Pawn shop finds yesterday…Updated! Got it!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seems like every several weeks I stop by a somewhat local pawn shop just to see what I don't need and can't afford… last time it was a 1906 octagon barrel Winchester. I really went back yesterday to see if it was still there, convinced that if it was I'd buy it. It was gone, but there was an OM Super Blackhawk. Early 1969 80-0xxx serial. Unfortunately it had been refinished and looked like it. $699 asking price. I didn't ask. There was also a NM .44 Special flat top with a 4 5/8" barrel. Asking $750. I was interested but not enough to see what I could get it for. Now, today I'm wondering if I need to go back…

On a positive note I found that 2 guns that I sold last year are now selling for less new than I got for them used. One was a HK VP9, the other a Ruger American 6.5 CM. It's nice to know I actually sold at the right time…

So… do I go back and get the .44?

Brant

Bearcat
I don't know that you would find one less than that anymore. You should at least see what you could get it for. That is my favorite gun, period. I have more than a few and have gifted several more. If you don't have at least one, you really should.
Brant

contender

Ruger Guru
"On the other hand, I don't believe that the OM .44 flat top came with the 4 5/8" barrel. So, I'd have to find an OM and cut the barrel. That seems like a sacrilege. Maybe I should buy that NM to play with, and keep my eye open for an appropriate OM to add to my small collection ."

No,, the OM FT in .44 didn't come with a 4-5/8" barrel. Only 6-1/2", 7-1/2", and 10".

And yes,, to many of us,, cutting up an OM FT would be sacrilege.

I'd go back & see about haggling on that NM 44 Spl.

maxfam

Bearcat
The flattops were a Lipseys product. 11 different flattops, 357/9mm, 44 special and 45 Colt/ACP, blue and stainless.

Attachments

• IMG_7255.jpeg
    IMG_7255.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 49
Yep. Today was the day. I got there before lunch and thought it was gone- but it was just moved. The manager ( whom I overheard was just promoted this morning) came over, and I looked it over. Hardly any wear, just a little bluing loss on the end of the ERH. Other than that, perfect. Looked like it had under 50 rds through it. I asked about a box and paperwork- unfortunately none. So, I asked what the best he could do was. I was expecting maybe $700… but he offered $600 out the door. SOLD! The background check even approved instantly so no waiting. I guess it was meant to be.

Got her home and cleaned her up. Hardly took any effort. Plans? While I really like the feel of the fully checkered grips, the XR3 grip frame just doesn't fit my big ol hands. I've got an aluminum Super Blackhawk +.300 grip frame on order from Ronnie Wells. Once it comes in it will go on here, along with a Super hammer. Should be nice and light, an easy carry piece. I'll probably replace the free spin pawl with a Power Custom unit too. And a lighter trigger spring and a RW 2Dogs rear sight. And start stocking up on .44 SPL.

IMG_8862.jpeg
IMG_8863.jpeg

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on getting it.

But I always prefer to try a gun out as it is,, prior to trying to "fix" anything.

Speaking of .44 Spl.,,, I had a call from our friend "callshot" today. And part of our conversation was about someone getting some "Callshot .44 Spl" brass. en he texted me a picture of some of the prototype brass & some of the Starline production brass. I treasure my Callshot brass,, and the picture was just icing on the cake.

BTW; if you don't know who "callshot" is,,, do a search. He's one heck of a SUPER good person,, who enjoys a good sense of humor.

Kudos on getting it.

But I always prefer to try a gun out as it is,, prior to trying to "fix" anything.

Speaking of .44 Spl.,,, I had a call from our friend "callshot" today. And part of our conversation was about someone getting some "Callshot .44 Spl" brass. en he texted me a picture of some of the prototype brass & some of the Starline production brass. I treasure my Callshot brass,, and the picture was just icing on the cake.

BTW; if you don't know who "callshot" is,,, do a search. He's one heck of a SUPER good person,, who enjoys a good sense of humor.
Thanks, Contender. I'd just about talked myself out of it on the drive down…but I couldn't pass it up for $600.

I will definitely put some lead down range before doing any modifying. I'm an old hot-rodder at heart, so modifying my stuff to fit my preferences is my MO. That's why the NM was attractive. I'd feel wrong doing that to an OM.

I'll look up callshot!

If the 44 Special Flattop price is for a stainless Talo model that's a good price. If its just the standard blued price is ok but nothing great.
My blue .44 spl NM ft shoots very close to as small a groups as a custom barreled, line bored Clements Custom 7.5, and the new model flat top is a 4 5/8. Both have Bowen rear sights. I'm talking repeatable 50 yard iron sight groups sandbags of 1,5 to 2.0 inches. 15.0 gr of 2400 or 6.0 Unique.
Both are tight, good throats, triggers and forcing cones which is what you need. Buy that NM.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
>>SNIP>>
So, I asked what the best he could do was.
I found that your request is the best way to get a feel for any owner's best price, no insult can be taken from it.

But OTOH, making any offer in dollars has an even chance of getting a zero discount.

I like your style, congrats!

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
My blue .44 spl NM ft shoots very close to as small a groups as a custom barreled, line bored Clements Custom 7.5, and the new model flat top is a 4 5/8. Both have Bowen rear sights. I'm talking repeatable 50 yard iron sight groups sandbags of 1,5 to 2.0 inches. 15.0 gr of 2400 or 6.0 Unique.
Both are tight, good throats, triggers and forcing cones which is what you need. Buy that NM.
The blued 44 Flattops are great too. But the stainless hold higher values because they were limited to 1000 for Talo. Blued became cataloged items so many more and thus less valuable. Bisley models and Vaqueros are a different story.

Latest posts