5.56 Scout rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welder

Buckeye
TnTnTn said:
Ho hum- a decent looking rifle but the lack of AR magazine is a killer for me.

Same here.

I have a good stash of AR mags in just about every capacity. I would even have liked it had it used Mini14 mags as I have several of those too. But $70 proprietaries, not a chance.

Ruger now has four rifles chambered in .556/.223 and each uses a different magazine.

Major T

Blackhawk
Gentlemen, there are some things I like about this rifle, but i must have a smaller magazine than the twenty rounder hanging out the bottom. Something like the flush Mini-14 magazine would do it for me. Otherwise, I would rather have a Standard model and cut the barrel to 20". 16 is just too much of a good thing with high pressure rounds. Does anyone make them?

thanks, Jack

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Put a scout scope base and sights on this and you would have a pretty nice Scout rifle.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html.

Major T

Blackhawk
I really don't care for scout scopes. The barrel is a bit short here as well as the scout. I have located a lightweight 20" stainless Hawkeye for just a hundred more than list on this one. I need to find out what the twist is on the 77. Thanks, Jack

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
bentblade said:
Put a scout scope base and sights on this and you would have a pretty nice Scout rifle.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html.

It makes length. It makes weight. But it's not in a proper scout caliber. Fail.

shatolang

Bearcat
I love shooting my 308 scout. A cheap shooting 223 version would be a blast to own. Plus there lefty and righty. $75 a mag is crazy but i can see that price dropping eventually.

dad11345

Bearcat
I like the idea of the scout in 223. Thirty round AR15 magazines not working in the scout being a deal breaker is a joke to me. Who factors in a 30 round magazine on a bolt rifle. Funny :lol:

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I am curious if the Ruger magazine will allow for longer cartridge overall lengths. The COL limits of the AR magazines can be limiting with heavy bullets.

VL

drastic_quench

Bearcat
dad11345 said:
I like the idea of the scout in 223. Thirty round AR15 magazines not working in the scout being a deal breaker is a joke to me. Who factors in a 30 round magazine on a bolt rifle. Funny :lol:
Mossberg, that's who.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-series

More importantly, not all AR mags are 30 rounds. Smaller capacity mags are pretty darn common.

welder

Buckeye
dad11345 said:

Actually, no one posted that they wished the new rifle could take "Thirty round AR15 magazines." You must be the only one thinking along those lines.

What some of us would rather see would be a .556 Scout type rifle that would take one of the 5, 10, 20 etc. magazines many of us already own and can be purchased for far less than $75. Oh, wait, Mossberg has that rifle covered already.

What's really funny is that Ruger chooses a propriety magazine for the Mini 14, the new Scout type .556, and the American .223. At least they thought to use the AR mag in the .556 piston AR and I hope in the new DI AR just announced.

dad11345

Bearcat
Funny stuff. You mention AR15 magazines and the current standard is 30 rounds, but its wrong to assume it? It still does not change the fact that you are ruling out the purchase of a firearm because a part from a separate weapons system (MSR) does not work in it (a bolt action).

welder

Buckeye
dad11345 said:
Funny stuff. You mention AR15 magazines and the current standard is 30 rounds, but its wrong to assume it? It still does not change the fact that you are ruling out the purchase of a firearm because a part from a separate weapons system (MSR) does not work in it (a bolt action).

Yes, you are wrong to "assume it". Most assumptions are just that, what you define them to be. As I and others here have pointed out, AR mags come in many different capacities. You could have just as easily "assumed" we meant 10 rounders.

You are correct on the "ruling out part". $75 dollar proprietary mags, (7.5% of the rifle price), does it for me. Ruger missed it with this gun. We'll see how it sells. YMMV

dad11345

Bearcat
By the way current standard does not mean other capacity magazines do not exists. Standard is just a basis of comparison. Like saying most new AR15`s ship with 30 round magazines as standard equipment. Does that help?

dad11345

Bearcat
I picked up a Ruger polymer magazine for my 308 scout today. I doubt it will be long before they are out in polymer for the 223/5.56 also.

I have two 308 Ruger Scouts.

16.5 inch Blued with scout scope
18 inch SS with conventional scope

Both are great guns and they have seen much use.

I like the idea of a 223 version also!

The name "Scout' simply carries too much history with Jeff Cooper's concept.

The 223 rifle would be handy and useful. That is why I would want one.

So much of the disapproval is based on the use of the "Scout" name and the type of magazine that are being used. If you like the M77 rifle, I think that this is a winner.

New Steyr will cost you over $1400 out the door.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_427/products_id/411542572

The Steyr Scout also comes in 223, 243 and a few offerings.
http://www.steyrarms.com/products/hunting-rifles/scout/
They still get to call it a Scout.

A Steyr Scout magazine still costs $42 for a five rounder.
http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/catalog/category/view/s/magazines/id/182/

If you just look at the Ruger as a bolt action rifle that has innovative features that make it useful and flexible in purpose than I think they have a winner.

The magazine prices will come down. Polymer mags will be coming just like they did in the 308.

Bill

dad11345

Bearcat
The 5.56/223 1/8 twist gives us some reasonable priced ammo to shoot and a good range of bullet weights.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Mtn Biker said:
I am curious if the Ruger magazine will allow for longer cartridge overall lengths. The COL limits of the AR magazines can be limiting with heavy bullets.

VL
It should. Just saw one in my local shop and was totally disgusted with the stupid thing. I was expecting a scaled down version of the 308. Instead they just re barreled to 223 and made a 223 magazine the same size as the 308. and that's why they didn't use ar or mini 14 mags.

Latest posts