Gun show finds,,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Folks lament a lot about how gun shows have degenerated over the years. From selling all kinds of junk that has nothing to do with firearms,, to over-priced stuff,,, to nothing but black, plastic, tactical for the spec op wannabe's.
I can usually agree.
Too many promoters have allowed flea marketers to put up a table of cheap jewelry, or hemp oil salve, or other things that do not have a connection to firearms.
Then there are the gun shops,, who use the gun show to try & sell their NIB new inventory guns at inflated prices.
Or the guys who are wannabe gun dealers,, who buy up hard to find stuff,,like .22 ammo, other ammo, primers or whatever at fair prices,, then jack the price to stupid levels.
Once again, I agree that it has degenerated the true old timey gun shows where folks would bring out their old, odd, unusual, or whatever guns & related items to swap & sell.

But,, they can still be a good place to spend a Saturday,, wandering around,, looking at the assorted stuff out for sale. And if you take your time,, looking closely,,, you'll usually find a selection of true gun show vendors. Guys that enjoy the hobby. Guys that buy stuff,, say from an estate, or auction, or even get "grandpa's guns & stuff, because grandma wanted them gone" etc. Or the only occasional gun show vendor who accumulates all sorts of stuff he no longer needs & wants to sell it to clean up his personal gun stuff.

These are the vendors I enjoy seeking out.

Yesterday,, a buddy of mine had been planning on us attending a nearby gun show. So,, we went. He was looking for a few sets of used, fairly priced reloading dies, (some for a Dillon SDB, & some RCBS,) as well as anything that struck his fancy. I didn't have anything I was truly looking for,, except maybe a S&W M57 in 6" at a shooter price. I didn't expect to find one,, but you never know.
And of course,, the occasional hidden Ruger treasure.

Well, we know a local guy who has a couple of tables full of all kinds of odds & ends,, mostly associated with reloading. My buddy has purchased (2) Dillon SDB's from this gentleman,, and I've bought a few things,, myself over the years. Well, Danny scored a like new, in the actual box,, SDB,, and (1) set of RCBS dies he was seeking. Throw in a partial box of Hornady .41 mag bullets,,, and a couple of RCBS tool handles for brushes & such, all for a grand total of $302.00.
Good vendor, and a fair deal all around for Danny.
As we continued to wander,, I spied a vendor,, kinda out of the way,, against the wall in an odd area. who, had several handguns in a couple of cases. The fact that 6 of them were SA handguns,, of which, 4 were Rugers, got my attention. Especially since I saw a worn, but obvious OM black eagle grip. I casually eased over to the table. Upon inspection, I discovered a non-prefix OM .357 Blackhawk hiding under that worn eagle,,a NM .357/9mm convertible, an OM 20-prefix .22 Single-Six,, and a rubber baby bumper gripped OM, .45 Colt, short bbl. With a calm study of the .22 & .357,,, casually glancing at the price tags,, my hopes were lifted when I picked up the .45. The .357 showed use & wear,, while the .22 was in better shape,, but it too had some flaws. Yet,, the .45 was in very good condition,, especially since I expected to see more wear due to the rubber baby bumper grips. (For those who don't understand,, I stole that grip description from FlatGate.) :D
With full knowledge that OM .45's were made in lower numbers than the OM .44 Flattops,, and how desirable they are,, I was a bit hesitant to look at the price tag. But just like the others,, it was actually very reasonably priced when all was considered. Enough so,, that with a bit of discussion,, I added it to my stable of OM .45's. After I purchased it,, the vendor mentioned he'd had a Ruger .45 short barrel, convertible he'd sold the evening before to another dealer. That dealer is a good friend of mine,, and a member here. I quietly cussed a bit under my breath. Then I went to see my friend/dealer. A big sigh of relief when I discovered the convertible was a NM, but pre-warning. He had it under his table, not out for sale.

My point to this long-winded post is that while many gun shows have seriously degenerated in quality,, and too many of them are no longer what they used to be,, you can still find deals if you are careful, look closely, and have a bit of cash to play with to bring home the goodies. I'm not going to share what I paid,, because,, well, I might get arrested for potential stealing of something. :D It was a very good deal,, and one that any Ruger fan of OM's would have been stupid to pass up.

As rugerguy likes to so often say; "The deals are still out there!"

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Local gun shows have become too much of a bother to attend. Only thing I've seen "recently" was a USMC 1909 45 Colt New Service in only shooter condition. Kinda wanted to complete my series of 1902 Colt Philippine, 1917 Colt and 1917 S & W, along with a British Victory S 7 W, a 1911 (19118) and a 1911A1 (1943 Iwo Jima bring back). He wanted too much for it, so I passed.

I've sold everything now but regret selling the 1917 S & W and the 1911s.

Oh, I did (maybe 10 or 15 years ago) find a nice 4 5/8 41 Mag 3-screw for my wife to carry in bear country.

yes generally disappointing but as you found every once in while a deal, our last show I had wondered around and didn't see anything, so I stopped at a buddy's booth and said no luck when my Buddy said hey there is a guy walking around trying to sell a 4' S&W, what did he look like but just like that he showed up with a really great condition 66-2 and a deal was done.

I think if you go to a gun show just looking for one specific thing, it's worse than a crap shoot: even if you're lucky enough to find that one thing sitting on a table, it might have a price tag that makes the lotto jackpot look like small change. But if you just go for general entertainment purposes, you might find something staring you in the face that gets you reaching for your wallet. (As you might have guessed, I learned the above from my good friend Captain Obvious! ;^)

So I try to go to gun shows, just for fun, and often end up bringing something home.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Don Lovel

Hunter
Tulsa Gun shows at Fairgrounds IPE Bldg in 1981-82 time frame was a bunch of fun.
Bring some trade fodder in a small backpack, $500 in cash, take my time enjoying meeting old guys and see just how good my luck finding deals was by time to leave.
KCMO one show I met an old man with a table full of Johnson rifles and parts. Turns out he was a Navy Machinist in WWII who was a Marine Corps armorer working on assault carrier Belleau Wood weapons shop in Pacific. My Uncle flew off the BW at Okinawa and got Navy Cross.
This old guy worked mostly on aircraft machine guns but learned to work on Johnson rifles.
Fun time talking to him.

My Last Tulsa gun show couple years ago was a disappointment

I used to go to gun shows, but these days just haven't I think because the last gun show I tried to go to, the parking lot was absolutely, positively completly full. They had an overflow parking lot about 1/2 mile away. I just kept on driving.

I guess I should go, the gunstores around here pretty much all have the same stuff, nothing really different or exciting.

jspick

Bearcat
I found a pair of Stainless Ruger Vaqueros in 44 mag yesterday at a gun show. All I need now is new front sight blades. They are in very good condition and other than the front sights being filed down for CASS they are really nice. BUT I must say This gun show and the one in two weeks about 3 hours the other way are the two best gun shows I go to. The guys there are gun guys and have lots of wood and blued steel guns. Lots of good stuff to buy.
Most of the rest of the shows in my area are black plastic stuff. Where I used to live before I retired the gun show was good 20 to 30 years ago but it is all black plastic stuff now.

Contender, as Laura always use to say ," it is incumbant to find at least ONE gem in any given gun show,",,you gotta look, ...and as for the terminology it is "rubber baby buggy bumpers" we called them that since Pachmayr came out with them many , many years ago, use to put them on the PD guns, off came the wood grips, that always wore down on the outside, right grip panel, from over coasts , seat belts, etc., while on duty, can always tell a "duty" carried, gun, by the wear of the wooden grip panels, ONE side, or if a lefty, the other side,,,,, then off course the holster wear on the cyl and barrel ,muzzle end, sides.........:rolleyes:
we usually find some good stuff at the gun shows but for the MOST part, it comes to us.........now days , other dealers jump on these Ruger guns coming in the door, before they get to me,,,oh well,,,,something about a "bear"........:unsure:;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok Dan,, I forgot the "buggy" word. Funny, I thought I'd included it. I bet Carl was chuckling in Ruger Heaven.

I really think it's all in the attitude,, when it comes to attending a gun show. I went yesterday, w/o any real need or want. But I'm also aware that if I'm slow & careful,, in looking at the odds & ends,, I can often find a few gems. Not always a gun,, but other little things that fill a spot I'm looking to fill.

You just have to be careful & patient.

Besides,, just think of all the anti-gun folks who dislike gun shows. By having good crowds,, and lots of people attending them,, has to give them ulcers.

It's been a few years for me as well. I've kinda almost reached that point where I don't really NEED anything. I'll occasionally make the trip across the bridge to a Virginia Show looking for the odd mag or something. My recent penchant for optics has fueled a few online purchases. Gun shows like car and Motorcycle shows can be a great way to spend a day being around guns and gun people and you never know when you'll run across something you absolutely must have!!!

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I am about to turn 70 and have enjoyed going to shows mostly with my wife over the years. She is a very good spotter, I tell/show her what I am looking for and she can scour one side while I get the other when we go to Tulsa. I have about given up on the regular ones I have in Nebraska and central Kansas where I live and will make a pilgrimage to Tulsa for the first time during the fall show this November. Reservations are made and we have found the places we like to eat and make it a fun trip besides wearing ourselves out by walking. I did notice that they finally raised the fee to $15. I like to find the bargains and also the unusual but I am at the point where I just don't "need" any more firearms so I hope to find some odd and interesting things.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Nowadays a gun show for me has more entertainment value than an expectation of finding a treasure among all of the plastic pistols and AR stuff. On rare occasion that I do find a jewel, the gun shows are still worthwhile unless the promoter / host city has taken to gouge attendees. As an example, The Miami Expo show requires a tedious drive through traffic for most, tolls and added to that a parking fee and inflated door entry fee. So that location has been eliminated from my must see shows.

What I do miss are the Elks, FOP lodge etc., National guard Armory, and assorted theater, and other club shows that are either non existent or where serious collector / individual sellers have been pushed out by urban warfare sellers and / or overzealous municipality elected "leaders" who no longer allow gun shows.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
I miss the old shows at the Dallas Convention Center and Market Hall in Dallas. A change in the political winds killed the Convention Center when they outlawed gun and ammo sales in city-owned buildings. They had tried to shut down Market Hall for years but after parking lot shootouts in recent years finally killed that one off too. It is fun to sit and watch a table and count the number of straw man purchases that happen but that's a topic for another thread one day. ;)

If you hit the smaller shows you can still find some oddities in the smaller more rural shows. Not so much black plastic but lots of wood and steel.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
The ones here are far too few the past decade or so and when they are here they're way too packed to get through the masses. I don't even bother going anymore. I buy online, CMP, word of mouth, friends selling and two local shops I like.
I might miss out on a gem once in a great while but most stuff is overpriced and nothing special and not worth the effort.

....well the main thing we have found over the years, as to the gun 'shows' you may see,find ,even get to handle, maybe even buy, "stuff"...accessories, boxes ,grips, etc., paperwork, you do not see at any given gun shop,,,I remember they often did not even give the customers the entire "packaging" that the gun may have been shipped in, and all tooo often the customers may not even take or want the box, when they put the gun in a holster or put on oversized grips or an optic,,,they "toss" the packaging, that how I started back in the 1960s picking up the boxes out of the scrap barrels at the ends of the armory, they tossed it .........I've picked up hundreds of boxes over the years since then,,,too bad they stopped the armory shows here in OHio, some "demoncrat" gov or whomever changed that years ago...sadly.....loved it when the shows were Mom and Pop and NOT the "Ohio Gun Dealers" united, 10 to 20 tables of black plastic....
old timers cleaning out the garage, or their shop, selling "stuff"........:(

That is why we check out gun shows when we know of them taking place. Never can tell what may turn up. There are a few of the locals that have good collections and likely to show. We have bought from one of those that has a small shop now and used to have a bigger one for decades. He typically has something for any taste.

Latest posts