Opinions on a .22lr rifle with a 30 MOA scope base shooting at 25yds to 50yds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought I Bergara BXR rifle for $584. It has a thick carbon fiber 16.5 inch barrel, plastic stock, match trigger. The action is a near copy of a 1022. The 30MOA base is part of the receiver. My hope is that I can sight it in to hit point of aim, point of contact at 25 or 50 yds. I might want to shoot out to about 100yd also. I put on a 2x7 Vortex crossfire scope to take to the range tomorrow. I thought the base could be removed and a standard base put on it until I paid for it. Will post my sight in results.

Get a mil dot scope and develop your dope chart to put inside the scope cap. You should be able to transition from 25-300yds without changing anything if you collimate the reticle to the bore and have a bubble level in the scope.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
According to the Vortex specs you have 60 moa of elevation adjustment in that scope. That's 30 up and 30 down. Might be lucky enough to get it zeroed if tolerances are tight but having the scope set in the extreme end of the adjustment range is not ideal.

I went through the same issue with a Bergara BMR 22 Mag a while back. Ran out of scope and had to put a 0 moa rail on it. Putting 30 moa rails on rimfires from the factory is frikin idiotic. Id say the ones wanting to shoot long range rimfires are the minority and make them buy the rail needed and let the normal crowd have a 0 moa rail out of the box.

Maybe he shouldn't have bought a long range specific gun for normal plinking??? A mil dot with the top plex for 25yds, center 150 yds or so and bottom plex 200+ish depending if it's a FFP or not. I have a 300 set up like that with a 10-40 FFP and I can get to 1,800yds on the scope without adjustment.

9x19

Hunter
Does Burris still offer their Signature rings with the inserts you can use to alter the inclination of your scope?

Might be an option if the integral rail's 30 moa is too much for your needs.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Maybe he shouldn't have bought a long range specific gun for normal plinking??? A mil dot with the top plex for 25yds, center 150 yds or so and bottom plex 200+ish depending if it's a FFP or not. I have a 300 set up like that with a 10-40 FFP and I can get to 1,800yds on the scope without adjustment.

You were on my ignore list but curiosity got the best of me here. So if I understand correctly , a 10/22 clone is a long range specific gun? Haha! Should have known better than to click on your post. Back to ignoring you…

You were on my ignore list but curiosity got the best of me here. So if I understand correctly , a 10/22 clone is a long range specific gun? Haha! Should have known better than to click on your post. Back to ignoring you…
What exactly would you call a 22 with match grade components and a 30moa optic rail??? Why would anyone want a 30moa optic rail??? Do you know anything about firearms whatsoever???

Well, I started at 50yds and 1st group shot about 2 inch low. Scope had adjustment and got it sighted in great. Went to 100 yd but with a 7 power scope it lacks seeing much detail. Group was about 6 inch low and scope adjusted up to get a zero. 10 shot groups went from 1 inch at 50yd to about 5 inch at 100yd. I was shooting federal auto match 40 gr. lead and CCI mini mag 36 gr HP and 40 gr solid. I ran ammo through Ruger 10, 15 and 25 round mags. I had feeding problems with the CCI mini mag hollow points 36 gr. The other 2 fired fine.
I am going to search for a larger magnification scope. One advantage this action has over my Ruger 1022s is the hole in the rear of receiver to push a cleaning rod from the chamber to muzzle. The trigger is not much different than the Ruger BX trigger I have in a sporter. It does have a larger mag release that can be used by either hand.
Thanks for your opinions.

"Went to 100 yd but with a 7 power scope it lacks seeing much detail."
Not contradicting you but this seems odd to me. I often have issues with some scopes, my eyes, and my glasses working against one another with some scopes. VORTEX scopes usually aren't difficult to work with but then I'm more of a hunter than a bullseye shooter.:unsure:
If you do run out of adjustment, I'd suggest BURRIS eccentric insert rings. I've used them to correct improper alignment of scope base holes in sporterized military rifle receivers and they'll work as well to offset the built in MOA slant of your receiver.

A rifle like this warrants decent glass. Nikon has a nice BDC scope that won't break the bank. If you have a 250-300yd range handy you can really wring it out. That's why it has a 30moa rail.

oldcrab

Bearcat
A standard velocity 22-round drops 30 moa at 250 yards, or so.
At 100 yards, if you are zeroed at 25, you only need a 6-moa adjustment, which any scope without a rail would do easily.

A standard velocity 22-round drops 30 moa at 250 yards, or so.
At 100 yards, if you are zeroed at 25, you only need a 6-moa adjustment, which any scope without a rail would do easily.
Exactly!!! This is a rifle optimized for 2-300yd shooting. Yeah who uses a 10-22 knockoff for long range 🤣😂🤣😂. Some people make me Giggle 😂🤣😂🤣

wagon

Single-Sixer
OP: All depends on your scope, i have a 30 moa EGW rail on both of my 10/22, I put a Meopta Optika5 2-10x for my wife to shoot in Appleseed, no issue to zero @25

Good luck.

As a master class smallbore position shooter in my past. When I was allowed to use a scope, I had a fixed 20 power Redfield made just for that. From 50 ft to 100 yd it worked out well. Standing is a bit of a challenge, but that's what practice is for. In prone you learn to fire between heart beats.
This will be a range rifle for paper and steel targets from the bench and positions just to keep me in practice.
I am leaning to a large variable power scope so I can see the bullet holes without using a spotting scope. Likely want standard cross hairs or dot. I can turn the adjustment knobs for distance.
Bushnell makes several as does Vortex in brands I am know. In Vortex there is a Crossfire 6-24 50mm AO that is about the type I am looking at.