Fix for pitted Bearcat frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had to reweld a few broken frizzens. The process of blending in the original shapes and carvings along with the whole color case and adding "patina" is truly art. I've also rewelded swords and numerous other things. I've done historical copper work a few times.

So- going back to your initial pictures. The damage appears to be shy of each end/corner. When you clean that area up try and leave the original finish on the corners. I'd block sand to remove the dings if they're not too deep. Or fill with JB and sand. Then blend ( with 600 or finer grit ) in the bare aluminum to the black portion you left at the ends. I like to finish with a grey Scotch Brite pad- I use that same pad to dull shiny grips. Now tape off the sides, and the front and back straps, but leave the tape not fully adhered right up to the corners. Spray multiple light coats instead of heavy ones. I'll bet you can make it invisible. The key is keeping any color variation at the corner and make it a soft transition instead of a hard line.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
"I'm sure almost any attempt to repair will stand out way more than those tiny specks. If it bothers you that much send it to Bolen for a proper going over."

I believe he said "ALMOST" any attempt....!

Does that help.....?

J.
I know that "I'm sure" does not change the meaning of "almost".
I agree, a large area to fix a small blemish will stand out more if the gun will be used which he said it will be. The spray finish will wear off quickly and look worse than not doing anything.

The blemishes stand out because they shine. A better option for such small blemishes is not to sand and remove all the finish on the butt. Just clean the surface with acetone and spray with alumahyde. Wipe the butt with a very thin cloth wrapped tightly around a smooth surface like a ruler. This leaves the spray only covering the bright spots. Another option is touching up the bright spots with black Sharpie felt tip pen or a gun finish touch up pen found on-line or local gun shop. Then use the wiper. The less cover up finish you use, the less there is to wear off.

I know that "I'm sure" does not change the meaning of "almost".
I agree, a large area to fix a small blemish will stand out more if the gun will be used which he said it will be. The spray finish will wear off quickly and look worse than not doing anything.

The blemishes stand out because they shine. A better option for such small blemishes is not to sand and remove all the finish on the butt. Just clean the surface with acetone and spray with alumahyde. Wipe the butt with a very thin cloth wrapped tightly around a smooth surface like a ruler. This leaves the spray only covering the bright spots. Another option is touching up the bright spots with black Sharpie felt tip pen or a gun finish touch up pen found on-line or local gun shop. Then use the wiper. The less cover up finish you use, the less there is to wear off.
Exactly. Those look like pores left from the anodizing process. It's not a Brand New Korth or anything.

Last edited:

Latest posts