Bearcat problem solved.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

While at the Ruger Gathering I broke out my newest Bearcat acquisition and noticed that it was 'notchy' (is that a real word?) when I cocked it. It didn't occur each time so I put it aside and figured I'd work on it later. Today is 'later'. Seem the previous owner had disassembled it at some point and when reassembling it he/she installed the cylinder latch plunger with the spring against the latch rather than the plunger against it. Reversed it, checked, and the notch is GONE.

contender said:
Drats! You can't blame that one on Ruger!

:D :D :D

Glad to hear you figured it out!
Old as that revolver was I wouldn't even think Ruger had a hand in it. (rant on) What is a shame is that someone would try to disassemble something and then reassemble it without know how. Read the instruction manual, check a video on the web, use a wee bit of common sense. It is obvious that the plunger is supposed to fit against something and not simply fill a hole in the trigger guard. (rant now off)

Common mistake, reinforced by an earlier parts illustration for a Single-Six that actually showed improper insertion of the spring/plunger.

I've had a couple that I bought used with the same goof.

Ale-8(1) said:
Common mistake, reinforced by an earlier parts illustration for a Single-Six that actually showed improper insertion of the spring/plunger.

I've had a couple that I bought used with the same goof.
BEARCAT not Single Six. Two different revolvers and two different instruction manuals. The photo in the Bearcat manual is correct as is the warning concerning the plunger removal.

Yes, I fully understand all that, and I realize the gun in question is a Bearcat. I can read, thanks.

My point is that it's not uncommon for owners of Ruger single-actions to have been exposed to an improper manual illustration and carry that over to all the single-actions.

It's also not uncommon for some folks to neither read nor understand their owner's manual, thus the rather common discovery that someone has improperly re-assembled a gun. This particular goof is, as I mentioned, rather common.

absolutely, over all these years both in the gun shops, with our service, as well as many gun shows, folks would bring us old Bearcats, that the pawl spring and plunger were installed "backwards" inside the little allen head set screw adjacent to the hammer..............easy to 'screw' someone out of a faulty, defective little bearcat, tell them its all "messed" up, needs work, and we simple remove the screw, take out the plunger and spring, put them back in and "voila", FIXED, and NO charge! 8)
I cannot recount, how often we have "fixed,re-assembled" faulty?? Bearcats and standard autos, Mark I's over the years...thats how I got the moniker "rugerguy" back in the early 70's......
A little "PR" goes a LONG, LONG way........... :wink:

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
:D :D :D

[/quote]
What is a shame is that someone would try to disassemble something and then reassemble it without know how. Read the instruction manual, check a video on the web, use a wee bit of common sense. It is obvious that the plunger is supposed to fit against something and not simply fill a hole in the trigger guard. (rant now off)[/quote]
common sense? you've got to be kidding. :)

JmE

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
That is why If it ain't broke I don't mess with it! :). I am mechanically challenged, and what you found is what would happen if I took it apart.
gramps

Same here, gramps. 8)