Contender Octagon Barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
IMG_6146.png

This was listed as stainless steel. Its the first stainless octagon Contender barrel I've seen or heard of. It just doesn't look right to me. Unless one of you disagrees, Im going to assume its ceracote or something similar and the seller is unaware.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Thompson use to offer a coating or plating ? called Armoloy ? quite a while back.
Possible that barrel was done with that ?
The Armoloy barrels could not be used on a non-Armoloy frame without modifications to the frame, as I recall.
As T-C is kaput finding someone to "fit" such a barrel might be problematic.

eveled

Hawkeye
I got 2 new 10 inch octagon barrels in the mail today. .38 special and 9mm Luger. That completes my wish list. I updated the list in the first post to reflect my purchases and also ones noted later on in this thread.

I'll keep looking, but it seems this is a pretty complete list at this point. Thanks everyone.
IMG_6201.jpeg

eveled

Hawkeye
I see you have 8.75" barrel , but don't have 8" listed.

I have an 8" octagon barrel in 22 Hornet.
Wow! Never seen one it must be a rare one. Any pictures?
IMG_6204.jpeg

I went back to check mine thinking maybe I was mistaken but it really is 8.75"

Last edited:
This was listed as stainless steel. Its the first stainless octagon Contender barrel I've seen or heard of. It just doesn't look right to me. Unless one of you disagrees, Im going to assume its ceracote or something similar and the seller is unaware.

My dollar is on Ron Mahovsky's "Metalife" plating.

I've always wanted to plate a 10" Octagon .22LR that had been trimmed back to 8", taking the front sight with it.

Why? Because 1) I've spent too much time daydreaming about Contenders, 2) they never made that configuration in stainless (this'd be a "fabulous fake"), 3) why not?

Kind of a, "If you can dream it, we can build it!" type of thing… 😎

A person can get some strange fixations, when mulling over a subject for a long time… 🤪

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Here is a little info I found on Contender barrels.

Type I
Term used to describe the very earliest of production Contender barrels (early 1967 to late 1967). These barrel are easily spotted by their "one line" company address and caliber designations. All Type I barrels are octagonal, have flat bottomed lugs, allen screw bolt retention and short style rear sights. To date, only six calibers are known to exist in this barrel type. They are 22LR, 22WRM, 22 Jet, 22 Hornet, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum. Type I barrels are known to exist in both 10 and 8 3/4 inch barrel lengths.

Type II
Designation given to the second style of octagonal Contender barrels (late 1967 to 1972). These barrels may be easily recognized by their two line address and caliber designations. Of further importance is the punctuation used between the "N" and the "H" used to abbreviate the words New Hampshire; both are followed by a period. (example - Rochester, N. H.). Type II barrels are also recognized by their flat bottomed lugs, allen screw bolt retention and short rear sights. Type II barrels exist in three lengths, 10 inch, 8 3/4 inch and 6 inch. These may also be found as "scope model" variations (w/o front sights). The largest selection of calibers exist within the Type II classification including all of the original 17 caliber offerings.

Type III
Third generation of octagon Contender barrels (1972-1973) possessing most of the same features as the Type II barrels, namely the flat bottomed lug, allen screw bolt retention and short rear sights, but differ ever so slightly having only one period following the abbreviation for New Hampshire (example N H.) Keep in mind, that due to the fact that rear sights are interchangeable, all barrel types may be found with incorrect styles of rear sights installed.

Type IV
The forth generation of octagon Contender barrels (1973 to 1977) look almost identical to Type III barrels. Address and caliber markings are identical, (N H. abbreviation) with both possessing the flat bottomed lug. Careful examination of the underside of the lug however will reveal the absence of the allen screw used to retain the bolt. All Type IV barrels utilize the new "roll pin" method of bolt retention. Long rear sights were used on all Type IV barrels.

Type V
Type V barrels represent pretty much the final stage in octagon barrel development (1977 to 1980's). The most readily noticeable change made to these barrels is the addition of material to the rear of the barrel lug just under the bolt which causes a step in the lug midway through length. Type V barrels will usually sport the second or third generation rear sights (long or improved style), but keep in mind that these sights are interchangeable and may not be original to the barrel. Writing styles may differ on Type V barrels as several different variations were used prior to the discontinuance of octagon barrels from the catalog. Later production Type V octagon barrels were perhaps some of the finest looking barrels ever made by Thompson / Center with their "super" high gloss blued finish and crisp barrel markings

Here is a little info I found on Contender barrels.

Type I
Term used to describe the very earliest of production Contender barrels (early 1967 to late 1967). These barrel are easily spotted by their "one line" company address and caliber designations. All Type I barrels are octagonal, have flat bottomed lugs, allen screw bolt retention and short style rear sights. To date, only six calibers are known to exist in this barrel type. They are 22LR, 22WRM, 22 Jet, 22 Hornet, 38 Special, and 357 Magnum. Type I barrels are known to exist in both 10 and 8 3/4 inch barrel lengths.

Type II
Designation given to the second style of octagonal Contender barrels (late 1967 to 1972). These barrels may be easily recognized by their two line address and caliber designations. Of further importance is the punctuation used between the "N" and the "H" used to abbreviate the words New Hampshire; both are followed by a period. (example - Rochester, N. H.). Type II barrels are also recognized by their flat bottomed lugs, allen screw bolt retention and short rear sights. Type II barrels exist in three lengths, 10 inch, 8 3/4 inch and 6 inch. These may also be found as "scope model" variations (w/o front sights). The largest selection of calibers exist within the Type II classification including all of the original 17 caliber offerings.

Type III
Third generation of octagon Contender barrels (1972-1973) possessing most of the same features as the Type II barrels, namely the flat bottomed lug, allen screw bolt retention and short rear sights, but differ ever so slightly having only one period following the abbreviation for New Hampshire (example N H.) Keep in mind, that due to the fact that rear sights are interchangeable, all barrel types may be found with incorrect styles of rear sights installed.

Type IV
The forth generation of octagon Contender barrels (1973 to 1977) look almost identical to Type III barrels. Address and caliber markings are identical, (N H. abbreviation) with both possessing the flat bottomed lug. Careful examination of the underside of the lug however will reveal the absence of the allen screw used to retain the bolt. All Type IV barrels utilize the new "roll pin" method of bolt retention. Long rear sights were used on all Type IV barrels.

Type V
Type V barrels represent pretty much the final stage in octagon barrel development (1977 to 1980's). The most readily noticeable change made to these barrels is the addition of material to the rear of the barrel lug just under the bolt which causes a step in the lug midway through length. Type V barrels will usually sport the second or third generation rear sights (long or improved style), but keep in mind that these sights are interchangeable and may not be original to the barrel. Writing styles may differ on Type V barrels as several different variations were used prior to the discontinuance of octagon barrels from the catalog. Later production Type V octagon barrels were perhaps some of the finest looking barrels ever made by Thompson / Center with their "super" high gloss blued finish and crisp barrel markings
Buster, thanks for the excellent info on the Contender Octagon barrel progression and identification.

contender

Ruger Guru
Excellent info on the Contender barrels. I have seen a similar breakdown in some of my older stuff at some point. I think I need to copy it this time & place it in my Contender catalog books.

Neat storage of the barrels.

I saw a Contender display set-up similar to that on another web site but passed on buying it because it wouldn't fit my safe,, and didn't have space for all my barrels.

eveled

Hawkeye
IMG_6358.jpeg
IMG_6357.jpeg

Just when you think you've seen all of them. Another odd ball pops up.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently saw a .9mm barrel for a T/C. I passed as I felt it was over-priced!
9mm, whether octagon(preferred) or 10" bull is on my want list, if I ever find one at a halfway reasonable price, or maybe even a bit unreasonable ?
Cheap to shoot, at least compared to anything except .22 LR. No reloading required, unless really, really wanted.
I had a .22 LR 10" bull barrel and it was... boring ?
I need a bit of oompph when I pull the trigger.

eveled

Hawkeye
I paid close to $400 with shipping for mine.

The 9mm and .45acp are both hard to find and are priced accordingly.

It's rare now for any octagon barrel to sell for less than $275. They aren't making anymore of them

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine use to be a reliable source for used Contender and Encore barrels.
I bought an octagon .357 Contender barrel with one of the old Bushnell Phanton scopes for about ? $ 275 3 or 4 years ago.
Virtually nothing there last year when I stopped in.
Progress ? I guess.

Latest posts