Federal bulk packs at walmart

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I noticed last night they are now $18.97 a box! That's up from $13.47 a year ago (when they had them). It's not suprising that they went up, but that's quite a jump. We could have avoided the ammo shortage if they had done this a year ago.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Yep, they went up here too, got three packs yesterday but they were already out of the Remingtons I usually use. Before the shortage, due to the hoarding dummies, I was shooting 2000-3000rds a month. Down to probably not more than 6000-8000 all of last year due to availability. This is gonna put a damper on my shootin'.

Now we know where it was all going... not to the hoarders but you were shooting it all CragC!

I think I paid $16 and something for a box of the federals about a month or so ago down in North Augusta S.C.

swoter

Bearcat
Bought 2 bricks of Federal Lightning's couple of days ago for 14.70 a brick. This was Walmart, and they still had 2 or 3 bricks left.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
The last batch of those that I bought had several that would not fire, even with good firing pin hits.

DSC00013.JPG

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
swoter":1te5s2ln said:
Bought 2 bricks of Federal Lightening's couple of days ago for 14.70 a brick. This was Walmart, and they still had 2 or 3 bricks left.
I guess I should have mentioned that too. The 50 count boxes of Fed Lightnings were $1.47 each (that'd be $14.70 a brick). I bought a couple of boxes to try them out.

Jeff: Are you talking about the Lightnings or the bulk pack ammo?

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Jayhawkhuntclub":cbgpvnq2 said:
swoter":cbgpvnq2 said:
Bought 2 bricks of Federal Lightening's couple of days ago for 14.70 a brick. This was Walmart, and they still had 2 or 3 bricks left.
I guess I should have mentioned that too. The 50 count boxes of Fed Lightnings were $1.47 each (that'd be $14.70 a brick). I bought a couple of boxes to try them out.

Jeff: Are you talking about the Lightnings or the bulk pack ammo?

Bulk Pac hollowpoints, 550 per box from Wal Mart. This is usually very good ammo, but this last batch that I bought really sucks.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
mine ran out of the Federal bulk packs so I went to the Winchester 333 pack and its not near as accurate through my Mark III target.
i cant wait for them to get the Federal bulk packs back in stock.

CraigC

Hawkeye
blume357":2hc3mi4d said:
Now we know where it was all going... not to the hoarders but you were shooting it all CraigC!
Ha!!! :D

I did manage to find Remingtons last night a couple towns away. Jacked up prices there too, bought six but they had more.

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Jayhawkhuntclub":1cl4dpbn said:
I noticed last night they are now $18.97 a box! That's up from $13.47 a year ago (when they had them).
On March 16, 2009, the US average price for a gallon of gasoline was $1.88. On March 15, 2010, the US average price for a gallon of gasoline was $2.76.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
scottaschultz":2klueicn said:
Jayhawkhuntclub":2klueicn said:
I noticed last night they are now $18.97 a box! That's up from $13.47 a year ago (when they had them).
On March 16, 2009, the US average price for a gallon of gasoline was $1.88. On March 15, 2010, the US average price for a gallon of gasoline was $2.76.

True, but ammo did not go thru a huge recession and currency caused dip like gas did. It was also $4.25 / gallon in the summer of 2008. :roll:

Snake45

Hawkeye
My Wally's had Fed Bulks last week for $15.47, that's down one dollar from their peak price last summer. I've bought several boxes of them so far this year but have NOT had a chance to shoot any of this year's product.

I still have quite a few boxes of them I bought at under $10.

My Wally's has not had Rem GBs for many months, but they are now carrying the Turdbolts, which I refuse to buy. :evil:

Snake45

Hawkeye
My Wally's had the $18.97 :shock: price on the Fed Bulks today. Yikes! Up $3.50 in one week? :shock:

I HOPE this turns out to be some sort of price glitch in the system. I still need several more boxes to get me through my planned shooting this year. I have enough on hand to get me through the next couple months, hopefully by then the price will have come back down.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
1gunsnotenough":2v1s9q1d said:
I picked up 3 Fed. 550 packs today at local Wal-Mart $14.97 ea.

You better go get some more... price is up or going up. I think after they do inventory the prices go up... but I can't understand why some are up now and others are not. Me thinks the deal you got is a mistake and it will be corrected soon. :lol:

Snake45

Hawkeye
PAVTXER":3581gyi4 said:
1gunsnotenough":3581gyi4 said:
I picked up 3 Fed. 550 packs today at local Wal-Mart $14.97 ea.

You better go get some more... price is up or going up. I think after they do inventory the prices go up... but I can't understand why some are up now and others are not. Me thinks the deal you got is a mistake and it will be corrected soon. :lol:
I think there's at least a 50-50 chance there's a mistake in the other direction. The stuff was $16.47 a month or two ago, then last month dropped to $15.47, and they had plenty of it on hand. Now it's $18.47 and they have LOTS on hand. It makes more sense that the price should be dropping to $14.97, not going UP at this point. But I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks and see what happens.

I almost think it should be $13.97 and someone at "central" misread or mis-keyed the number as $18.97 and it went into the system that way. But we'll see.

No way Fed Bulk should be $18.97 unless the next cheapest ammo is at least $25. It's the LEAST accurate .22 ammo I've ever tested (although it's among the cleanest, and it works in almost everything--good lots of it, anyway).

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I got the only 3 boxes they had. I've had fairly good luck with the accuracy with them. They wouldn't win any matches but I usually get about a .2" to .75" group with them out of my 40x and M22. Usually 4 good and 1 flier. But it is good overall plinking ammo. I generally use it for plinking in my MKIIs. it is clean and most of the time they all go bang. A lot better than other bulk ammo.

CraigC

Hawkeye
All their bulk stuff went up, Federal, Remington and Winchester. It's all nearing $20 a box. I've always had good results with Federal, except that it won't cycle some semi-autos. Remington always gives a much more noticeable report and cycles the guns that the Feds won't. The Remington is just a much better game bullet with its considerable hollow cavity, compared to Federal's dimple.

As a side note, I'm gonna try sorting Remington GB's by weight. Out of my new 10/22 I can get a tiny little group with a flyer just about every time. By tiny, I mean less than a half inch at 50yds. Anybody can feel free to send me the "garbage" Remington ammo you don't want. ;)

Snake45

Hawkeye
CraigC":34ql7p92 said:
I've always had good results with Federal, except that it won't cycle some semi-autos.
I never had that problem with them until 2008.

Remington always gives a much more noticeable report and cycles the guns that the Feds won't.
Same experience here.

As a side note, I'm gonna try sorting Remington GB's by weight. Out of my new 10/22 I can get a tiny little group with a flyer just about every time. By tiny, I mean less than a half inch at 50yds.
I have the same thing happen with the Federal Lightning/Champion 510s. I doubt that sorting the GBs by weight will eliminate the flyer problem but good luck with your experiment and let us know how it goes.