CZ 75B 40 Cal. "Range Report"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
I'm posting this because several well-wishers have asked me, in other topics, to report on progress with my new CZ 75B, 40 S&W Cal.

I get no bragging rights, here, because the best target of the day was shot by my friend, Jay, a fantastic marksman, using my CZ.

And this isn't exactly a "range report;" rather a brief account of a private get-together of about 20 shooters last Sunday (Apr. 6, 2011).

Bob & Sue, dear friends, have a ten-acre piece of Heaven in the mountains east of Placerville, CA. The invite said to bring guns, ammo, targets - and something for the pot luck.

Bob's carved out a 100 yard range with a nice, steep hillside as a backdrop. On the other side of his barn, people set up to shoot clay pigeons.

It seems that 80% of the interest was in handguns. People showed up with everything from a little Jennings pocket .22 auto-loader to a beautiful Ruger in 454 Casull. Other interesting guns were the .44 Mag Desert Eagle, a vintage 9mm Luger, and a wicked Derringer that shot 45 LC from the upper barrrel, and either .410 shotshell or 45-70 from the lower barrel.

Jay bought the derringer from the original owner after he (original owner) had the temerity to actually fire a 45-70 round with the thing. The recoil was so ferociouss that the hammer spur acted like a tooth on a buzz-saw; costing the dummy 12 stitches to patch up his hand.

Between the exotics, pretty much all common handguns were represented - with a preponderance of Glocks and other contemporary autoloaders. I was surprised that only one 1911 showed up, but it was a beaut: a stainless S&W that looked like new.

I'd say about half the people there had never heard of CZ. Few had seen or shot one. Well, they all got the chance.

One consistent remark was along these lines: "It's heavier than my Glock, but not that much heavier. It sure "fits" better, and hefts nicely. I could get used to this."

Talk aside, the outcome was pretty spectacular. Never mind what a particular shooter was used to; when he shot the CZ, he got a better target than his more familiar weapon. Surprisingly, this included several nice revolvers.

Jay shot the best target of the day, period. At about 15 yards, and never having shot the CZ before, his ten-round pattern ate out the bullseye and the shots outside the eye were all overlapping the shots within.

Jay wanted the target signed so he could take it home and frame it.

He also offered to trade his virtually new Glock for my CZ - right on the spot.

My targets were good, but not in the same league as Jay's.

Others that shot the CZ finished with hang-dog faces because it easily bested their recent Glock, XD, H&K - whatever - purchases.

Oh: The obligatory word about Ruger since I'm posting in a Ruger forum: My wife and I enjoyed the heck out of our new Ruger 22/45, and a few others had various Ruger "Mark" pistols. All shot exceptionally well. Everybody should have one.

But in the center-fire end of things, only one guy was shooting a Ruger - a new-lookinng P-93 9mm. I don't know why he was wasting his time with it. His patterns were awful, and he's the guy that brought the lovely S&W 1911. I never saw him shoot the 1911 and I was hoping he woould so I'd have a excuse to sk to try it. I have a soft spot for the 1911 and may still wind up buying one - despite the nagging suspicion that the CZ is is all I'll ever need.

In this entire business, the only credit I get runs along these lines:

* Lots of research and "tire-kicking" before I settled on the CZ

* Sending it to the CZ Custom shop for some trigger work, installation of (great) LPA adjustable sights, and a stainless guide rod.

* I get, maybe, a bit of credit for the load I worked up - but not much.

First, credit and thanks to the denizen of this forum that shared photos of his targets and his load recipe for 45 ACP - 3.2 grains of Winchester 231 driving a 200 gr. semi wadcutter. That put me on to 231 for 40 cal, and a quest for a load that makes my CZ happy.

I found it with a self-cast, 175 gr. lead, semi-wadcuter from a Lee tumble-lube mold; and lubed with Lee's Liquid Alox. The bullet was driven with a 3.8 gr. charge of Win 231.

The Liquid Alox is an amazing lube. After all that shooting, my CZ's barrell still looked incrediblly clean.

Obviously, I am one very happy CZ owner. My 75B was easily the handgun of the day - with more pleasant comments and some outright gushing compliments than I ever expected. I have a hunch that some Glocks and XDs will be traded in soon.

And don't let anybody tell you that a 40 S&W Cal cannot be accurate! That is a load of bull from some Luddite fools. They used to say the same about 9mm, but I think that, by now, we all know that's bogus (about the 9).

I don't believe there is any such thing as an "inherently" great caliber. The laws of physics defy that notion. There are only good calibers, loaded well, and fired from firearms well built for that caliber. It doesn't hurt if shooters believe in it.

Oh. The food was exceptional, too. Uber-marksman Jay also prepped and cooked the tri-tips. They were to die for.

It was right about dinner time that the cops showed up. They found a bunch of people stuffing their faces amid tables and racks of guns, guns, guns.

They paid the guns no attenton a-tall. They said they were making an appearance for the sake of making an apearance; some neighbors had complained about the noiise. But the cops said we were fine - to go on shooting until dark o'clock.

All & all a good afternoon admiring, handling and shooting a bunch of neat gun-flesh; meeting some neat new people - and having my CZ purchase validated quite nicely.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Great report soldernut !!

Glad to hear your CZ in .40 is reliable and accurate from this Luddite fool.

I've never tried the .40 in a CZ75 platform, but after having THREE other .40's that shot just horribly I wasn't taking any more expensive chances.

I'm not surpised that if a .40 shoots well, that it's out of the CZ75 platform, as I think that platform is the most ergonomically PERFECT and accurate in existence next to the 1911.

If I ever get the chance to try a .40 in a 75, I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

Glad you're so happy with it. I've been preaching CZ75 for about 4 years now. Never had anyone dissatisfied yet. THe only problem is, once you experience the CZ75, you might just decide to sell all your other autos .... except 1911's of course !! :D

By the way ... you might just try Power Pistol in the .40 as well ... it's known to be fantastic in autos, and is by far my favorite powder for the 9MM. 231 is also my favorite powder for the 45ACP, so I'm not surprised that you found a good load (although that load sounds very light) for your .40.

Congratulations on a great day, and a great gun. You probably just sold about 10 more CZ's in that one day.

REV

soldernut

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
Great report! A safe day spent with friends, guns, and food is hard to beat!

It was a special day. Because of the superb BBQ coming, there was plenty booze on hand. Not one of the shooters touched a drop until their guns were put away.

Now that's a nice crowd.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

Sorry :oops:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Great report soldernut !!

Glad to hear your CZ in .40 is reliable and accurate from this Luddite fool.

I've never tried the .40 in a CZ75 platform, but after having THREE other .40's that shot just horribly I wasn't taking any more expensive chances.

[sn] I went for the 40 for several reasons. One is that I do not believe any particular caliber is more "innately" accurate than others. How anyone can believe that in the face of contrary evidence from .22 LR, .223, 22-250, .243, .270, 6.5mm, 7mm, .30-06, .308, .338, 8mm, 50 BMG, 45-70, .357, .45ACP - is beyond me.

Or, to put it the other way around, any caliber is capable of good accuracy - provided it's supported by a great gun and suitable ammo.

So I wasn't worried about the 40 S&W being more or less accurate than the other choices; 9mm and .45ACP.

I'm not surpised that if a .40 shoots well, that it's out of the CZ75 platform, as I think that platform is the most ergonomically PERFECT and accurate in existence next to the 1911.

[sn] I agree, and it goes beyond the ergonomics. Much is in the execution of the design. Today the 45 ACP can be an incredibly accurate platrorm, but that's only after decades of refinement - and if you buy one that's built right. CZ executes the 75B design superbly right out of the box. (Well, I did send mine to CZ custom to have the trigger smoothed up and adjustable sights installed.)

When you can get great ergonomics and superb manufacturing values for $550, it's a bargain.

Incidentally, for those of you in the free states, don't overlook the EAA Witness. It's a CZ-licensed design built by Tangfolio of Italy. Available in 9mm, 40, 10mm and 45 ACP, I've been told you can get their "Match" model for about $450 - and I've heard nothing but great things about them. Sucks to live in The Peoples Republik of Californika.

If I ever get the chance to try a .40 in a 75, I'll try it out and let you know what I think.

[sn] Just be forewarned that mine did not get great groups with any factory ammo I tried. I had to spend quite a bit of time working up loads until I found the "magic combination" - for my gun.

Incidentally, the CZ has a conventional rifled barrel - not polygonal. Lead bullets don't bother it a bit.

Glad you're so happy with it.

[sn] Thanks. I can't imagine being happier with a pistol. (But I'm not ruling out a 1911; still on my short list).

I've been preaching CZ75 for about 4 years now. Never had anyone dissatisfied yet. THe only problem is, once you experience the CZ75, you might just decide to sell all your other autos .... except 1911's of course !! :D

[wp] Well, I have a couple other auto-loaders. Both are inferior to the CZ, but good enough to "get the job done." I have reasons for keeping them.

But I do have a friend that's seriously thinking about doing just that. He has expensive 9mm, 40s and 45 ACPs by Sig, H&K and Kahr; plus less pricey Glocks and Springfields. After spending some time with my CZ, he says several of those guns will be sold to start his own CZ collection (The guy is bucks-up and learned that CZ has several models in addition to the flagship 75B).

By the way ... you might just try Power Pistol in the .40 as well ... it's known to be fantastic in autos, and is by far my favorite powder for the 9MM.

[sn] Power Pistol was one of the first propellants I tried in the 40 and precisely because it is the absolute best - for 9mm - in my experience. And I'll continue to experiment with PP. I just haven't found the "just right" loading - yet.

231 is also my favorite powder for the 45ACP, so I'm not surprised that you found a good load (although that load sounds very light) for your .40.

[sn] I think it was you, or Snake, that put me onto 231. And you're right, 3.8 gr. is a light load. I was actually worried about it cycling the action. But no problems there. I was working from another shooter's suggestions and the CZ loved 3.8 gr. of 231 like a .38 likes 2.8 gr. of Bullseye behind a 148 gr. wadcutter. (Both are target loads made in Heaven.)

And one very knowlegable source tells me that the 40 actually likes slower burning powders; HS6 being about ideal.

I've tried a few loadings with HS6 and, so far, haven't found the right one.

Congratulations on a great day, and a great gun. You probably just sold about 10 more CZ's in that one day.
REV

Thanks. It was a gorgeous, balmy California spring afternoon/evening; a day I'll not soon forget.

Cynthia, my wife, shooting her Ruger SP-101, was making quite an impression on folks. She's kind of a natural; likes hotter loads, too; and out-shot a few men with more expensive, longer-barreled revolvers.

We were both having fun with our new Ruger 22/45 (everybody should have one). I brought along one of those steel "reactive" targets by Caldwell - a real hoot to shoot with a .22

It was also the first time I shot my new Ruger 10/22 (needs trigger work) and the factory open sights came adjusted just about perfectly.

One thing I forgot to mention that made quite an impression on the pistol people was my UpLula magazine loader. It speeds recharing empty magazines - and saves the skin on your thumbs. It's an ingenious "one size fits all" design that works with justs about any center-fire magazine. It worked as well with Glock, XD and other magazines as it does with my CZ magazines. Everybody should have one.

And damn it felt good knowing the best target of the day was shot with my CZ. Jay did that, not me.

I don't know if I sold ten CZs, but I'm sure of at least two or three. Guys with new Glocks and Springfield XDs were clearly disappointed with their choices after shooting the CZ.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I keep hearing all these great things about the CZ75 platform and it's depressing me a little that I live in Massachusetts, where new ones are impossible to buy and I'll have to search high and low for a pre '98 75B -- if I can find one. Does anyone know if they were available in .40 in MA then?

I really do appreciate accuracy and I'd love to add one to my small collection. If anyone knows of any that are for sale in MA legally, please let me know.

Great post by the way, it sounds like you have a really amazing bunch of friends. Would it be that all of us get so lucky.

revhigh

Hawkeye
They probably all came from JGsales where I posted they were selling for $279 about two weeks ago !! :D

Update ...

Ooops !! I posted about the CZ83's selling at $259 at JGSales, not the CZ75's !! :oops: :oops:

Good find AIA, although they look pretty beat up !! Good candidates for a nice CCR refinishing project, slthough that would add another $150 to the project, bringing total cost to around $500. If you want a Pre-B shooter this is a good opportunity. :D

REV

soldernut

Single-Sixer
polseszczyk said:
Great story! I live in Pennsylvania, but I'm willing to travel a little for the next one. LOL

Samuel

Thank you. I wish I could arrange for you to join us at the next one. Unfortunately, I'm not the host or I'd send an invite to several of my friends on these forums.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
NixieTube said:
I keep hearing all these great things about the CZ75 platform and it's depressing me a little that I live in Massachusetts, where new ones are impossible to buy and I'll have to search high and low for a pre '98 75B -- if I can find one. Does anyone know if they were available in .40 in MA then?

[sn] I empathize with your depression. I live in CA where it seems things are not as baad as Massachusetts; but still bad. We are limited to guns that are listed on an official "Roster of Handguns" legal for sale in California.

Have you checked to see if any EAA Witness models are available in MA? They aren't in CA, but they are fine weapons built by Tangfolio of Italy under license frrom CZ. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Some call them "the poor man's CZ," others say they're even better.

Sorry I can't be more helpful; I don't know anything about MA handgun regulation history.

What is it about these state legislators that they cannot understand the simple phrase, "shall not infringe?"

>I really do appreciate accuracy and I'd love to add one to my small collection. If anyone knows of any that are for sale in MA legally, please let me know.

[sn] If you cannot find a legal CZ or EAA in MA, and accuracy is important, I'd consider any number of fine 1911 pistols. One very fine-looking candidate that's legal in CA is the Rock Island Armory "Match." I've handled and examined a new on in a store and I gotta say it is impressive. The feed ramp and throating are polished as well as in my CZ. And I'd say the overall fit and finish is right up there, too. About $650 "street" price in my neck of CA.

Great post by the way, it sounds like you have a really amazing bunch of friends. Would it be that all of us get so lucky.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I am blessed with an amazing group of friends. My father told me that, when it comes your time to leave this journey, if you need more than one hand to count your true friends, you die rich.

By that measure, I'll die filthy rich.

Starting with my best friend, my wife, I am fortunate beyond all deserving. Sometimes I'm just amazed at my good luck.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
For those of you considering a new or used CZ, I should make one thing clear, then make a suggestion:

My CZ 75B was pretty nice right out of the box, but it's trigger needed attention. In SA mode, there was a long, gritty pull to the point of let-off. Worse, it was very hard to tell when let-off would actually happen.

I sent the gun to CZ Custom to have the trigger smoothed up, and adjustable sights installed. It came back a different gun. The trigger is now lighter but more important, the point of let-off is absolutelyl discernable - every time.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my CZ 75B came wtih a DA/SA trigger. I don't know if the added complexity of the DA trigger parts contributed to the "stacking" I could feel with the original trigger.

I have a hunch, though that, if the gun had come with a SA-only trigger, getting to trigger Nirvana would have been a lot easier.

My suggestion is that you not overlook a CZ with SA-only trigger. Just like a 1911, it can be stored "cocked and locked," or with a full magazine inserted and slide locked back, or un-cocked with one in the pipe. It takes only an instant to cock the gun, or release the slide, so the first-shot DA feature may not be that important.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
For those that live in places where CZ-75s are not legally available, I'll mention one potential alternative.

Before I bought the CZ, and I was still out kicking tires, one other 40 cal impressed me, the Beretta Storm PX4. Why?

Well a huge component of auto-loader accuracy is the "lock-up" of barrel and slide. CZ manages it with great machining tolerances, two large lugs atop the barrel, and their slide rides inside the frame rather than outside.

The Beretta takes an approach different from virtually all other auto-loaders. To achieve the necessary unlocking of barrel and slide, their barrels have a huge, rotating lug at their rear. The rotating lock/unlock scheme is said to really help with accuracy.

I didn't buy the Beretta simply because I didn't care for its exterior lines - or "looks." Beretta seems to be going through a "Flash Gordon" design jag - witness their Neos .22 semi-autos. Yech!

But that PX4 is no slouch by all accounts I've heard. I understand that the Stoeger Cougar is the identical pistol - just made in Turkey and under a different brand.

revhigh

Hawkeye
soldernut said:
My CZ 75B was pretty nice right out of the box, but it's trigger needed attention.

Yup ! That is the ONE thing that I've always complained about with the 75 platform. You can send it away to CZ custom to be tuned, OR you can just dry fire the crap out of it. The 75 platform reacts very well to simple use. I used to sit in my living room and dry fire it 500 or so times at a sitting, sometimes I'd put a little resistance pressure to keep the trigger from moving while I pulled the trigger. This definitely works .... OR you can speed up the whole process by having CZ Custom do it for you. In general, the more a 75 platform has been shot ... the better they are.

REV

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
soldernut said:
I understand that the Stoeger Cougar is the identical pistol - just made in Turkey and under a different brand.

I shot a coworker's 40 last summer that I'm pretty sure was a Stoeger. It had that swoopy sci-fi styling and a really weird sight set, a triangle front sight and an outline rear sight that the triangle was to sit in. The sights were so distracting I can't tell you how it shot. :oops:

kel ruger man

Single-Sixer
i have the 75 DAO 40..smoothest trigger i ever felt on a da. very predicatable break. most accurate gun i ever shot.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
soldernut said:
My CZ 75B was pretty nice right out of the box, but it's trigger needed attention.

Yup ! That is the ONE thing that I've always complained about with the 75 platform. You can send it away to CZ custom to be tuned, OR you can just dry fire the crap out of it.

[sn] I got impatient. I coud "feel" all that potential behind the triger and wanted it now!

In general, the more a 75 platform has been shot ... the better they are.

REV

That's good to know because I plan to shoot the livin' crap out of this wonder.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
soldernut said:
I understand that the Stoeger Cougar is the identical pistol - just made in Turkey and under a different brand.

I shot a coworker's 40 last summer that I'm pretty sure was a Stoeger. It had that swoopy sci-fi styling and a really weird sight set, a triangle front sight and an outline rear sight that the triangle was to sit in. The sights were so distracting I can't tell you how it shot. :oops:

Ah, yes. The sights. That was another "feature" of the PX4 I didn't like. Forgot to mention it.