.45 flattop grip change

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Last summer I bought a Lipsey's .45 flattop that I intend to change the grips on. The gun I love but I don't particularly care for the smooth simulated ivory grip for either feel or looks. I've handled a .44 special flattop that has the Ruger black checkered grips and prefer their feel in the hand but have not fired a gun that wears them. I've seen these referred to as "cheese graters". To get to the point, based on your experience, are the black checkered grips that uncomfortable when shooting? Would you recommend I go to my other option of a set of rosewood Eagle Gunfighters?

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Those black plastic checkered grips are CRAP.
The very first thing I do to a new Ruger single action is to replace them.

The Eagle gunfighter grips will do just fine.

The "cheese graters" are a throwback to the original "hard rubber" grips used on the first Single-Sixes and .357 Blackhawks. Ruger has used them lately for our amusement, and probably because they are inexpensive.

I find them to be OK if not used with serious magnum loads. Then it indicates the use of gloves or a swap to other panels. For looks, I like the fancy walnuts that Lett used to make . . . and of course they work fine, as well.

To me, "simulated ivories" are too slick for good gun handling, and most of them look like exactly what they are . . . plastic.

JMHO
:)

contender

Ruger Guru
I would suggest you shoot the 45 Flattop with the hard plastic ones before making any decisions. If your loads are mild, and you have any sweaty palms, those may be just fine.
That said, many of us who shoot the normal Blackhawks and/or heavier loads, tend to prefer the wooden grips as they offer a good feel and proper recoil control. Just remember, a SA plowhandle gun is supposed to roll up a bit in the hand, and the checkering can prevent this, giving them the term "cheesegrater" grips.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Goldstar225 said:
Last summer I bought a Lipsey's .45 flattop that I intend to change the grips on. The gun I love but I don't particularly care for the smooth simulated ivory grip for either feel or looks. I've handled a .44 special flattop that has the Ruger black checkered grips and prefer their feel in the hand but have not fired a gun that wears them. I've seen these referred to as "cheese graters". To get to the point, based on your experience, are the black checkered grips that uncomfortable when shooting? Would you recommend I go to my other option of a set of rosewood Eagle Gunfighters?

The "cheese grater" grips work fine...not so much for looks...but function is fine.

I also like the cheese graters on the low-recoiling .45 and .44 Spl.

If a guy could otherwise like the cheese graters, but would like something a bit less chintzy, Eagle and Hogue both make some very nice checkered exotic-wood replacements.

WAYNO.

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I also have the 45 FT Convertible and replaced the grips with some cheap black OEM grips I had laying around. They work much better for me and I plan on leaving them on as I shop around for some aftermarket ones that look nicer.
The white plastic ones were to slick for me.

VL

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
I replaced the plastic ivory grips on mine with the solid black checkered grips from Ruger...

Then traded another set of grips for these black checkered models with the silver medallion...

I like the flared shape of the black grips better than the narrow smooth white plastic grips the FT came with.

Like WAYNO, I don't mind the feel of the checkered grips for the mid-frame SA's shooting standard/warm loads, but for the large frames shooting +P/heavy loads, give me smooth wood/micarta every time.

Stump

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Stump,

That's a nice looking 45 flat top. I like the medallion black grips that give it a traditional look.

The black checkered Ruger grips are a bit sharp when new, promoting the 'cheese grater' description. But I've found that just knocking off the sharp points of the diamond checkering with fine grit paper eliminates the issue for me.

Thanks for all the informed comments gentlemen, I appreciate it. I may give the cheese graters a try fist since my loads top out at 900-950 FPS with a 255 SWC. If that doesn't work, the eagle gunfighters will be next.

I also recommend that you check out Altamont grips - they aren't expensive and they have a good selection. Sanding/fitting is quite minimal - I just put a set on my Blackhawk and they look much nicer than the black cheese graters.

Rclark

Hunter
I like the Bearpaw grip myself. What I have on my .45s. Can't stand plastic or cheese graters.

Ruger45ConvertiblesNewGrips_zpscfef10c4.jpg

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
Wish I could post pictures here but cannot. Anyhoo, I put a set of Elk stag's on my Flat Top .45. Methinks I'm a bit biased but it looks great.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
I also like the cheese graters on the low-recoiling .45 and .44 Spl.

You must be shooting factory ammo for a SAA!!! You wouldn't say that if you were shooting my Bisley Black Hawk:

SBHAccusport45Lc.jpg

You shoot this gun with my hunting loads and you will not make that statement!!! 8)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes, no matter what grips it has on it. But especially with the Bisley grip frame! They have the smallest space behind the trigger guard of any Ruger factory grip frame and love to bash the knuckles of some. But with smaller hands and some other people don't have that problem. It's a good thing that we have choices.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Interesting thread. I have thought of changing mine but haven't seen any the called "buy me" yet.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
For the record, the cheese graters on my Lipsey's .44 Spl fit my hand very well and I shoot it better than any SA previous. Have been up to the Skeeter load with no problems with them. Haven't done any Catagory 3 loads for it yet but don't perceive any grip issues if / when that happens.