.45 acp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Will I did it. Was in the local gun shop and seen a used S&W .45 acp Shield and brought it home. It's real close in size to my Glock 48, 9mm single stack. I fired a box of Rem FMJ 230 gr. It shoots damn nice. Trigger is good, sights not bad. I switched back and forth at the range from the Glock 48 and S&W. Yea, the 9mm has less recoil but not much less and is lighter. I finally shot a mag as fast as possible while hitting a 10 inch steel gong at 15 yds with each gun. The .45 takes a little more recovery time to get back on target but the 9mm also need to be resighted before sending a round. It might become a CCW gun for me. More range time is needed. The .45 uses a 6 or 7 shot mag, the 9mm a 10. Neither is a deal breaker. I prefer the 7 shot .45 mag vs the 6 as it gives more hand grip.

Tom in Ohio

Bearcat
Most people are better served with a 9mm than a .45 ACP. If you have the same ammo budget, you'll be able to get a lot more practice with a 9mm, which is far more important than any marginal difference in terminal ballistics between the two.

I've shot both in competition, and the reduced recoil of the 9mm allows faster hits. It's also easier for the less experienced to shoot well. When I was a police firearms instructor, my department issued pistols in both calibers—officers' choice. When I joined, it was Sig P226 or P220. About 60% went with the 45 (including me). I oversaw the transition to Glocks and encouraged the worse shooters to switch to 9mm, which helped them a lot. When I left, about 60% were shooting 9mm (including me).

I love .45 1911s and I carry them, but I also carry Glock 9mms. I go back and forth. Part of me believes that the 1911 in .45 is pistol perfection, but another part knows that I can outshoot my $3000 1911 with a $600 Glock 34 (with 18 rounds on board) any day of the week.

You can never be wrong with a .45 ACP.
I agree
20230112_092314.jpg

Couple of years ago I talked a friend into going to the Sig Academy with me and one of the courses we took was shooting a pistol at distance. This guy is a retired marine drill instructor and he loves his 1911s.... I've said it before... I swear he was giggling shooting a 1911 and hitting that man sized steel silhouette at 120 yards.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
JMB's design has served our country well for over 100 years in unimaginable combat conditions around the world from deserts to mountains, jungles, and cities. Hard to argue with that level of reliability and success. :)

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Regardless of all the fancy bullet designs out there one fact holds true. The .45 acp starts with a bigger hole.

One other personally observed fact is also this. The . 45 acp works.

I was just out back doing some more break-in of my Tisas Tanker with those fancy bullet designs. They all work. But that Underwood 255grn +P really works if you need deep penetration. :devilish:

.45acp ammo.jpg

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Gunny, thanks for the info on hunting type .45 ACP ammo. With regards to the hard cast ammo, it is not all that powerful, and delivers just 484 ft. lbs. of ME. It is a heavier bullet, usually at 250-255 gr, as compared to the normal 230 gr for .45 ACP ammo. Thee is lots of .45 ACP ammo that is more powerful, although heavy penetration may be quite useful. For instance, there is the Atomic 185 gr bonded JHP which delivers 616 ft. lbs.

Also, there are very few manufacturer that make ,45 ACP with hard cast bullets, but I did find two others besides the Underwood one: (1) Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman (https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214)
(2) LOST RIVER AMMUNITION (https://www.lostriverammocompany.com/product/45-ACP-P-250-Grn-Hard-Cast-Flat-Point-100-RND)

BearBiologist

Hunter
I was just out back doing some more break-in of my Tisas Tanker with those fancy bullet designs. They all work. But that Underwood 255grn +P really works if you need deep penetration. :devilish:

View attachment 25981
I have Underwood ammo for my new Springfield Armory XDM, all of our 9mm (124 gr for the G43 and 147 Gr for the G-17), for my 357 Sigs, and my 10mm (both defense and bear! loads) and 125 gr for my 357 Python.

Last edited:

pawncop

Blackhawk
FWIW, I carried a three sidearms as my duty weapon starting in 1989.
S&W 4506
Glock 21C
S&W M&P.

I loved my 4506, but it was just too heavy when I was assigned to plain clothes.

The Glock was OK, and I liked the 13+1 capacity, but as soon as the M&P in 45 came out I started carrying it until I retired.

BearBiologist

Hunter
You can never be wrong with a .45 ACP.
Just saw an ad for an RIA Match @ $200 off at Sportsmans. Sold my 1911s a while ago (I had a dozen or more in the stable) and really missed them. Seemed real nice, good reviews, and my brother endorsed it (He shoots 1911 in competition). Get it out of hock and I'll report on it!

edm1

Single-Sixer
That 45 shield is a great gun. I carried one for a few years. It is built solid and points great.

Latest posts