45 Colt + HS6 mid-level load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerbh73

Bearcat
I've been shooting 13gr HS6 with 270swc (Leadheads) Win case and primers. About 1050 from my 5 1/2" bisley. My bisley 45 colt cylinder has slightly undersized throats and this load is still very accurate. I have not shot any deer with it yet, but hopefully this fall I'll get to try it out. I got the idea for 13gr HS6 from an article on John Linebaugh's web site.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Wow, I'm suprised that this thread made its way back to the top. It looks like most people have been using 13-14 grains of HS6 behind lead boolits from 250-280 gr and getting 1050-1130 fps. THANKS!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have been using 12.0g of HS6 with a 255g LSCW bullet and getting 2" groups at 25 yards with my Redhawk. I'm using 12.5g with the 250g XTP. Recoil is moderate. Haven't tried going higher yet. HS6 is a pleasure to load because I don't have to weigh each charge, like I do with Unique or Blue Dot. My chronograph is down so I don't have velocity data.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
pvtschultz":1ydjr1v3 said:
Wow, I'm suprised that this thread made its way back to the top. It looks like most people have been using 13-14 grains of HS6 behind lead boolits from 250-280 gr and getting 1050-1130 fps. THANKS!

I'm glad I came across this thread last week. Loaded up 100 with 13gr of HS6 and some 250gr LRNFP. Look forward to getting a chance to use them, if it ever stops raining.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have not had a fouling issue with HS6. I load 12.5g with a 250g XTP and 12.0g with a 255g LSWC. Surprisingly easy to clean the barrel and cylinder. Sure, some black crap comes out. But no unburnt powder.
I prefer HS6 to Blue Dot for mid level loads because I don't have to weigh each charge. Unique is not suitable for these loads, in my view.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Well lazyness, weather and yard chores permitting I finally got to try out some of the "lighter" loads for the .45 Colt. As said earlier I too had some interest in HS-6 perhaps as a "replacement" for Unique. Here is some of what I found. Incidentally, these were shot from a 4 5/8 USFA SAA, not the Blackhawk. Accuracy was very good for all, not sure which would be better in that regard.
5.5 gr. Bullseye 725 fps
5.8 gr. Trail Boss 675 fps
7.5 gr Universal 675 fps
11.0 gr. HS-6 850 fps
Despite the "low" pressures these were all fairly clean, not great but OK. My surprise though was Trail Boss. I'd never used it before but had read some comments on it mostly from the Cowboy users. Well, guess what? This stuff is really good. Measures extremely well through my RCBS, as good or better than any powder I've used. It would be a snap to up the velocity of the loads I made up as 5.8 gr. is the very low end. Burns very clean. Besides that, the stuff is cute. Sort of like small donuts. I sure plan to try more of this powder. HS-6 was certainly good also but maybe I've found something just a little bit better for low velocity in the big Colt. Interesting. Gerry

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Sorry, I left out of my last post. The bullet was Hornady 255 gr RNFP, CCI 350 primers and Winchester cases. Very little leading after about 150 rounds. Gerry

I'm also glad I came across this thread HS6 seems to be a good powder for the 45, I've used it a lot in my 41mag. My go to powder for plinkers in the 45colt has always been Unique altho it's a little on the dirty side it is very econmical to use. I clean my guns after each use anyways so a little extra powder residue I can live with. ps

Rclark

Hunter
Trail Boss.... It would be a snap to up the velocity of the loads I made up as 5.8 gr. is the very low end. Burns very clean. Besides that, the stuff is cute. Sort of like small donuts. I sure plan to try more of this powder.
Just don't compress the loads. I use 6.0g with the 250g RNFP in .45 Colt for good accuracy and comfortable to shoot all day.

bchannell

Bearcat
I've been shooting 11.5gr HS6 with a 250 gr LSWC bullet and getting good accuracy. The cases are smoked quite a bit, but I really don't care. I will admit that 8-9gr of Unique shoot just a tad better and don't cause the case smoking, so it looks like a better powder for me.
I just recently reamed the cylinder throats on my .45 to .4525 and can't wait to see how/if it changed anything.

By the way, is it my imagination or is HS6 quite a bit louder than say, Unique in the .45??

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
bchannell":188688hd said:
I've been shooting 11.5gr HS6 with a 250 gr LSWC bullet and getting good accuracy. The cases are smoked quite a bit, but I really don't care. I will admit that 8-9gr of Unique shoot just a tad better and don't cause the case smoking, so it looks like a better powder for me.
I just recently reamed the cylinder throats on my .45 to .4525 and can't wait to see how/if it changed anything.

By the way, is it my imagination or is HS6 quite a bit louder than say, Unique in the .45??

It is a slower powder and more powder burning may be happening outside the barrel than with Unique. Just a guess.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I got my PACT chrono back from the factory yesterday, and used it today to test my 12.0g HS6 load in my 4" Redhawk. I found the 255g SWC bullet with 12.0g HS6 averaged 893 fps.
So it looks like I will be trying 12.5 to 13.0g of HS6 next. My goal is 1000 fps. I like HS6 because it is consistant on my Dillon press and allows me to load without weighing each charge.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I used a 280 gr hard-cast with 13 grains of HS-6 and got 1042-1051 fps for 5 shots out of Colt 7 1/2" bbl (New Frontier .45C). The mean average deviation was only 3.25 fps which is the lowest deviation I've measured of four well-known powders, including also H-110, H4227, and Alliant 2400.
The bullets were Mt. Baldy, recoil I perceived as medium, and deemed safe in my New Frontier by a very famous gunmaker friend of mine. This powder is a bit faster-burning than the others listed here, so provides a bit sharper recoil (perception). This 280-gr is a WFN design and would be a great hunting round.
Sonnytoo