advice on which 45LC....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ed333

Bearcat
Although I have been long familiar with Ruger rimfires, not so much with centerfire revolvers, especially not single action. However, a while back I acquired a S&W Governor on a whim, and have become totally enamored of the 45 Colt round. Recently a friend brought his stainless engraved Vaqueros to the range, with black powder loads, from his Cowboy Action days, and what a hoot, I have been called to the Dark Side....My friend advised sticking with Rugers, but he also advised that I might like Bisley grips better, I am 6'3" with long (not beefy) hands, I get a 2XL glove when I can find them, for the length. I did not mind the grips on his 'old' Vaqueros, but am open to suggestion. I am used to shooting double action revolvers two-handed in falling plate and steel challenge matches. A not so local (not close enough to just drop in on, have to make the trip) LGS has an assortment of lightly used Rugers on hand, some blued, some stainless Vaqueros, some with std grips, some with Birds Head grips (which I am thinking might not be best for my hands). There is only one Bisley, a New Model Blackhawk with 7.5" barrel, blue. There is also a Blackhawk Convertible, 45LC/45acp, blue, 4.5", standard grip. They could get a new Vaquero Bisley in by special order, SS, 5.5", but it would be more money, by a fair amount. Another LGS has a SS convertible, faux ivories, one of a distributors special runs, for a bit more money, standard SAA grips.
Suggestions? Thanks, Ed

Ed333

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Pick the one YOU like!
Until I can get my hands on several to compare, that will be hard to do. I was mostly wondering if there was anything to the advice to go with the Bisley gripped model, to accommodate hand size, and conversely, if the Birds Head grips would be uncomfortable/hard to control for longer hands. If I am content with standard SAA grips, that opens up a lot more selection.

pisgah

Buckeye
Ed, honestly not trying to be difficult, but Chuck's given you your answer. Theoretically, I guess the Bisley grip would be most comfortable for the large-handed shooter, but the fact is that a birdshead grip might end up being your favorite. No way for me or anyone else -- except for you -- to say for sure. I have what I would call medium hands and can manage quite comfortably with any of them, although each calls for a slightly different technique for best results.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Well I have XXXL hands, and for me it is mixed results.

Regular Blackhawk pooints more naturally. Bisley is more comfortable with really heavy loads. Of coursw with an overlap in the middle.

Of course my parameters can be different from your parameters , you need hands on trigger time to see for yourself.

k22fan

Blackhawk
It's not just the height of the grip frame that matters but also the length of the top horizontal portion. Dragoon and Hunter grip frames position you knuckles further back away from the trigger guard to keep them from getting rapped by .44 Magnum recoil. They also provide a longer trigger reach for your long fingers.

My little finger curls under a "standard" Blackhawk XR3Red grip frame. That's fine for traditional old .45 Colt loads but I want that finger up on the front strap and out of the way while a .44 Magnum recoils upward rotating in my hand. I like both large plow handles but prefer the Hunter's appearance.

Dragoon and Hunter gripframes are not ordinarily available on round barrel .45 Colts but Blackhawks with switched gripframes come up for sale here occasionally. Quite a few member here have made the swap.

Ed333

Bearcat
I can relate to the trigger guard/knuckle rap comment, been there and done that, with arthritis in that middle finger. I will just have to go to the shop with more selection, handle them all, take a deep breath and hope I get lucky...If I make the wrong choice and don't overpay, I shouldn't get hurt too badly. I will be loading on the mild side, so I should keep that in mind too.
Thanks for all the input!
Ed

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can't go wrong with a standard .45 Blackhawk in the barrel length you like. Adjustable sights are a good thing. The ability to load heavier loads is also a plus.

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawk/index.html

isaactc

Bearcat
If you have very large hands, as I do, you may be surprised to find out the Bisley grip frame may allow the trigger guard to rap the knuckle on your middle knuckle-exactly the condition I was trying to avoid. I now know that the Super Blackhawk gripframe works best for my hands. I also am 6'3' and about 250#, with long, 2xl hands. I would buy either gripframe and be happy, as long as it is attached to a .45 Colt Ruger. Hands down, my favorite caliber!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The Hunter grip frame is more middle knuckle friendly than the Bisley grip for me but I shoot and prefer the Bisley grips fit to my hand.Each to his/her own. On my new Super BlackHawk Bisley .454 I find that if I wrap my little finger under the toe of the grip like I do on the plow handled guns, I can handle the heaviest loads with ease.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
As has been previously said ...handling them is your best bet. That being said , my experience has been : The standard plow handle grip does not fit me and is hard for me to control with anything other than the mildest of loads. I've gone to the Bisley grip frame for all but my Single-Six ... I have both 45 C and 44 mags... I would nudge you toward the Bisleys ...but its what works for you.

regards , brushunter

I really like my 45Colt/45ACP convertible Blackhawk in 4 5/8" bbl length. It balances quite nicely and is very handy to carry, and is easy to shoot with 45ACP. Loading it up with some warm 45 Colt loads requires adjustment of sights of course, but it is very versatile, and I can get more rounds loaded per pound of powder with the 45ACP cartridges if I gotta be stingy

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
My experience is opposite of Issactc , the Bisley is comfortable, the Dragoon hits the knuckle.

pisgah

Buckeye
Biggfoot44 said:
My experience is opposite of Issactc , the Bisley is comfortable, the Dragoon hits the knuckle.

Same here. Not so much the grip, but that square-back trigger guard --- ouch!

k22fan

Blackhawk
I've never felt the Dragoon gripframe's square back trigger guard touch my knuckles but it is still my second choice for appearance's sake. A round barrel .45 ACP & .45 Colt dual cylinder Blackhawk with a Hunter gripframe would be a great addition to Ruger's catalog. Hopefully Jason over at Lipsey's will consider ordering a batch made on the large frame. Our administrator Flatgate has made up at least one 7 1/2 incher for himself but so far as I know it is .45 Colt only.

Ed333

Bearcat
Well, I am back from the shop with the bigger selection, with an Old Vaquero, 7.5" barrel, plow share faux ivory grips, bright stainless steel, in hand. I found the New Model Blackhawk Bisley had a shorter length of pull, which jammed my knuckle right up against the trigger guard, and the old Vaquero plow share grips left a good bit of daylight; the hump of the curve protrudes further back, gave me a better handle on it. This was not true of the New Vaquero, which felt too small. I also tried a Blackhawk Convertible, which had a distinctly different sensation to the trigger, not heavier or lighter, just a feeling that there was more mass in motion once it 'went'. The Birds Head grip assortment in stainless and faux ivory were pretty nice, and felt better than I expected, but still a bit small. It came down to two almost identical 7.5" stainless faux ivory Vaqueros, both from 2004, both in unmarked condition, one with the original case at $515, and one without case @ $465. I went with the less expensive one. This was at Kittery Trading Post, ktp.com
:) Thanks for all the advice!

mc1911

Bearcat
I bought a 45 convertible Flat top. 45 A.C.P. were OK to shoot but 45 Colt with a 250 gr. bullet at 900+ battered my knuckle. I was going to find another type of grip frame for it. I purchased a set of Bearpaw grips from Missouri and that cured it.

This may be of help to someone.

sousana said:
Just remember, new mod vaqueros are rated for cowboy action loads, not full bore loads as the old model vaqueros are.

The so-called "mid-frame" guns are rated for any standard SAAMI ammo offering.

The large-frame guns will "handle" the so-called "Ruger only" loads but Ruger would not necessarily say they are "rated" for them.

:)

sousana

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
sousana said:
Just remember, new mod vaqueros are rated for cowboy action loads, not full bore loads as the old model vaqueros are.

The so-called "mid-frame" guns are rated for any standard SAAMI ammo offering.

The large-frame guns will "handle" the so-called "Ruger only" loads but Ruger would not necessarily say they are "rated" for them.

:)

I solved that with a ruger alaskan 454 :roll: