Do you shoot the BearCat Well?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
is it cheeper to chop the the grip of a single six that is shorten bottom like Ruger did some 32 mags? Because the cylinder frame size of the BearCat and the Single Six are the same It is the gripframe and the lockwork that makes it special. I have been considering the purchase of a 22mag BearCat because it just might be just as expensive to cut down a Six. Calthrop

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Call me a wet yellow dog yet yesterday I eye balled the top rear cylinderframe portion containing the cylinder/hammer only and they looked roughly in proportion to the size of my superimposed BC. Blot out the whole bottom of the guns and measure front to back only; top strap to bottom of the cylinders. To me they looked roughly the same.

There is is my problem. Overall the BearCat is smaller and compact. The Single Six can be chopped and channeled to be compact and fire a magnum round by current manufacture.

If I want a BearCat that fires a Magnum round I must find a convertible model and pay the premium.

When push comes to shove I would like to have a nice magnum BC than a shortened Single-Six.

Why did Ruger stop making the convertible BC? Was it the firing pin in the small space? Calthrop

My Dad bought an OM Bearcat back in the 60's and it is still in the family. I have made some long range shots with that gun that even I couldn't believe. If I do everything right, the bullet goes to exactly the right place.

But that's why I consider the Bearcat (and my S&W M63) as a training gun. It's light and small. If you are trying to shoot it well compared to a six inch S&W K-22, you are very handicapped. A heavier and larger gun is more forgiving. If you fail to squeeze the trigger straight to the rear, there goes your shot. If your grip varies from shot to shot, same thing. And that short sight radius doesn't help either.

I would bet that most OM Bearcats would shoot surprisingly well from a Ransom Rest. The hard part is to get them to do that in your hands!

Gregg

wproct

Single-Sixer
I once had a blued steel Bearcat that I bought new back in the 70's, had the brass colored trigger guard. I really loved the looks of it, and functioned perfectly, but I have rather large hands, and it was just too small for me to shoot comfortably. But they sure are a nice little revolver!

Calthrop, I made some pictures for comparrison purposes. The area where cylinder goes in is almost identical in length but the vertical area is 2 tenths of an inch larger in the single six. Also the cylinder of the single six is much bigger, I believe that is why the bearcat feels so compact. :)
Picture360.jpg

Picture359.jpg

Picture357.jpg

Picture353.jpg

G2

Hunter
As some of you know I am a Sucker for buying the Holster and then finding the gun to fit. This Holster is Vintage Brass Snaped Hunter, should have a OM but recently came across this .22 SS MAG that fits quite nice.
P1010003-4.jpg

P1010006-5.jpg

P1010008-3.jpg

MAG by A. Harton and I was going to send it back to Ruger for a LR Cylinder but after shooting it really see no need. I could hit a baseball starting @ 15yrds and ending @35yrds w/ all six shots. My first BC and it's a keeper . . . . maybe :shock:

POI is right on. I'm still thinking of changing the front sight to a Black Blade. Also needs a BM Basepin just because they look neat in these little jewels. Stags were in order but current grips help tie in the Holster.

I did a little homeboy gunsmithing adding a Dimpled Ejector Rod Button to aid in ejection with my FAT stumps.
P1010018-1.jpg

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Sharpblade7777 thank you for the images from the eye that never flinches. I was holding one gun below the other and perspective did me in.
G2 I have seen the work of Alan Harton featured on this Forum yet I have not till now seen a gun converted to fire magnum ammo too. Stainless works well for carry and would be worth the investment. You mentioned sending the gun back to Ruger for a regular cylinder. Would they not condemn the custom conversion after all they could not make the system work.

I shoot my blue new latest Bearcats very well. They are ammo sensitive with a taste for the warmer stuff. It is because I shoot the smaller gun so well I have or rather my Rugeritis has been heading me into the path of a magnum chambering.

Once and a while I have the opportunity to shoot a Bisley six inch .22 Single Six. It is a great plinker and desert walking piece, shoots like a lazer when I do my part. However it is not a packing gun.

I do not need to cut down a Single-Six I've got to find one of those mag-ma-tiz-ed BC's. Calthrop

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
My early Stainless shot so high and left @ 25 yards I just kept it for a curiousity, mostly. After several years I dug it out and discovered that if I went to great lengths I could get a good group with it. I added enough material to the front sight to make it .12 in width (anf higher) and filed out all I could of the notch rear sight. This made it group to point of aim @ 25 yards and leaves a wider band of light on either side of the front sight. Although I still struggle with it some days, I can hit a 2 1/2" diameter round steel target 4 or 5 times out of 6 shots @ 25 yards on most days from a rest. (It groups about 2 1/2" on paper, so this is the practical limit for target size). I carry the BearCat in an El Paso holster when I'm on the 4 wheeler - especially spraying weeds in the summer (snakes). It's great for this purpose.

BearBio

Buckeye
Muley Gil":12f0ohx3 said:
"My problem was my finger would get stuck in the trigger guard when I cocked it. Meant I always had to fire it once I cocked it. And I was pretty skinny in those days."

Shouldn't have your finger in there until you are ready to shoot. :)

I shoot my stainless NM BC about as well as I do any handgun these days. Mine seems to shoot to the same point of aim regardless of the ammo I use-Mini Mags, Wildcats, Stingers, etc. It's a keeper.

I assume, then, you re-holster cocked SA's? :?: