Scariest movie ever?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Same here.
Saw it at the post theater at Fort Brooke in San Juan, Puerto Rico when it first came out in 1951. James Arness played the monster.

That night back in our quarters both my older brothers & I (age six) were still so scared & crying, we kept our parents up for several hours.
Luckily it was a Friday night.
But Mom & Dad said no more scary movies for us.
I saw the "Thing" in the Tinker USAF Base Theater. After the movie I had to walk home thru a REALLY DARK field. I died 3-4 times on the way home. I was 7 at the time.
When Grandson was around 7 it was on TV we watched it and he stopped watching it from being scared about half way thru.

The first movie that I remember scaring me was just a scene or two in it......those flying Monkeys in The Wizard of Oz got me running out of the room. I remember being teased at my friends house when we went over to watch it on their new color TV.

The second I remember was Creature From The Black Lagoon. The music whenever the Gil Man was near......and that gaping mouth. Hard to believe I used to be in largemouth bass competitions lol.

Next would be The Exorcist....we snuck into a drive in with my friends older brother. He hid us under a tarp and other stuff in the bed of his truck. A few years later we visited the stairs when partying in Georgetown.

The last movie to freak me out was the original Amityville Horror. When the actual events happened we lived nearby on Long Island. Lived in Maryland when the movie came out....that dang floating pig and red eyes in the window had me a bit jumpy for a few nights.
Glad to see someone else doesn't like flying monkeys much-unless they are fried. :cool: I almost added the Creature from the Black Lagoon as well-we share great taste in films. Think I was in the 4th grade at the time. We walked to the movies on Saturday and then home. After the Creature it was a very long walk home. Still need someone to hold my hand when I think about it. Maybe why I gave up taking baths for the shower-much safer.

No way was The Creature from the Black Lagoon as scary as "The Thing" well I was 11 when I saw the Creature from the Black Lagoon and 7 when I saw The Thing

Yeper on the Julie Adams :) :)
1711922946129.png

No wonder he carried her off
1711922424037.png

Last edited:

Baxter6551

Bearcat
The original Excorsist when you are 17 and half in the bag from what you and your buddies were drinking in the parking lot sitting in the 66 Dodge Polara cause the first show was sold out and it was decided to wait for the next show. Just drunk enough to make you know for sure that the movie was real !

tiger955

Bearcat
The Blob back in my early years.... More recently "The Sixth Sense" , sometimes I almost wonder if I am living it?

ProfessorWes

Hawkeye
If you want intense, there is nothing more intense than the beginning of "Inglorious Bastards", the scene in the French farmer's house. Quiet and civilized with the tension building incredibly.

Yes, that was brilliant. And the restaurant scene later in IB was another masterpiece of cinema, from the moment they sat down at the table to the climactic gunfight.

But the thing about Quentin Tarantino that irritates me to no end: He's a brilliant filmmaker who's produced some all-time classic scenes in his films, but on the other hand his arrogance infects everything he touches. Tarantino considers himself the hippest, smartest, coolest cat in the room and can't wait to tell you all about it. Rub your nose in it, even.

Still, even with Tarantino's oversized ego stinking up the joint, Inglourious Basterds is a fun movie to watch. Especially back-to-back with The Dirty Dozen, any time you feel your life hasn't had enough dead Nazis in it lately. Heck, add Sisu and make it a trilogy . . . :cool:

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Yes, that was brilliant. And the restaurant scene later in IB was another masterpiece of cinema, from the moment they sat down at the table to the climactic gunfight.

But the thing about Quentin Tarantino that irritates me to no end: He's a brilliant filmmaker who's produced some all-time classic scenes in his films, but on the other hand his arrogance infects everything he touches. Tarantino considers himself the hippest, smartest, coolest cat in the room and can't wait to tell you all about it. Rub your nose in it, even.

Still, even with Tarantino's oversized ego stinking up the joint, Inglourious Basterds is a fun movie to watch. Especially back-to-back with The Dirty Dozen, any time you feel your life hasn't had enough dead Nazis in it lately. Heck, add Sisu and make it a trilogy . . . :cool:
I agree with your personal assessment of QT and it tainted everything of his I've ever seen of his except Jackie Brown. And then a couple months ago I saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which is absolutely genius--one of the best movies of any kind I've ever seen. (y) (y) (y)