.41 Mag Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

It would be easy enough to have a stainless Flat Top made...just buy one in .357 Magnum, send it to Jack Huntington and in a few months it comes back.... I had the same done with a Uberti Cattleman...

Since I have a 4.25" and 5.5" Freedom Arms 97 that are smaller than a FT it doesn't make much sense ...

Wow! This request is still alive and kicking. I don't remember if I've commented on this thread before or not.

BUT… sign me up!

It would be nice to see more offerings in the 41 magnum caliber.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It would be easy enough to have a stainless Flat Top made...just buy one in .357 Magnum, send it to Jack Huntington and in a few months it comes back.... I had the same done with a Uberti Cattleman...

Since I have a 4.25" and 5.5" Freedom Arms 97 that are smaller than a FT it doesn't make much sense ...
For 41 mag the cylinder should be a 5 shot for safety sake.

Several of the posters over on the Single Action Forums have original 3-screw Flat Tops and OMs in .41 Magnum and no one has reported any problems.

Brian Pearce had USFA make him two SAAs each with a .41 Special and .41 Magnum cylinders...(see HANDLOADER Magazine #304 and #305) In speaking with some people at USFAs, they said that their guns would take .41 Magnum but .44 Magnum beat them up too badly. They were about to start making the Shooting Master in what they called .41 Short Mag. (.41 Special). I asked to order one but was told until they had the barrel stock in hand they didn't want to take any orders. Shortly thereafter the owner dropped the SAs for the ZIP Gun and the rest is history...

I got hold of a .357 Shooting Master and had David Clements transform it into a .41 Special...he told me I could have .41 Magnum or Special as the gun would take it... I made it a Special just to make it special...

I stand corrected; it was about 1400, not 6000. They are on the large frame with the old model XR3 size grip frame which is not real knuckel friendly for shooting magnums.

...I'd like to know where he got that number from... I got mine directly from the distributor who has the exclusive... If there was a second run, I doubt they made 1100 of them...there were only 300 in the first batch...

...and the XR3 gripframe is one of the reasons I sold mine... It had the black cheese grader grips that made shooting that much more unpleasant. I did replace the grips with a nice set of bonded ivory but still wasn't happy with it.

1674053502635.jpeg

Clements Custom .41 Special...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Several of the posters over on the Single Action Forums have original 3-screw Flat Tops and OMs in .41 Magnum and no one has reported any problems.
I presume you mean the 3 screw .357 mid frame flat top since the .44 large frame flat top is a
no-brainer.

I converted a 3 screw 357 FT to 44 Special long ago. It has handled anything I could load in it for years.

Emailed William's the other day but the CS rep who wrote back didn't know the numbers and suggested I contact Ruger...

I need to see if I can find the exact model numbers before I do as it will make their search easier...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Emailed William's the other day but the CS rep who wrote back didn't know the numbers and suggested I contact Ruger...

I need to see if I can find the exact model numbers before I do as it will make their search easier...
The Williams special distributor model # is S458N-41. It's a blue large frame Flat top BH with 4 5/8" barrel in .41 Mag. And now I don't find the approximate 1400 production # in the book as I had recalled. So likely got that # from a forum post.

Last edited:
Jack Huntington
JRH Precision Gunsmithing

Tyler Gunworks

Alan Harton...Single Action Services

You probably have the easiest and least expensive conversion going.
I would suggest having the front sight replaced with a dovetailed sight so windage and elevation adjustments can be made. That is what I had Jack Huntington do on the Cattleman Conversion and it gives a MUCH clearer sight picture.

Latest posts