cylinder pin backing out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a super blackhawk. That the pin comes unlatched on when firing. This gun hasn't been shot much and I found out why. I removed the pin and found a small spot inside the lock notch was shiny. so I opened up the notch on that side to allow the lock to go fully inside the groove. put it back together. It still comes loose after each shot. I pulled the cylinder out and put the pin in and it seems to latch fine. You can't move it with finger pressure. The latch seems to work great but when you fire it it comes loose and backs out about 1/8". Any Idea's on a self fix or should it go back to ruger for a repair.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Did you get the locking or standard. I looked and have their # and will give them a call on monday. With the locking will I need to do something to the bottom of the bbl to lock in or will it just bind the pin with the allan screw without any locking notch.

tek4260

Buckeye
I'll be by there later today and will bring a basepin out of the parts bin and some calipers to see where the problem is. I also bought every part for a SBH except the barrel and frame yesterday on Gunbroker. When it comes in we can try that basepin as well.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
It sure is nice to have a son that likes working on guns. tek4260 is my son and he came by today and took the super with the pin jumping and went out to my shop and in about 15 minutes he fixed it. Using a 3 cornered file and a chainsaw file. When he finished we took it out and shot 30 rounds and the pin never budged. These were the same ammo that was jumping the pin every shot before. He saved me from having to order a belt mountain pin and drilling the bbl. for the lock.

pete44ru

Hunter
I've only had a single Ruger that did that, and the pin fit was fine/tight - so I D/T'd a small hole in the head of the cylinder pin for a long setscrew, which bears on/in a small detent I made in the bottom of the barrel at the appropriate spot.

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Tommy Kelly":3lknwkgu said:
With the locking will I need to do something to the bottom of the bbl to lock in or will it just bind the pin with the allan screw without any locking notch.

I emailed Belt Mountain with the same question. The answer I received said that wasn't necessary. Just snug the setscrew up against the barrel and it would hold fine. I have read elsewhere that if you snug it up TOO TIGHT, it will bend the base pin, so don't overtighten it.

tek4260

Buckeye
The problem with this one, as probably is the case with many of them, is that the latch was not engaging the notch in the pin. I simply legnthened the slot in the base pin towards the head to allow the latch to close fully. There is no way the pin can jump if the latch closes completely. On this one, the latch was only closing about 1/4 of the way. I don't see how one could jump if the cross pin closes properly. I guess the location of the latch in the frame is not consistent on all revolvers.