Ever wonder what John Taffin looks like?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
I would think anyone who has been into guns any length of time would know what Taffin looks like. He's only been writing about guns for probably 50 years now! But, I do have that same book and I understand what you mean! LOL

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I would think anyone who has been into guns any length of time would know what Taffin looks like. He's only been writing about guns for probably 50 years now! But, I do have that same book and I understand what you mean! LOL

Thank you. I love the book, but the number of selfies was a bit jarring.

And I knew what he looks like ;)

Chief 101

Hunter
41 you can likely go to your local range and chat with him anytime...well weekdays anyhows.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I have that and several other of his books. I'm not sure if he chose all the pics or his editor did; but the pics do help illustrate that he isn't just making it up.

FWIW: Last year, I bought a new model anaconda off him (featured in one of his books) and spoke with his FFL. He attested that John is the real deal and shoots a LOT.

Recognized him one time, at my table, at a Ruger Collectors display show. Tried to greet or otherwise engage him, but I could not get thru his elitism. He walked away not giving me another glance. After all, he's a gun writer. :cool:

And that's why I don't think real highly of many gun writers, 'ceptins the Quinn's. I've talked to them on the phone in previous days.. Quite friendly and respectful.
:)

Last edited:

41Dude

Single-Sixer
I have that and several other of his books. I'm not sure if he chose all the pics or his editor did; but the pics do help illustrate that he isn't just making it up.

FWIW: Last year, I bought a new model anaconda off him (featured in one of his books) and spoke with his FFL. He attested that John is the real deal and shoots a LOT.
I 👍 agree. I love the book. Super happy I bought it. I was making a joke about all the selfies. Nothing mean spirited about it.
It is real windy here today so I will twist my arm and go load some ammo 😀

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
Been reading his writings for 40+ years...He's pretty much the only reason that I keep renewing my American Handgunner & Guns magazine subscriptions.

Well I have no idea who he is but it was not that hard and I did not have to buy a coffee table book.

John Taffin.jpg

41Dude

Single-Sixer
Well I have no idea who he is but it was not that hard and I did not have to buy a coffee table book.

View attachment 44494
Lol. You are bad. I suppose I could have made an image search. But I really wanted the book. I shoot more mid range 44 mag loads than everything else. Fun to read more about the history.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
Wayno: That is disappointing to hear. I wonder if it is hearing loss or something like that.

When I bought that anaconda revolver from him, I communicated with him via PM and his FFL via phone and email. When I inquired about the scope mount mentioned in article, he hunted it up and tossed it in. He also included a print out of his Guns article on it with hand written annotations and bunch other stuff for provenance. Think he must have also had an action job done on it as best trigger on any of my revolvers.

Ranger

Single-Sixer
FWIW: When I picked up the revolver at my FFL, he was impressed by the revolver and stuff that came with it; but had never heard of John Taffin. Probably about 30. Been in father's archery business all his life and got into guns maybe 8-10 years ago...

Good for him yes there are a few outfits that print any book for you, ala "
pre pay" ( vanity printing) and as for getting written up in any books , or magazine or newspapers, I've been more times than I can think of and sorry. but it has done NOTHING for me....,met many of these guys since the 1960s in the gun business, for me it was working on guns for customers ( yes even warranty work for some of the manufacturers) and even had words with many of them, did kinda tell off Elmer Keith at one of the NRA conventions back in the early 90s, NEVER had any pictures taken, we did not do that back the, for us it was "just a job" let alone have a camera or a smart phone like they do today...I always figured and said. " they put their pants on one leg at a time", no big deal, good they had a day job and got to write articles even if it is all too often "over and over" gotta have fresh stuff for each months issue, oh well "ce lavive".........:unsure:;)

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Back yonder a few years I met quite a few of the "Gun Writers". Most of 'em were pretty decent fellows. Elmer was a hoot with his stories. Jack O'Connor...not so much. I had a few guns owned by gun writers...only one left though. Savage 99C in 250 Savage. Doubt it's been shot 20 times Purty rifle though. Doubt I'll ever shoot it either so going on an auction. A friend has a Browning BAR once owned by a writer also. Pretty rifle too. I once had a 1st year Ruger 44 Flattop owned by a writer who did an article on Arvo Ojala. It was in a holster rig made by Arvo. I got more for the Arvo Ojala rig than I did for the gun