Ruger Bearcat stainless & blue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shep

Single-Sixer
A guy that I know over on youtube came up with a bearcat from Cabelas (supposedly new) that is blue with a stainless barrel. Anyone else run across one like this.
Link to his video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlzuKx5DrQ

That bearcat disappears in his hands! Let me see he has had it apart twice, and when he finishes the video he is going to take it apart to clean it again, and it has never been fired! Talk about OCD! Nice looking gun though. Hope he doesn't scratch it cleaning it. :mrgreen:
gramps

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That is an interesting Bearcat, a pinto! It has a stainless trigger as well as hammer and barrel. Never seen that combination before on any Ruger. Ruger is using stainless hammers and triggers on all single actions now. Does it have the new 4 1/4" barrel made for the Canadian market since they have a minimum legal length of 4" barrels? I notice it's longer than the ejector housing.

Shep

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
That is an interesting Bearcat, a pinto! It has a stainless trigger as well as hammer and barrel. Never seen that combination before on any Ruger. Ruger is using stainless hammers and triggers on all single actions now. Does it have the new 4 1/4" barrel made for the Canadian market since they have a minimum legal length of 4" barrels? I notice it's longer than the ejector housing.

I`ve seen Pinto S&Ws around now and then, but never saw a Bearcat like this one.
Did see a couple of the new ShopKeeper Bearcats at a local shop last week.
Don`t know about the barrel length. You would have to ask the guy who owns it.
If you leave a comment on his video, he will be notifed of it.

Shep

Single-Sixer
gramps said:
That bearcat disappears in his hands! Let me see he has had it apart twice, and when he finishes the video he is going to take it apart to clean it again, and it has never been fired! Talk about OCD! Nice looking gun though. Hope he doesn't scratch it cleaning it. :mrgreen:
gramps

The guy has several interesting guns that you don`t see very often.
A while back he had a few videos up of a Star model I. 1st one of those I had seen in a very long time.

My guess on this is it is a factory second or factory blemish....that is how Ruger would refer to it, perhaps a one off sample for a possible distributor exclusive. Ruger has been selling these guns directly to Cabelas as of late. Would be helpful to see the label on the plastic case as that would determine a lot regarding model # and factory stamping.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
It might just be my eyes but the WRM looks kind of rough and located between 3 & 5 o'clock on the barrel.
Would like to see that label too!
Interesting little cat.
Terry

Shep

Single-Sixer
T.A. WORKMAN said:
It might just be my eyes but the WRM looks kind of rough and located between 3 & 5 o'clock on the barrel.
Would like to see that label too!
Interesting little cat.
Terry

You will have to ask the guy who posted the video. If you leave a comment on the video, he will be notified of it.

Looking at the markings on the barrel of my stainless and the one pictured. I noticed that the 'billboard' seems to be a bit 'higher' on his than on mine. Mine seems to be a bit more 'underneath' the barrel than the pictured one.

Megzamani

Bearcat
Hello
I will make a better video and also showing the box top and bottom
the spent case date says September. 5 2013
I read the comments. I need to see why my YouTube is not sending me entries on this
thank you
yes ocd I wanted to frog lube it all over and stuff
I have not fired it and will hold off if it's rare or a one of a kind or something special
The guy looked at cabelas and assured me it came direct from ruger to corporate cabellas and was new unfired i did find some .22 but i held off on playing

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Megzamani,
Welcome to the forum! Your Bearcat is very interesting to say the least. If you go to the Collecting section you will find instructions on how to get a letter from Ruger on your gun, costs $10.00. That will be the telling factor as to collectability in my opinion.
Could you just tell us what the end label say's?

When I looked at it again I noted the SS barrel & EJRH but seen that the front sight is blue, all stainless Bearcat barrels I've seen the front sight is SS.
Neat gun,
Terry

Megzamani

Bearcat
OK Guys I have it on phone call with ruger on 01062013 and 01072013.
Here is the scoop.... drum roll please

very very very rare... Less then 10 were made by mistake. Super great news to here. A one of a ten.

ok heres the whole story.

Once upon a time the ruger bearcat had three different variants in manufacturing as of recent. Mine was made 09052013.

scene

1 The blue bearcat was blued and the blue did not take resulting in a messy color or splotchy. These were still sold. These come up every once in a while and sold as blems.

2 A stainless one was blued by mistake and it discolored the pistol making it a funny brownish color. These come up once in a while also.

3 which is what mine is.
The parts for the barrel and ejector and hammer and trigger group were assigned to the assembly line by mistake. They stopped the production line but a few were made. This is where it gets really great. Ruger told me that they would not email me the exact number. I was told that just a very very few of these were made with the stainless parts. in fact they said less than ten had made it all the way to the finished line. These looked so cool they decided not to destroy these and allow them to go out.
I love it the story gets better.

They only make blue ones or stainless ones so they did not have a section to put these in, not blue and not stainless. So they marked them as blems.
When I spoke to ruger today i let him know there were no mars, blems, dings, dents or nothing and was absolutely as perfect as you would expect.

so the question is. how much could this be worth for a one of a ten? gentlemen any thoughts.

I will get images still as I promised.

thank all of you for assisting me in how to know more about what I knew little about.

thanks Megzamani

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Megzamani,

Welcome to the forum. And congrats on your find and the good sense to grab it.

First question, have you gone back to Cabelas and asked if there are any more in their inventory or at other Cabela stores?

Second, did you request a letter of authenticity from Ruger yet? It's only $10. These rare ones would be too easy to fake with just a barrel, stainless front sight changed to blue like yours, and ejector parts.

As you would expect anything made in a volume less to ten can get very pricey. How pricey remains to be seen and we'll only know once one sells on the collector market.

Megzamani

Bearcat
Ok ruger forum persons.
Now the question is how much is it worth. I read someone said it would be a cool auction piece. Well that sounds interesting in a way. I could then use the funding to get me a birthday item as this one should not be fired now that I found out it is a one of ten or less.
When i found out I went up to cabelas gun library and did a search to see if they might have another one listed. I was thinking finding another one serial up or down in a way. Or getting one to keep and one to shoot. Either way, anyone has ideas on value. I have only been shooting three years so all I know is new retail and used pawnshop local. No collection value as i do not have anything very long to value up or even get back my initial investment.
It would be something to be worth several thousand just because the very low count.
The ruger person called and left me a voice message and he said I can tell you there were ten or less of these made. But WOULD not tell me exactly how many. But ten or less is a good enough count for me. Heck even 500 or less would be a cool number count.
There are three variants of these that happen once in a while he said, but the stainless barrel on the blue frame is the rarest of them all.
These are in order of probability of happening.
Blue pistols that the blue does not take very well resulting in mottled pistols. this happens not a lot but the most of any. The metal just does not take color.

Stainless pistols dipped for blue by mistake resulting in discolor pistols. This happens once in a while but not very often where they dip the stainless ones by mistake.

Blue pistols with a stainless barrel. The barrels were loaded for assembly a few of them and then put together. The assembly line was stopped and the stainless barrels that were waiting in line to be put on were replaced with correct blue ones. This was noticed after a few had been put together. hence the third rarest of all assembly.

Soo with all my ramblings. What does the group think.
I am hinging on selling it to buy a pistol again that I only had 22 hours before it blew up which was a 1995 browning hi power mark iii that I got on saturday afternoon and then sunday at lunch there was a squib and then a second round.
I am lucky to be able to type this rambling as it blew up. What made it special was it was the more rare .40sw and was in 98 percent shape.
Ok, anwyays. ideas, thoughts.

If someone can tell me how to get images up here or i can email you the images to put up for me, please do.
Thanks
mark

Oh and I guess there is a fourth variant a stainless frame and a blue barrel...

I would invest $10.00 and get the letter from Ruger varifying that this gun came out of the factory exactly as configured currently...(if they will do that which may be unlikely). Then put it on Gunbroker with a one penny starting price and let the feeding frenzy commence.....

If you are not a collector that is...

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Mark,
Let me try to help you if I can, remember these are MY opinions and are worth what they cost you, :) :wink: .

"Your gun is worth what ever someone is willing to pay you" (Jack Coogs) no way around that! :wink:

There are several Major Bearcat Collectors on the forum, and I'm sure you will hear from them should you entertain selling it. As NH Rugerman stated above an auction would be the true test, could very well surprise you! 8) As Rugerguy says "Run her up the flag pole, and see who salutes" :wink:

You have to ask yourself....what's it worth to YOU!...... If it was MY gun I would keep it as a Safe Queen, if I collected Bearcats I would think that the gun deserves a 100% premium, in other words double what you paid. Remember that's just my opinion,, You in the end have to make the call :wink: .

Remember every time you take that base pin & cylinder out you risk scratching something! :wink: I know.. :( !

Best of luck to you
Terry

NZshooter

Bearcat
Un freakin believable. I'm surprised Ruger didn't offer ...or DEMAND... to buy it from you. Heard of that happening when a one in a million odd ball gets out of the factory. I can't believe a Cabelas employee didn't buy it!!

Unless someone offers you an insane amout of money, I'd keep it, at least a few years. Put it in a Z-Corr bag then in a safety deposit box.

Did you buy a lotto ticket that day too?

Latest posts