Scariest movie ever?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Hunter
Alien, it was at the theater for months and my wife and I went to see it at an afternoon matinee right before it left, sitting in the middle of probably 300 seats we were the only ones there. Also for some reason I rented The Ring and found that pretty scary. I don't find anything scary anymore.
My ex-wife and I went to see Alien with my cousin and his ex. Just when the "face-hugger" jumped out, she screamed about a 1/2 second too soon (they had seen it before). Everyone was looking at her instead of the scream. Never saw that scene until it was on pay-per-view!

What's the scariest move you have ever watched? Not necessarily the goriest, or the one that makes you jump in shock, but the one that sticks with you long after leaving the theater. For me, its the movie "The Descent", a 2005 film that ironically has an all female cast.
I was 7 in the mid 50s and watched the original B&W King Kong, it scared the crap out of me. That turned me off to scary movies to this day.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
Not a movie, but the William Shatner episode of Twilight Zone. When he opens the curtain and looks out the window.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shatner and John Lithgow did an absolutely hilarious sendup of that scene decades later in 3rd Rock from the Sun. :LOL:

GHollan

Bearcat
The Blob (1958) I was no more than 5 years old. My mom must not have been home and older brothers must have turned it on. A few of us kept running out of the room, cautiously coming back in. Funny that vivid memory has stayed with me all these years. I would like to watch it again; I would probably laugh.

The Exorcist (1973) I saw it in a theater and raised Catholic, including Catholic Schools, it freaked me out. I have no desire to see it or any sequels again.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
The first movie that I remember scaring me was just a scene or two in it......those flying Monkeys in The Wizard of Oz got me running out of the room. I remember being teased at my friends house when we went over to watch it on their new color TV.

The second I remember was Creature From The Black Lagoon. The music whenever the Gil Man was near......and that gaping mouth. Hard to believe I used to be in largemouth bass competitions lol.

Next would be The Exorcist....we snuck into a drive in with my friends older brother. He hid us under a tarp and other stuff in the bed of his truck. A few years later we visited the stairs when partying in Georgetown.

The last movie to freak me out was the original Amityville Horror. When the actual events happened we lived nearby on Long Island. Lived in Maryland when the movie came out....that dang floating pig and red eyes in the window had me a bit jumpy for a few nights.

pawncop

Blackhawk
One that disturbed me was "Catch-22". Strange movie and it really was on my mind for a very long time.

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
One that disturbed me was "Catch-22". Strange movie and it really was on my mind for a very long time.
Don't doubt that at all. I don't think of Catch-22 as particularly "scary," but I can think of several scenes in it that are VERY disturbing. :oops:

Achigan

Single-Sixer
"Midnight Express"
College age kid tries smuggling hash out of Turkey, gets caught and turned into a political pawn. Sadistic jailer plus Turkishprison...
I was I Thailand at the time.

#1. The Thing (original) = B & W and age 10!
#2. Alien (because it is really just the lifestyle of a wasp)
#3. Andromeda Strain (I was taking basic Zoology from a micro-biologist who had worked at NASA and he told us he couldn't give specifics, but "accidents" had happen
I think the movie that bothered me most was Sound of Freedom. But in the horror genre Tales from the Crypt early me out the most.