5.56 Scout rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
bentblade said:
Mtn Biker said:
I am curious if the Ruger magazine will allow for longer cartridge overall lengths. The COL limits of the AR magazines can be limiting with heavy bullets.

VL
It should. Just saw one in my local shop and was totally disgusted with the stupid thing. I was expecting a scaled down version of the 308. Instead they just re barreled to 223 and made a 223 magazine the same size as the 308. and that's why they didn't use ar or mini 14 mags.

This seems to be pretty much the norm. Many manufacturers use the same short action for their .223 and .308 rifles. Many deploy a spacer in the magwell to make the .223/5.56 work. One exception that comes to mind is the excellent CZ 527 which is a true "minature" Mauser action built for the relatively short .223/5.56. If CZ made a scout it would be a sweet little rig for sure.

welder

Buckeye
Al James said:
]

One exception that comes to mind is the excellent CZ 527 which is a true "minature" Mauser action built for the relatively short .223/5.56. If CZ made a scout it would be a sweet little rig for sure.

Yes it would and sell like crazy. I had 527 in 7.62X39 and it was a well built smooth gun. I sold it and got the Ruger Scout in .308 which I like a lot. Just this week I looked at a CZ527 in .223, a beautiful perfectly sized gun for the .223. About 8 feet down on the rack sat 5 Rugers, 3 of which were .223. I believe they have been there a while.

Al James

Hunter
welder said:
Yes it would and sell like crazy. I had 527 in 7.62X39 and it was a well built smooth gun. I sold it and got the Ruger Scout in .308 which I like a lot. Just this week I looked at a CZ527 in .223, a beautiful perfectly sized gun for the .223. About 8 feet down on the rack sat 5 Rugers, 3 of which were .223. I believe they have been there a while.

If CZ did decide to jump into the Scout game I would recommend they change the chamber to 5.56 or Wylde and lose the 1-12" twist they use in the American. I believe the varmint and tactical models are both 1-9" although I would prefer a 1-8" to be the slowest they would offer. Open up the bottom metal and change the mag to a double stack instead of the clumsy single stack they currently use. Listen to me...I want one and it doesn't even exist. :roll:

welder

Buckeye
True Bill but for a new Ruger rifle in a store like Whittakers, (my lgs) they usually move quickly, relatively speaking. If a rifle were gonna sell it would be there. I've handled the .556 versions on each of my visits and while it's a good gun I don't think it is gonna be nearly as successful as the .308 version. When the .308 came out I had to wait several weeks to get my hands on one. Just my unscientific personal observation.

Welder,

Did you purchase the 308 Scout that you handled?

I have shot both of mine in 308 a great deal.

I have a crush on those rifles. 8)

While the .223 is not ideal, I would have one right now if it was not for Christmas.

I can not bring myself to cancel Christmas so I can have a third Scout. :lol:

It would be interesting to collect some data on sales of this new caliber offering.

Bill

Al James

Hunter
I'm going to get one. At first I was a little unenthusiastic about it not taking AR mags. The more I have pondered it I have come to the conclusion that its not a deal breaker for me. In reading around I have found a lot of feedback from people complaining that it does not take AR mags and they are pretty confident that it is destined to fail because it takes a "proprietary" magazine. It got me to thinking more about this opinion, and I have a few questions:

1. How is it that the original GSR [308] has done so well and it takes a "proprietary" mag instead of the SR25/DPMS pattern magazine? It has been one of the hottest selling Ruger centerfire BA guns in Ruger history.

2. Was the reason for this latest disdain caused directly by the MVP series and the fact that they both accept AR15/SR25 magazines?

3. Or is it because while the GSR [308] uses the AI mag not everyone has a 308 AR and SR25/DPMS mags so it didn't bother quite as many. On the other hand so many people have an AR15, making the mags that much more common. Which in turn makes more people upset the 5.56 wont use the same mags as their AR15 rifles.

Not wanting to argue with anyone who won't buy a 5.56 GSR because to each his own. I'm just trying to figure out the difference in acceptance between 2 identical guns [except chambering of course] Whats your .02?

welder

Buckeye
Buckeye Bill said:
Welder,

Did you purchase the 308 Scout that you handled?

It would be interesting to collect some data on sales of this new caliber offering.

Bill

I sure did and I really like it. It sold quickly when it came out and like the M77/.357 I had to make several trips to the shop and wait my turn. It serves my purpose as a do-all, be-all gun. Proportioned perfectly for the cartridge in my opinion and stout as a hammer.

Al,
to speak to your post I guess your point #3 would explain my position on the new Scout best. I wanted a magazine fed .556 bolt gun to mate up with my AR's and share mags, like the MVP, but I would rather it come from Ruger. I've spent quite a bit of time fondling the .556 Scout and like someone else posted, found that big blocked 308 mag unappealing in the smaller caliber. I know some other manufactures use the same action too, like Ruger did for both cartridges.

If I decide to go with a .556 bolt gun it might as well be the MVP. They are getting good reviews and press and the price is a bit better. I was unsure about that pick up tab on the bolt holding up but have seen no problems on any of the boards.

The Ruger has been beat up on quite a bit on the other boards over the mag issue. If the MVP or the properly proportioned CZ 527 (mag issue again) weren't available I'd probably get one.

Who know, I may still yet. I do like my Rugers.

rangerbob

Buckeye
One of the main selling points about the .308 Scout is the fact that Ruger has offered the less expensive polymer mags in 3, 5 and 10 round capacity. Stick in the 3 rounder and one has a fine hunting rifle. Use the 5 rounder for a little more firepower, and the 10 rounder for firefights. With the cost of AR-15 rifles coming down, it may make more sense to get a AR than a hi-cap bolt action 5.56. As far as a bolt rifle is concerned, I continue to use my Browning A-bolt super short action in 223. Bob!! :)

Meeko

Single-Sixer
It seems the ones concerned about it not taking the AR mags are giving too much emphasis on exchanging magazines on bolt guns. Magazine exchange and bolt guns just don't go hand in hand. They are not really made for hunting or a woods gun or light defensive needs more than that extensive fire fight some folks refer too. I know this is an old comparison but look at the British with their Lee Enfields! Most would not use more than 1 or 2 magazines anyway not to mention the whole capacity issue, 20-30 rounds is a lot of work on a bolt gun at one time.

It's a bolt gun not an AR. If you want a lighter rifle in 223/5.56 and like a bolt gun it's for you. If you want 30 rounds the AR's are for you. To each their own It's just an option and obviously there was enough interest or Ruger wouldn't have turned them out. Not to mention it is an option to some of those in the more restrictive states.

JMHO

drastic_quench

Bearcat
So have it take mini 14 mags then. It's ridiculous that they came out with yet another proprietary 223 mag when they already have the mini and have been making ARs.

Having it take either an AR or mini 14 mag (especially) would've been like a little brand loyalty reward. Instead, they go for the triple dip.

dad11345

Bearcat
Brand loyalty has nothing to do with Mini 14 magazines or AR magazines fitting a bolt action rifle. Quality and value do.

On one hand, I have so many guns all taking a different magazine. The next best red hot gun to hit the market will likely have its own magazine too, but that will not stop me, if it's a good gun.

So enter the Ruger Scout Rifle. I also think it should have used AR or Mini magazines. So what gives me the right to be critical of this Scout Rifle, when I'd not think twice about buying any other new gun that has proprietary magazines? I'm guilty of this double standard.

On the other hand, having owned the Mossberg version, and it does use AR magazines, I am a bit jaded, as the Mossberg is the perfect combination of everything.

Did I say something positive about Mossberg? :roll: Oh how the world turns! :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

dad11345

Bearcat
Criticizing a Ruger product over a Mossberg magazine make no sense on a Ruger forum.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
What some are not thinking of (or some might not care) but in this age of global markets we export several of our firearms to other countries. Some of those countries have restrictions on either no semi auto actions or no military compatible hi cap mags etc etc etc. While that is probably not a big concern for the US public or even the gun manufactures they benefit from having a few offerings that can be exported in popular calibers. Prime example is Australia and New Zealand. They can have manual operated firearms which Australia if I am not mistaken is why Ruger offered the stainless scout with the slightly longer barrel which is allowed in Australia (could be mistaken) Thats why the Rem 7615 pump action was so popular in Australia.

If we were unfourtunatle in the US to have restrictions on say semi auto rifles the Ruger scout in 223 and 308 as well as a resurgence in the Rem 7615 would be about as good an alternative in that scenario IMHO

black029

Single-Sixer
dad11345 said:
Criticizing a Ruger product over a Mossberg magazine make no sense on a Ruger forum.

It makes no sense anywhere. People, get over the "magazine issue". Cooper's original concept had a hinged floor plate. He wasn't planning on storming ISIS main goat herd with this gun. One mag, which is included, should suffice until the P mags arrive. I have my SIG 556 and plenty of loaded mags ready to deal with whatever.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
black029 said:
dad11345 said:

It makes no sense anywhere. People, get over the "magazine issue". Cooper's original concept had a hinged floor plate. He wasn't planning on storming ISIS main goat herd with this gun. One mag, which is included, should suffice until the P mags arrive. I have my SIG 556 and plenty of loaded mags ready to deal with whatever.

Maybe it's just me but I never go through mags to the point on any bolt actions where I have to reload (as with a new 2nd, 3rd or 4th) magazine like I have with an M16/M4 in the military or work now or my own AR 15's

Just find the thought process that some want to treat a bolt gun like an AR platform funny. As pointed out even the British didn't issue out spare magazines for their beloved SMLE's!

Not knocking anyone to each their own but I myself like the Ruger scout rifle and don't have any issues with a different magazine that only holds 10 rounds. JMHO

Mack41

Bearcat
I bought one the first day I could lay my hands on it. Every thread I've read turns into a magazine discussion or talk about how it doesn't fit Jeff Cooper's idea of a scout rifle. I don't own an AR or a Mini-14 and if I did the magazine incompatibility wouldn't matter to me anyway. AR mags don't fit in my OM Blackhawks either but I still manage to get them to go off.

The rifle stands by itself. .223 is cheap to load and shoot, light to carry, and easy on the shoulder. It's a great gun to grab and throw in the truck when the dog and I go for a ride up in the mountains. It shoots better than me no matter what ammo I stick in it. And it's a Ruger.

Latest posts