45lc blackhawk. Needs cylinder throats reamed.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Even enough pin gauges to properly check one gun may not be in his budget. If you read his many posts,, you will see why I'm mentioning this. He's on a tight budget.

hittman

Staff member
We may be providing answers to a problem that doesn't even exist.
If it were mine I'd just 1. Shoot it and if there's an issue 2. PM 2dogs,
Keep it simple. Save money spent on tools, etc for ammo.

Papalote

Single-Sixer
If it is dangerous to shoot shouldn't he send it back to Ruger? I'm no expert. I got a 22 pistol for Christmas when I was 12. 60 years ago and have owned and shot a lot of handguns since then. I also go with if it isn't broke don't try and fix a problem that is not there. JMO

jgt

Buckeye
If you call Fermin he will put your mind at ease. You can send him your cylinder and if it needs no reaming he will let you know. If it does he will let you know that also. Call him before trying to do something yourself. He is not expensive.

I keep a box of Hornady .451" lead balls on my work bench for measuring cylinder throats and barrel groove diameters. I usually give them a light whack with a ballpeen hammer to slightly increase their diameters when measuring .45 cylinders, oil them, then tap them in with a brass hammer, then through with a brass punch.
I just bought a Blackhawk Flat Top convertible and my cylinders throats all measured pretty much .4515" according to my micrometer. Groove diameter was .4505".

Onty

Single-Sixer
A " do it yourself tool " that I would suggest are lapping pins...look up ACRO lapping tools. Not the quickest
and you do still need the gauge pins for measurement but the laps will work well and you can hit whatever size
you can measure to.
Yep!

index001001.jpg

Website

oldcrab

Bearcat
I recommend you don't rush to a conclusion of the size you want your cylinder throats to be, or what size your lead bullet diameter should be until you slug your bore and find out what the maximum groove diameter is in your barrel.
Reason is, the bullets you shoot should be at least a 1 or 2 thousandths larger in diameter than your largest barrel-groove diameter.
Otherwise, if the bullets are smaller, you would probably get some gas cutting and filling up those grooves.
-So, in short, get the barrel groove diameter by slugging your bore.
-Whatever that is, add a couple thousandths to that for the diameter you need to size your lead bullets.
-Then that-sized bullet needs to friction-fit the cylinder throats, where you can finger push the bullet through the throats. Not being able to finger push through your throat openings with that properly-sized bullet tells you what size to get the cylinder throats opened to. In fact you would send some of those bullets along with whoever does your cylinder work so you have a nice fit, and not so-tight that excess pressure would smack you in the face.

I'll add that a smart test before doing gun work on your cylinder would be to order a sample pack of bullets that do friction-fit your existing cylinder throats, and load and shoot them.... If you get very small or no-leading, then you won't have to slug your bore, because no-leading would mean your bullet size is indeed greater that your barrel groove diameter as evidenced by no lead in the grooves.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

Crab

Latest posts