Miss the old days....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
So, I was just cleaning and oiling my Blackhawks. I have one 1978 vintage in 30 Carbine, a 44 Special Flat Top, a 50th Anniversary .44 and a Bisley 44 Mag. I bought my first Blackhawk in 1973, a .41 Mag 6.5" barrel. I shot thousands of rounds out of that pistol as it was the only handgun I owned other than a S&W K-22 made in 1948. I was 16 when I, well when my Dad, bought it. $127.00 out the door. Anyway, the 30 Carbine just feels better in my hand. I like the alloy grip frame, the grip dimenstions and the walnut grip panels. Both .44's just feel different, maybe because of long ago muscle memory, but who knows. The black plastic checkered grips on the 44 Special look nice and is easy to shoot. Actually look very nostalgic. The 50th Anniversary on the other hand, is not very comfortable to shoot with the checkered plastic grips. Ordering a new set of plain, smooth walnut grips from Hogue. The newer Blackhawks, like my Bisley, have those wonderful grips made out of plywood, very fancy plywood, but plywood just the same. Again, I know there is not a lot of difference, so maybe it is just me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Lots of stuff made years ago,, do seem to be better than new stuff.
But realize that when some of the new stuff is introduced,, it can also become "good old stuff" quickly for others. People's tastes & attitudes change.
Ruger went retro with the plastic grips,, yet, they are different looking than the old type. But the old type also got replaced with wood because many preferred wood over plastic.
The laminated or "plywood" grips have an appeal to some,, but again,, not others. But with the cost of wood, and trying to be more eco friendly,, making laminated wood is a way to recycle some stuff, AND give us options.

All of Ruger's models have been constantly evolving or changing over the decades. Even from the very beginning. The 1949 original "Standard Auto" has evolved into a MK IV now.

I like the good old walnut gripped, blue steel, plain OM action types the best.

But, I truly appreciate the stainless steel, custom gripped, 2-dogs front sight, RW/Garza rear sight, Bisley types too!

Kinda like; "I prefer long haired, tanned skin brunettes. But I'll never turn down a blond, a redhead, or shorter hair, or whatever. I like them all!"

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
For the current MSRP of a new Ruger SA revolver, they should at the very least come equipped with "wood" grips that actually FIT the grip frame reasonably well, like they once did. The laminate grips would be far most satisfactory, not to mention usable, if they weren't 1/16"+ undersized on the grip, as pretty much every set I've seen in the last 10-15 years have been. It seems to me that Ruger is just intentionally installing throw away grips at this point, and really couldn't care less about it.

contender

Ruger Guru
True enough.

My personal tastes are for Ivory, Ram horn, well figured burl type wood, and walnut in that order. But some folks do enjoy the various laminated types as "something different" for their tastes.

Just like some guys will chase ugly women because nobody else will. And they find something to like in those women too!

Brant

Bearcat
Agree. If looking for a new Blackhawk, I try to find an older one rather than a brand new one. Except for the new model flattops and nm vaquero. But then I look for a used one rather Than a brand new one as well. Grips can be changed, but more often than not I live with ugly illfitting grips for a long while. Once I know it is a keeper I modify them when they are proud of the frame.

I think, The mid frame Blackhawks and a 308 Kimber rifle are the newest guns I own.