Blackhawk 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
To add a little bit of info to the subscriber stuff.

If a person passed away,, or decided to let their number go, it could be re-assigned to another person. So, sometimes,, a subscriber would not necessarily have any of the guns prior to the number he was assigned.

Or own dearly departed friend, mentor & former owner of this great Forum became a later owner of serial number 100. Do a search for "Flatgate & the serial number 100 guns." You'll see that many of us chipped in to buy a bunch of #100 guns from a previous subscriber to gift to him. Carl was a great guy, and set the standard for how good this Forum is.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Carl's "package" of SN 100 guns all came from the factory whse and his assignment of SN 100 occurred by my request to Ruger Senior Mgmt, just for the record............And then, of course, he continued to be offered the susequently built SN 100 offerings as they occurred. They now are scattered to the winds........

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Carl always said he would leave me his #100 S4440 since I had #101 & #102, but of course his passage was an unexpected surprise at a fairly young age, and he never made a will. So, I had to buy it. I got a few other 100s then too. And he sold some while he was still alive, I bought the Charger from him and recall being offered the GP100 but passed.

Everyone should make a plan for dealing with their guns after they pass. Carl had no children, and his wife was not really capable of coping with the firearms, so she had a local dealer sell them. Carl always talked about a friend of his who owned one of the 20 Spanish engraved Single Sixes (with the original engraved hammer broken due to repeated fast draw fanning practice) and that guy was older than Carl, so he told Carl that he would leave the gun to Carl in his will. I don't know if the will was ever made/updated, but suspect Carl passed first and so who knows whatever happened to that very rare Spanish gun. I hope it went to a collector instead of just being sold as a project gun for a couple hundred bucks at the local pawn shop.

Picked up my first Ruger Blackhawk today.
Serial number 89.
Thanks for sharing. It has been added to Bob's List. 😁

As contender mentioned in post #42, the ejector rod and housing (as well as the grip panels) are components that can easily be changed out. As such, Bob C referred to them as "screwdriver variations". Proper original parts can be found to bring a gun to original condition if so desired. :)

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
Very true words said here. No one really wants to think about this "right now".......but eventually, you have to have a plan......very true.
Carl always said he would leave me his #100 S4440 since I had #101 & #102, but of course his passage was an unexpected surprise at a fairly young age, and he never made a will. So, I had to buy it. I got a few other 100s then too. And he sold some while he was still alive, I bought the Charger from him and recall being offered the GP100 but passed.

Thanks for sharing. It has been added to Bob's List. 😁

As contender mentioned in post #42, the ejector rod and housing (as well as the grip panels) are components that can easily be changed out. As such, Bob C referred to them as "screwdriver variations". Proper original parts can be found to bring a gun to original condition if so desired. :)
I would like to have a set of original grips and an original box. If anyone knows of where these can be found, please let me know. Thank you.