Bullet Pullers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

man7sell

Bearcat
I made an error when loading 50 357 magnum rounds. On a cross reference, something I normally do before any load which now will be always, I managed to load these just over the never exceed grams of powder. I do not want to waste the bullets, shell, primers, or powder. I have ordered a RCBS bullet puller with 357 collet. Anyone had any experience with these?
RCBSpuller.jpg

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have used the RCBS bullet puller for decades as my reloading eraser. it works great with rifle cartridges. For delinking handgun rounds I've found the kinetic (hammer type) works best for me as most handgun rounds don't have a lot of true diameter bullet protruding from the case. A couple of good taps with the kinetic usually does the job on handgun rounds and the powder and bullet are caught in the tool. Bob!

Kinetic hammer is what I use for all rifle and handguns. A tap or 2 on the cement floor or the flat part of a steel vise. I have replaced my once now as they can get bent and brass holders wear out. I had the RCBS bullet puller for awhile, I doubt they will wear out. But I handload about 20 different calibers and figured the collets for each round vs a hammer that works was much cheaper. But, yes they do work, I don't remember any issues using the one I owned.

dannyd

Buckeye
They work but will deform the bullets. I use both the puller and kinetic hammer depending on the bullet.

jgt

Buckeye
I love the bullet puller die & collet myself. I have had some bullets that I pulled have marks from pulling them. Just to see if it made a difference I reloaded them and shot them. I could see no difference in the virgin and pulled bullets in my test. It is much easier to use and mess free. I have had all kind of 44 caliber and most have a heavy roll crimp. The collet type puller does a much better job in my application.

Last edited:
For limited use/universal fit, the 'hammer' type is good. If you plan to pull down several thousand military sealed bullet cartridges, the Hornady collet would be my choice.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I use the hammer. It takes way more than "taps" for me. I am on my second one after having destroyed the first one "tapping" it. I do not save the powder. The bullets come out good.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Kinetic hammers are fine for a few, but if you have a bunch to do those pullers are the way to go in my experience, when you figure how much pressure you need to make the pull they'll come out without any marks, it does take some finesse to achieve that.
Anyone who has been reloading for some time will eventually have to undo some for some reason or other.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I once loaded a couple thousand rounds of 223 that I had switched powders on and had to disassemble. I used the RCBS collet puller and yes it took many sessions to do all of them. I don't think one could wear out the RCBS collet puller and I have collets in all of the major and minor calibers. So if one has both types on the shelf, they could handle any bullet removing chore. The best thing I have found to use with the kinetic type is a short piece of railroad steel. Usually one tap is all that is needed. Reloading since 1967. Bob!

"The best thing I have found to use with the kinetic type is a short piece of railroad steel. Usually one tap is all that is needed. Reloading since 1967. Bob!"
Most of the kinetic pullers suggest using a block of wood rather than metal for the 'whack-a-mole' pullers. I use a 8"x8"x 30" block of walnut which works excellent--not too hard/not too soft..

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
I have no experience with bullet pullers, but when I started out shooting with my Ruger .357 Blackhawk in the late'60s, I reloaded my own ammo. On occassion, I went over the max with the powder, and even had some cartridges where the bullet stuck out just a little bit too far. At any rate, all ammo fired just fine, except for the one or two that were too long, and would not rotate properly. So, if you are using a handgun that is not a Ruger, then you should definitely worry about 'over loading' the rounds. and redo them.

Kinetic hammers are fine for a few, but if you have a bunch to do those pullers are the way to go in my experience, when you figure how much pressure you need to make the pull they'll come out without any marks, it does take some finesse to achieve that.
Anyone who has been reloading for some time will eventually have to undo some for some reason or other.

Exactly right! The kinetic hammers are great, but get a bit tiring if you're doing several hundred rounds of rifle ammo (and they may not work well on military-type ammo with bullet sealer). I've also used Hornady's collet-type bullet puller, and like the RCBS model, it works well IF there's enough of the bullet exposed outside the case for the collet to grab.

man7sell

Bearcat
Well I have spent a hour messing with the RCBS collet puller with no success. One question, I always use the factory crimp to finish the load round, would this make a difference?

NikA

Buckeye
What kind of bullets are you trying to pull? The collet-style pullers work well for jacketed, most lead are going to deform significantly before you get enough grip IME.

Also sounds like you might be applying a somewhat excessive crimp.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I put a foam ear plug in the bottom of my kinetic puller to minimize the damage. I have found that the collet puller usually crushes the bullet if I get it tight enough to work.

I had to pull several hundred 30/06 mil-surp bullets once in order to replace the corrosive primers with NC. The 50 year old 'sealant' had basically glued the bullets in place. I set my seater die down to push the bullet further into the case by a tiny smidge which broke the seal. THEN using the collet puller worked far easier.

man7sell

Bearcat
What kind of bullets are you trying to pull? The collet-style pullers work well for jacketed, most lead are going to deform significantly before you get enough grip IME.

Also sounds like you might be applying a somewhat excessive crimp.
357 Mag jackerted HP