MAX-9 Range Report** - Very Nice!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aqualung

Blackhawk
** With brief mention of Mark III Target results as well

I finally got to the range to try out my "free" MAX-9 and my Mark III** that's been also waiting for a real range trip.

I put 150 rounds of Winchester brown-box 115grn and 20 rounds of Remington 115gn HTP JHPs through the MAX-9, using all 6 magazines. I even tested it using the +1 mode, in case the operation was affected by a full magazine against the slide. It performed flawlessly. All rounds fired. Slide locked back on empty mags only. I was pleased overall with how it handled.

Recoil was a little "snappy", but not overly so nor unexpected for a pistol that light. It is not a pistol I think I'd want to be shooting for an extended range session, but that's not the purpose of this gun for me. That said, it's one that I do see myself shooting regularly to keep up proficiency (unlike some carry guns that are too painful to shoot regularly, so don't get exercised often).

I was concerned about how the gun would "twist" in my hand when shooting. I found it to be very stable in my hand with the texturing doing its job. I did purchase the Talon Grip "decal" in anticipation of it being "twisty" as my other two small auto pistols had proved to be with their "slick" plastic grips (MK9 and .380 NAA Guardian, both needing grip sleeves of some sort). However, I'm a little hesitant to install the grip, as it wasn't really needed, but think it may help to make it a little more comfortable in filling my hand a little better. I've got Talon Grips on both my 9mm and .45 American pistols and like them.

Along those lines, surprisingly, I didn't have an issue with the flush-plate 10-round mags. I thought I'd need to swap them out with the finger rest plates, but I didn't. My plan is to carry the 12-round mags for normal carry (1 in gun and a spare). However, there are times when I am carrying in PA, but need to unload and case up the gun to go to NJ or MD where any mags over 10 rounds are verboten. So, I plan on swapping mags to the 10-rounders in those instances.

Some folks don't like the trigger, others love it. I'm used to the trigger on my MK9, which is long and smooth, but not heavy at all. This trigger took a little getting used to, since it's got the "wall" where you pull back against just spring tension and then feel the sear resistance. However, it wasn't that much of an issue and I quickly got the feel for it.

All shots were from 7-10 yards at IPSC targets. I wasn't trying to tight groups or pinpoint accuracy...just function testing at this point.

The rear sight on my pistol is slightly left of center, and it shot a bit left, averaging about 4"-5" left at 10 yards or so. I tried working the sight to the right, but didn't have a solid bench or the right tools (you can only do so much with a Gerber multi-tool as a hammer and Swiss-Tech pocket tool as a punch) to tap it over. When I clean the gun on my bench, I'll tap it to center with the proper tools. I figure they'll be dead on as far as windage is concerned.

I was using 115grn rounds and they averaged a bit low (3"-4"). I'm thinking to try some 124grn offerings and see if they might group a bit higher due to a little more recoil(?).

DISCLAIMER: The above results could also be indicative of my shooting style and not performance/operation of the pistol. Nor, are they so bad that this gun isn't suitable for carry/self defense.

Overall, the gun is great! I look forward to having it become my #1 carry gun to give my MK9 a long-deserved transfer to reserve/backup carry gun status.

As for the Mark III, it too performed very well...a very weird transition to shoot from the MAX-9, being a stainless bull-barrel target model. The MAX-9 is feather-light with snappy recoil, but the Mark III is brick-heavy with no recoil...Out of the 100 or so rounds I shot, I had three misfires that I attribute to the crappy, Remington bulk-box ammo I was using. Two fired when rechambered and fired a second time. The third dropped out past the firing line when I ejected it, so it didn't get a second chance.

Aqualung

Mike J

Hunter
Thank you for the range report. I keep thinking I want one of the micro 9 pistols with a 10 + round magazine but I haven't spent enough time checking them out. I am sure I will wind up getting one sooner or later. It is helpful to get more information about the different models. It is always fun to have a new gun to shoot & test.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
leadhead2 said:
I didn't think you could take any gun into NJ. I've heard that if you even have a loaded mag,
your in big trouble.
leadhead

It's a risk, I know. I didn't do it previously. If I knew I was heading out of state, I just wouldn't carry at all, no matter what we planned to do before or after. However, with things in Philly getting so nuts, I've since felt more need to be armed in some places we go.

When I leave PA, I unload the gun and zip it into a case with a lock on the zipper. The magazines get locked in a second pouch with a lock.

I do, admittedly, bend the rules by not stowing them in the bed of my truck, as I believe they are more secure inside the vehicle then in the bed, even though I have a hard bed cover.

DISCLAIMER: That's how I do it to meet *my interpretation* of NJ law. That's not to imply that anyone else should follow my practices.

Aqualung

unit 900

Bearcat
You can transport across any state line if you are legal in tsate of origin and destination. Locked in case, ammo elsewhere.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/federal-firearms-transportation-laws/ I've read the law, which is short and mag capacity and ammo types are not addressed.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Thanks for the report...I need to post one up when I can get to the range (icy/muddy mess right now). Love my Max-9 as well. 100% reliability as of 400+ rounds, better trigger and more comfortable recoil than most of the subcompact polymer striker guns on the market, and far more accurate than I was hoping. I put an inexpensive Holosun MRDS on it, and the wife put five rounds of my 124 grain Gold Dot +P handloads into a single ragged hole at 7 yards (coughSHOWOFFcough!). Mine shoots 115s and 124s very close to the same POA out to 15 yards, so not sure how much switching bullet weights will help, but let us know.

** With brief mention of Mark III Target results as well

I finally got to the range to try out my "free" MAX-9 and my Mark III** that's been also waiting for a real range trip.

I put 150 rounds of Winchester brown-box 115grn and 20 rounds of Remington 115gn HTP JHPs through the MAX-9, using all 6 magazines. I even tested it using the +1 mode, in case the operation was affected by a full magazine against the slide. It performed flawlessly. All rounds fired. Slide locked back on empty mags only. I was pleased overall with how it handled.

Recoil was a little "snappy", but not overly so nor unexpected for a pistol that light. It is not a pistol I think I'd want to be shooting for an extended range session, but that's not the purpose of this gun for me. That said, it's one that I do see myself shooting regularly to keep up proficiency (unlike some carry guns that are too painful to shoot regularly, so don't get exercised often).

I was concerned about how the gun would "twist" in my hand when shooting. I found it to be very stable in my hand with the texturing doing its job. I did purchase the Talon Grip "decal" in anticipation of it being "twisty" as my other two small auto pistols had proved to be with their "slick" plastic grips (MK9 and .380 NAA Guardian, both needing grip sleeves of some sort). However, I'm a little hesitant to install the grip, as it wasn't really needed, but think it may help to make it a little more comfortable in filling my hand a little better. I've got Talon Grips on both my 9mm and .45 American pistols and like them.

Along those lines, surprisingly, I didn't have an issue with the flush-plate 10-round mags. I thought I'd need to swap them out with the finger rest plates, but I didn't. My plan is to carry the 12-round mags for normal carry (1 in gun and a spare). However, there are times when I am carrying in PA, but need to unload and case up the gun to go to NJ or MD where any mags over 10 rounds are verboten. So, I plan on swapping mags to the 10-rounders in those instances.

Some folks don't like the trigger, others love it. I'm used to the trigger on my MK9, which is long and smooth, but not heavy at all. This trigger took a little getting used to, since it's got the "wall" where you pull back against just spring tension and then feel the sear resistance. However, it wasn't that much of an issue and I quickly got the feel for it.

All shots were from 7-10 yards at IPSC targets. I wasn't trying to tight groups or pinpoint accuracy...just function testing at this point.

The rear sight on my pistol is slightly left of center, and it shot a bit left, averaging about 4"-5" left at 10 yards or so. I tried working the sight to the right, but didn't have a solid bench or the right tools (you can only do so much with a Gerber multi-tool as a hammer and Swiss-Tech pocket tool as a punch) to tap it over. When I clean the gun on my bench, I'll tap it to center with the proper tools. I figure they'll be dead on as far as windage is concerned.

I was using 115grn rounds and they averaged a bit low (3"-4"). I'm thinking to try some 124grn offerings and see if they might group a bit higher due to a little more recoil(?).

DISCLAIMER: The above results could also be indicative of my shooting style and not performance/operation of the pistol. Nor, are they so bad that this gun isn't suitable for carry/self defense.

Overall, the gun is great! I look forward to having it become my #1 carry gun to give my MK9 a long-deserved transfer to reserve/backup carry gun status.

As for the Mark III, it too performed very well...a very weird transition to shoot from the MAX-9, being a stainless bull-barrel target model. The MAX-9 is feather-light with snappy recoil, but the Mark III is brick-heavy with no recoil...Out of the 100 or so rounds I shot, I had three misfires that I attribute to the crappy, Remington bulk-box ammo I was using. Two fired when rechambered and fired a second time. The third dropped out past the firing line when I ejected it, so it didn't get a second chance.

Aqualung
Exact same thing happened to me today. I had 3 ftf in 150. I would consider every round a light strike the primers seemed more smeared than stamped. Accuracy was great 2" rested 8" offhand at 25yds with the Crimson Trace.

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    IMG_20221130_134712063~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    IMG_20221130_145843095.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Hvymax, my MAX-9 had no FTFs.

It was my Mark III that had them on the crappy Rem bulk ammo.

To Everyone, I have an update:

I did swap out the trigger with the Galloway Precision Maxxis trigger and it really improved my shooting. No more low-left, though the very short pull and reset were a bit to get used to.

I put another 200 rounds through it with no failures.

Aqualung

I did swap out the trigger with the Galloway Precision Maxxis trigger and it really improved my shooting. No more low-left, though the very short pull and reset were a bit to get used to.

Aqualung.

I

Aqualung
I ordered the 20% heavier striker spring from Galloway. That should remedy the light strike issues. I'm sure I'll sacrifice a little on the trigger pull but hopefully not too bad. I contacted Ruger about it and they told me they don't have a stronger spring option but I could send it in anyway. I said no thanks and went to the Galloway site. I will also be evaluating the depth of the strike. I don't want punched primers but I want to know that they are being struck authoritatively. All of the trigger tuning kits start with lighter hammer/striker springs which is fine for a range/competition gun but completely wrong for a Duty/Carry gun. I was looking at the Maxis trigger but as you observed it makes the trigger a little touchy. I figure the additional take-up is a bit of a safety. The trigger is light enough that I got a recoil double the other day. It's a great gun. Accurate and easy to hit with especially with the optic. I'm almost wishing I would have gotten the standard with the safety instead of the Pro now. I usually carry my SA pistols with the hammer down because I can thumb it as easily as the safety. My Kel Tec and Gen1 LCP have the DA trigger for their safety.

Got the spring in the mail today and got it installed. That tiny port didn't want to give up the tailpiece. Getting those retainers back in was extra fun as well. I'll try it out tomorrow and find out if I need more setback on the firing pin.