I have REALLY SCREWED SOME STUFF UP with one too...

I like the OP's demotivational poster! good stuff!!

rgp375

Bearcat
I can screw up something with an ordinary hand file at least as well as anybody can with a Dremel, but doing it with the regular file does require a little more patience.

Instant results CAN be obtained but they generally are not what the project was started out to be. I too have used a Dremel and never had any problems. Attention to detail and patience is the clue to working with any motorized tool. Also, use the correct tool for the job. If you don't know what that tool is then you can do two things. Find out the correct tool or know a good gunsmith.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
because I know my name would be changed to Bubba, I refuse to own or even handle one. I'm far better off to leave gun smithing to professionals.

meister mash

Bearcat
:lol:
Well there are places where hand tools won't fit.
If I feel that I need more control then I try to use hand stuff.
Those diamond tipped bits are great on harder material.
The cut off wheels are a must have for pins and screws.
I have the higher powered model and I can put the flexible shaft on it and have the right angle head also.
And I have fubared many things with mine. :oops:

Latest posts