Do you know how to shoot? Sure, it’s easy!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My gun club offers training from some good guys who know what they're doing. And it's geared toward realistic defensive scenarios that anyone from a 75 year old Grandma, a soccer mom or an ex-Green Beret can learn from (I've seen all of these and more at trainings)

It's not 75 yard head shots on hostage targets, Mozambique Drills, any of this GunSite , Thunder Ranch stuff. It's training regular people how to use the firearm they have to shoot at 0-15 yards in scenarios they are likely to encounter in day to day life which covers 98% of the people who attend these trainings

It isn't geared toward the Range Kyles who carry 20 magazines and a pair of Kimbers to WalMart, and think that they know everything............ it's for the 50 year old Dad who just bought a Taurus snubby and wants to get familiar with it, without judgement, ego, testosterone, etc like some of the other trainings that are like "semi autos above 9mm only, no revolvers, no leather" yeah ok if I saw that wouldn't waste my time
Practicing "Drills" is just the next logical step after learning safety and accuracy. How else will you know your ability to not be a threat to everyone around you? I'm not talking anything crazy just draw, present and fire and various transition practice to know your and your choice of firearm performs and the limitations of your choices. If you are going to rely on anything you need to know what you are capable of not to mention maintaining/developing a level of proficiency.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Practicing "Drills" is just the next logical step after learning safety and accuracy. How else will you know your ability to not be a threat to everyone around you? I'm not talking anything crazy just draw, present and fire and various transition practice to know your and your choice of firearm performs and the limitations of your choices. If you are going to rely on anything you need to know what you are capable of not to mention maintaining/developing a level of proficiency.
This is basically all I ask of people, is basic proficiency and target identification

I've seen people at qual ranges at jobs I've had dropping guns on the ground because just a little stress gets them all fumble fingered , because they only draw their weapon once per year.

My 2nd biggest fear in some crazy scenario like a public shooting is an untrained person running around with their little .380 in a panic, ready to mag dump on the first other person with a gun they see

Paul B

Hunter
Years back when I still taught Hunter Education I was tasked with teaching the handgun portion of the class which also including a shooting demonstration on range day. part of the classroom procedure was during the mid class break I'd let the student come to the table and look and handle the various handgun that I'd brought. Many a nervous mother would come up watching me and child very closely. Many times after class that same mother would come up and ask me if I could teach her how to shoot a handgun? I guess over aa 16 year period of teaching several dozen would ask. Only six ever followed up IIRC. I explained that I would teach the basics. If she wanted to go further afterwards, then enroll in a concealed weapons class where they teach the laws and rules. It did surprise me that so few really wanted to learn. I wonder with all the "panic" buying of guns today is they's be a lot less reluctant on getting "instruction"?
Paul B.

Springer2

Bearcat
I have been a NRA LE instructor since 1987. I also started shooting in formal matches as a kid in the 1960s and have been doing that off and on up until about 2 years ago. I keep things simple. You teach: Safety, Use of Force (as it applies), then Fundamentals (sight alignment, trigger control, grip, stance, sight picture, follow through, etc)--in that order. Live fire training is equally straight forward: Known Distance training first until the person demonstrates application of safety and shooting fundamentals and then practical training as it applies to make decisions (shoot-don't shoot, multiple targets, reloading, clearing, etc).

In initial training always safety first and accuracy over speed; that lays a good foundation for anything that follows.

Last edited:

Latest posts