Blackhawk 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Congratulations on such a great find!

I'm always looking for early Blackhawks, and in 40+ yrs, I've never stumbled upon anything lower than a 4 digit.

I'll bet more than a few here would like to hear how you acquired such a gem.

Not too much to tell. It found me. I was talking to a guy I know about a week ago and the topic of firearms came up. I didn't know he was even interested in them or had anything.

Well, he call me on Friday and asked if I was interested in purchasing a couple. One was a Blackhawk and one was a Glock. He said he bought the Blackhawk around 1980 and the Glock in the early 90's.

He made a price and I said ok.

Not too much to tell. It found me. I was talking to a guy I know about a week ago and the topic of firearms came up. I didn't know he was even interested in them or had anything.

Well, he call me on Friday and asked if I was interested in purchasing a couple. One was a Blackhawk and one was a Glock. He said he bought the Blackhawk around 1980 and the Glock in the early 90's.

He made a price and I said ok.
Thank you Sir! 👍

Gotta love it when they come to you. I've only been lucky like that once.

Called on a newspaper ad, and drove 60 miles to a pit-stop biker bar in the middle of the mountains, to meet a guy who was selling a couple of cheap 22 rifles.

He only had 2.

A mod. #24 Savage combination rifle in 22m/20ga., & a 10-22 Ruger.

The Savage had a bent barrel so I wasn't interested, but the Ruger came with 5 extra magazines and an old brass zippered rifle bag. Guy made me a deal if I bought both so I wound up handing over $80.

Got home and stuck the 10-22 in the front closet where it sat unfired for 6-7 yrs. as I've always been a Marlin guy when it came to 22rf.

Thanks to a few threads on this forum, I've since learned the old Ruger is a '67 finger groove with period correct magazines.

Maybe 1 day it will happen w/a Blackhawk.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just north of Charlotte huh? Well, we are not too far apart! Howdy neighbor! My brother lives in Charlotte.
I love it when I see good posts like yours.

Star43

Blackhawk
Just think. A Blackhawk with a 2 digit serial number.....# 89.....Can you just imagine a conversation that the original owner had when he first bought it to a buddy of his...."Yeah, I just bought this gun. Hope it turns out to be decent, as they just started making them a couple of weeks ago".......Yes, the Blackhawks sure did turn out to be pretty decent after all.........#89.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Picked up my first Ruger Blackhawk today.
Serial number 89.
I am a little confused on your comment about your 'new' Ruger .357 Blackhawk having serial # 89! I see that number on the gun, so do you have any idea when it was made? 89 does not sound right, but it is there!at all. My Ruger Blackhawk I bought in early 1966, and its serial number is 83030 (as you can see below). Mine is blued and not SS. I would assume that the serial numbers are in sequential order. And according to my research online, the first stainless steel handgun ever made was made by Smith & Wesson in 1965 with Model 60. The best I could find about when Ruger first made stainless steel revolvers, was in 1974 with the New Model Single-Six. So, this unit looks a bit suspect!

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
It's not my gun, but the picture shows "89" and those are the only numbers on it as per the original poster. I was thinking after I wrote my last post about a gun with that low a number. Maybe it was a salesman's sample to show to his customers, gun shops, dealers, etc. ???

I am a little confused on your comment about your 'new' Ruger .357 Blackhawk having serial # 89! I see that number on the gun, so do you have any idea when it was made? 89 does not sound right, but it is there!at all. My Ruger Blackhawk I bought in early 1966, and its serial number is 83030 (as you can see below). Mine is blued and not SS. I would assume that the serial numbers are in sequential order. And according to my research online, the first stainless steel handgun ever made was made by Smith & Wesson in 1965 with Model 60. The best I could find about when Ruger first made stainless steel revolvers, was in 1974 with the New Model Single-Six. So, this unit looks a bit suspect!
The original poster does not say that it's a stainless steel Blackhawk. Before the Gun Control Act of 1968 guns were not required to have serial numbers. Each gun made after that had to have a unique serial number so Ruger implemented the prefixed number so instead of a straight 123456 number or in the case of the gun shown being 89. If it had a prefix the serial number would be 30-00089. Blackhawk #1 through #1737 were produced in 1955 which makes his one of the first. He made out good when he bought it.

Star43

Blackhawk
The original poster does not say that it's a stainless steel Blackhawk. Before the Gun Control Act of 1968 guns were not required to have serial numbers. Each gun made after that had to have a unique serial number so Ruger implemented the prefixed number so instead of a straight 123456 number or in the case of the gun shown being 89. If it had a prefix the serial number would be 30-00089. Blackhawk #1 through #1737 were produced in 1955 which makes his one of the first. He made out good when he bought it.
If only 1737 were made in the first year of 1955. If you take 1737 and divide that by 12 as in months, that is about 145 per month. So a gun marked 89 was made in about the second week of production or close to it.......Wow......

W
Sorry, you misunderstood . This was my "first", not "new" Blackhawk. And, it is BLUED not stainless

Just awesome! I don't pay attention to serial numbers, but that is great!

Your first pictures do have the lighting making the gun look stainless. I know it's not. But man, that is just neat.

Latest posts