Old Super Blackhawk grip for old model vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just picked up an old model 45 colt Vaquero, polished stainless with 7 1/2" bbl. I would like to replace the grip frame with the old Super Blackhawk frame with the squared trigger guard and maybe a Bisley hammer. Anybody know a smith that could do the job in less than a year? I also thought about opening up the rear sight slot by a thousand or two.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted,, the grip frames swap around easily.

However,, if you are parts shopping,, you may need to be a little clearer in your nomenclature.

There aren't any "Old Model Vaquero's" but there are "Old Model Super Blackhawks." The differences are the true Old Models are a 3-screw, non-transfer bar action, AND,, the grip frames have the trigger return spring in a hole behind the trigger, with a plunger & spring. A New Model, has 2-pins, a transfer bar, and the trigger return spring is mounted on a cross pin in the rear area of the grip frame, with a part of the spring on a ledge at the rear of the trigger.

So, if you buy an "Old Model Super Blackhawk" grip frame, it won't work in your New Model "ORIGINAL" Vaquero. You will need a New Model Super Blackhawk grip frame & grips to fit to your Original Vaquero.

The Bisley hammer may need modifying as well, due to the differences in the rear portion of the hammer. (All Bisley hammers from Ruger are for the New Model, with the safety transfer bar.)

As noted,, the grip frames swap around easily.

However,, if you are parts shopping,, you may need to be a little clearer in your nomenclature.

There aren't any "Old Model Vaquero's" but there are "Old Model Super Blackhawks." The differences are the true Old Models are a 3-screw, non-transfer bar action, AND,, the grip frames have the trigger return spring in a hole behind the trigger, with a plunger & spring. A New Model, has 2-pins, a transfer bar, and the trigger return spring is mounted on a cross pin in the rear area of the grip frame, with a part of the spring on a ledge at the rear of the trigger.

So, if you buy an "Old Model Super Blackhawk" grip frame, it won't work in your New Model "ORIGINAL" Vaquero. You will need a New Model Super Blackhawk grip frame & grips to fit to your Original Vaquero.

The Bisley hammer may need modifying as well, due to the differences in the rear portion of the hammer. (All Bisley hammers from Ruger are for the New Model, with the safety transfer bar.)
The frame just says Ruger Vaquero on it so I assumed ot was an old model. I guess I'll kust have to look up the serial number.

G2

Hunter
FYI: 2 types of Vaquero's,,, Vaquero & New Vaquero,,, both are New Model guns.

Now with that said,,,
Some confusion happens when a Vaquero is referred to as Old Model, in an effort to convey Original, or Full Size, or Two Digit SN# Prefix.

Say; New Vaquero, because it states that in the side of the gun, That is a "Medium" size frame,,, with a Three Digit SN# Prefix.

The 2/3 Digit SN# Prefix designation does have an exception, when a 44 Magnum is involved,,, another day & discussion.

Robb Barnes suggestion of John Powers is an excellent option,,, IMO.
contender's post is just trying to let you know you need a New Model Super Blackhawk Grip Frame, if your wanting the square back trigger guard.

Another option is Hunter grip frame, same Super Size with a Round Trigger guard.
Most don't care for the knuckle bustin square back in larger calibers and opt for the Hunter option.

fwiw; Before the Hunter GF came available, some would have the Square Back reformed to round.

I didn't care for the smaller XR3 grip frame that came on the 50th Anniversary of the 44 Mag Flattop,
I changed it out for a Brass Hunter GF, now it is a pleasure to shoot. At the same time changed out the Hammer to a Super.
52084302922_b59e55c4db_k.jpg

I like where your going with making your gun yours…😁 and I like the Look & Size of the Square Back GF (Most commonly referred as Dragoon.
Brass Dragoon
on my 30 carbine
51954616319_5a86e571a8_k.jpg

Last edited:
FYI: 2 types of Vaquero's,,, Vaquero & New Vaquero,,, both are New Model guns.

Now with that said,,,
Some confusion happens when a Vaquero is referred to as Old Model, in an effort to convey Original, or Full Size, or Two Digit SN# Prefix.

Say; New Vaquero, because it states that in the side of the gun, That is a "Medium" size frame,,, with a Three Digit SN# Prefix.

The 2/3 Digit SN# Prefix designation does have an exception, when a 44 Magnum is involved,,, another day & discussion.

Robb Barnes suggestion of John Powers is an excellent option,,, IMO.
contender's post is just trying to let you know you need a New Model Super Blackhawk Grip Frame, if your wanting the square back trigger guard.

Another option is Hunter grip frame, same Super Size with a Round Trigger guard.
Most don't care for the knuckle bustin square back in larger calibers and opt for the Hunter option.

fwiw; Before the Hunter GF came available, some would have the Square Back reformed to round.

I didn't care for the smaller XR3 grip frame that came on the 50th Anniversary of the 44 Mag Flattop,
I changed it out for a Brass Hunter GF, now it is a pleasure to shoot. At the same time changed out the Hammer to a Super.
52084302922_b59e55c4db_k.jpg

I like where your going with making your gun yours…😁 and I like the Look & Size of the Square Back GF (Most commonly referred as Dragoon.
Brass Dragoon
on my 30 carbine
51954616319_5a86e571a8_k.jpg
Just took some measurements and according to the following chart it is a large frame Vaquero. Additionally it has a 57- serial number which when looked up was manufactured in 2000.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.png
    IMG_0965.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 24

contender

Ruger Guru
G2 has covered things in more detail.
A very good explanation.

You have an "Original Vaquero" which has the same main frame size as the Blackhawks. And as I mentioned,, grip frames will easily screw on. But a true Old Model has a different action, (no safety transfer bar system,) and you will need a New Model grip frame.
I just didn't want you to try & get an OM grip frame,, and not have it work. And again,, ALL Vaquero's are of the New Model design, having the transfer bar action.

G2 has covered things in more detail.
A very good explanation.

You have an "Original Vaquero" which has the same main frame size as the Blackhawks. And as I mentioned,, grip frames will easily screw on. But a true Old Model has a different action, (no safety transfer bar system,) and you will need a New Model grip frame.
I just didn't want you to try & get an OM grip frame,, and not have it work. And again,, ALL Vaquero's are of the New Model design, having the transfer bar action.
I had assumed old model was in reference to frame size. Thanx for the info on the grip frame. Can I assume that my revolver can shoot the Ruger only loads?

contender

Ruger Guru
Yes,, your gun is capable of the "Ruger only" loads.

No problem on your assumption about the old vs the new lingo used. Part of it is Ruger's fault,, and part of it is how some folks don't understand the terminology normally used by those of us who collect. But the biggest thing is the confusion when a person who does want something else,, like a grip frame or grips or whatever,, and they can't understand exactly what to buy. Then they buy something & it doesn't work.
That's what I was trying to prevent.

If you spend a little time around here & studying a bit,, you'll soon learn the basics of things & be a lot less confused.
And you can impress your friends with your knowledge of Rugers. :D

Yes,, your gun is capable of the "Ruger only" loads.

No problem on your assumption about the old vs the new lingo used. Part of it is Ruger's fault,, and part of it is how some folks don't understand the terminology normally used by those of us who collect. But the biggest thing is the confusion when a person who does want something else,, like a grip frame or grips or whatever,, and they can't understand exactly what to buy. Then they buy something & it doesn't work.
That's what I was trying to prevent.

If you spend a little time around here & studying a bit,, you'll soon learn the basics of things & be a lot less confused.
And you can impress your friends with your knowledge of Rugers. :D
Thanx for your advice. My only concern between "old" and "new" was to use upper level loads, ie. 250-275 grain loads @ 1000 f/s, that could also be used in my Henry carbine. As far as the grip frame, I have big paws and wanted a little more to hold on to.
Thanx again😊

I like the Ruger Hunter grip frames, and currently have one on a Single Six and on a New Vaquero. I also prefer the Super hammer. All this can be done with Ruger parts. But- RW Gripframes can fix you up with custom grip frames in both brass and aluminum, and Ronnie has some hammers coming out too. You might want to check his stuff out.

Here's my New Vaquero with a polished stainless Super Hunter frame and hammer, and a Single Six with the polished Super Hunter frame. And, just to add an example, a Blackhawk with a RW Gripframes "Dealer" frame, Bisley trigger and Super hammer.
IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

IMG_7641.jpeg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you still want a Bisley hammer for use with a non Bisley grip frame get the power custom bisley hammer modified for that purpose and save yourself the tedious work of modifying the the Ruger Bisley hammer hump on the back.

Then your hammer and super grip frame will all bolt on your original (actually any Vaquero) without needing a gunsmith.

The only extra work for you will be some minor fitting for the new grip frame to fit flush with your main frame. And to polish or buff the super grip frame to match your high polish vaquero. The super grip frame in stainless only comes with a brushed finish. Try to find a used super grip frame that's been on a gun already, it'll need little or no fitting, just polishing.

contender

Ruger Guru
"As far as the grip frame, I have big paws and wanted a little more to hold on to."

Actually,, this is one of the main reasons Ronnie Wells got into making grip frames. He too has bigger hands & wanted a better grip frame to fit his paws!

I like the Ruger Hunter grip frames, and currently have one on a Single Six and on a New Vaquero. I also prefer the Super hammer. All this can be done with Ruger parts. But- RW Gripframes can fix you up with custom grip frames in both brass and aluminum, and Ronnie has some hammers coming out too. You might want to check his stuff out.

Here's my New Vaquero with a polished stainless Super Hunter frame and hammer, and a Single Six with the polished Super Hunter frame. And, just to add an example, a Blackhawk with a RW Gripframes "Dealer" frame, Bisley trigger and Super hammer. View attachment 37900

View attachment 37901

View attachment 37902
Some beautiful Rugers there!

gnappi

Single-Sixer
I don't have big mitts and on some Ruger grip frames my pinkie isn't fully on the grip, so I also like the Super Blackhawk (either trigger guard) and Bisley grip frames. Actually the Birdshead fits me also.

Kickingandscreaming the grip frame is a relatively easy swap, the Bisley hammer swap is not straightforward (see pic of metal to be removed) though the wide spur super Blackhawk hammer is.

A gunsmith isn't really needed for these mods unless you're really not comfortable with hand tools.

Attachments

• ruger_blackhawk_overlay_bisley_mark up_r.jpg
    ruger_blackhawk_overlay_bisley_mark up_r.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts