"black" slide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Looking for some more detail on this gun, a P944DAO, "U" marked (letters as such), 340-49990. What I am not fully familiar with is the "coating" on the slide. Appears "powder coated". Any one know what this finish would be officially called? Does it have any rarity significance? Thanks in advance.
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
based on model, would say this gun dates back to 1996 ish, so its been out there a while. The "U" stamp since it letters adds some collectability. Unless the letter says it came with the black slide from Ruger, can only assume at some point in its past life another owner had the slide powder coated, or metal treated to make it black.

Hope this helps some

roylt

Hunter
My understanding of the "U" is it was a demo for a Ruger event or a sample gun that was fired and then sold later as refurbished at which time Ruger added the U to the serial.

If you call Ruger I'm sure they have records that would tell more of the story.

Is the trigger black as well? Some police only guns were all black but the "coating" looks thick to me so may be after market.

Call Ruger and see what they say and post it up.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The loss of detail and the gloss and darker black color lead me to believe this to be an aftermarket coated slide.

The leading-edge coatings are thin strong coatings and keep the detail of the item underneath the coating. This doesn't mean that this will be a poorly coated speciman, but it doesn't spur bushels of confidence.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
I will share with you how the gun was advertised, which by the way I have full confidence is true based upon the source.

"This is a PP-944DAO."..." The pictures show factory lube that wipes off. There is no finish damage."..." This gun is a factory demo thus the "U" with the serial nunber. That is only one of the items that contributes to its rarity. The other is it is a tactical all black version. came direct from the Ruger factory to us, no previous retail sale. It looks to be unfired other than factory testing. It was probably either tested on their range or used as a demo gun at a show or company sponsored outing."

Again, I have confidence in the "story" as told here, but have not found any public reference to this finish specifically, unless I am just not knowledgable enough to know the official name of the finish. Interesting none the less, and fun trying to figure it out!

Thanks all for your responses, interested in more ideas if you have them.

roylt

Hunter
So do you own it or just looking to buy?

Sounds like it is just what I had thought but with the serial number you can call Ruger to clarify.

I know my all black police issued PP90DC doesn't look "thick" like that but that doesn't mean it isn't factory I guess.

See the PP90 here: (More of a mat black)
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=114625

TRanger

Blackhawk
Just curious, 208. Whereabouts in Southeast Idaho are you? I used to spend a lot of time around that part of the state.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
TR, I am in Idaho Falls. Long trip for you to visit!!

roylt, I own it. It advertised and looked unique enough, so I thought what the hey. Now trying to figure out if it is what I thought :?

TRanger

Blackhawk
208packinheat said:
TR, I am in Idaho Falls. Long trip for you to visit!!

I rarely got up to Idaho Falls. Mostly spent my time in Bannock, Caribou, Franklin, Onieda, and Bear Lake Counties.

roylt

Hunter
Looks nice to me. As long as your happy that is what really matters. It would be welcome in my humble collection for sure.

Do you buy under the same name? I may have bid against you on a P93 at some point?

Flash

Buckeye
It could very well be a factory finish. I had a blue Security Six refinished by Ruger and it came back black. You can set it next to a blued gun and obviously see it's worlds away from the bluing that we're used to seeing on Rugers.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
If you want to substantiate what you really have, get a hold of Records at Newport, RECORDS DEPARTMENT (603) 863-3300, 8-4:30 Mon. - Fri ET or http://ruger.com/Firearms/PS-SerialNumberHistory.html (from Gunbroker site).

If asked nicely, they will supply you with a factory letter giving you all the information on the gun you have. If the factory has a record of the any unique features they will list it in the letter, otherwise it is just the sellers interpretation of what they believe they had. May be the truth, but with out the letter it is unsubstantiated.

If you have the factory letter, it will certainly help with the value and with future sales. See the collectors section here.

Hope this helps! :D

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Roylt, yes to your question. I like the gun, it does have at least one factory uniqueness that is certain, the "u". fun running this stuff down. :wink:

roylt

Hunter
208packinheat said:
Roylt, yes to your question.

Oops, I like to give way to other members as I'm a novice. If our paths cross again I'll take note.

Again very nice weapon.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Hey, it saved my money!! :) When the smoke clears...I can not complain. See you on the auction block in the future, and good luck.