Is it safe to fire .38 rounds out of a .357, or will it damage the revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varminter22

Single-Sixer
You need to get your terminology correct or don't handle firearms.
Or post online.
Great first post for an apparent clown.
Shaking my head…..
I agree. Terminology is important.

The .357 and the .38 Spec and the .38 Long Colt and the .38 Short Colt all shoot bullets of the SAME diameter!

Now you have to remember that I am a SASS shooter so accuracy isn't my thing.
Speed is life :) But isn't one of the most accurate 38 rounds a hollow base wadcutter that has to go a long way to the barrel???? ;) ;)
The whole bullet as you know is completely inserted in the case. The weight is 147 gr so the overall length is at least 1 1/2 the diameter. that said, a lot of the bullet is still in the case when the nose of the bullet reaches the cylinder face or even the barrel rifling lead. Recently a customer had a wadcutter stuck in the rifling lead thus locking the revolver (cal 38 sp) up. Knocking the bullet back into the case surprised me how far I had to knock it back into the case to free up the cylinder.

s4s4u

Hunter
"Thinking The Hobby Gunsmith missed the "revolver" detail. Everything has a jump to the rifling in a revolver."

"As posted above, he may have been thinking rifle rather than revolver."

I don't think so. If you read what he wrote, it includes the word "revolver" three times.

Well, so much for coming to the defense. Makes me also go "huh"?

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
You need to get your terminology correct or don't handle firearms.
Or post online.
Great first post for an apparent clown.
Shaking my head…..
"or don't handle firearms" ???
stripes-francis-francis.gif

I see absolutely nothing wrong with saying "you can shoot a 38cal bullet in a 357 gun" especially for your very first post. We all know what he's talking about.

I know you or someone else will jump in saying "words matter". Yes, but not when we all know exactly what was meant. This seems like a trivial, pedantic tirade.

It would have been a completely different matter if a someone new to the site would have said something like "I have a machine gun". Such a statement would cause confusion is some of us, doubt in many more and excitement in the rest of us. As firearms enthusiast we all know it's very possible to own a fully automatic machine gun but we rarely encounter it on this forum. Questions would certainly follow and when it was found out to actually be a semi-automatic rifle we would all understandably be frustrated by the misuse of terms. One term was used that legitimately means something different than stated.

In this case the incorrect term caused no confusion. There's no need to berate the new forum member.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
Dave,

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Example:
You know, the .218 Bee is the only cartridge I am aware of with the Bee designation. All others are cutesy nicknames.

.300 WBY VS .300 Bee? There are are so many cartridge variations that BEE vs WBY is a stupid shortening of a cartridge name. Three keystrokes and one has to change a NAME (Weatherby) to BEE? You will never find cartridge brass stamped .300 BEE.
Use the correct nomenclature. I don't need to guess what one is talking about, nor, likely, do you. Use the correct terminology.

Are you okay with a guy relating his loading practices and recommended loads with no discrimination between powder manufacturer and load data.
Unapologetically, I am not.
Are IMR 4530 and H4350 and Accurate 4350 the same powder ?

44 grains one of one of those powders might be acceptable pressure in a certain cartridge (NOT "bullet") while 44 grains of the other two might result in the destruction of the firearm and injury to the shooter in the same cartridge.

I stand by my adherence to safe reloading practices. The original poster needs to get his nomenclature correct. I learned. So can he if he wants to get involved in this endeavor.

Old guys taught me and now I am one. I thank them. I still have both eyes and all of my fingers.

If one goes into a retail store and is looking for .300 Magnum ammo should the clerk have to ask you if you want .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .300 Remington Short Ultra Magnum, .300 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, .300 Weatherby (NOT BEE) Magnum, or .300 Remington Ultra Magnum?

Or should you have your industry nomenclature straight in your mind so you get the right ammo for your rifle?

The new guy needs to learn. No mercy here. This is adult stuff and he can get into it, if he studies. He is definitely not there yet.

I was young and got scolded. It made me learn my business.

No disrespect to you.

John

Last edited:

Chief

Single-Sixer
i think what Hobby Gunsmith was trying to get at was that the bullet from a 38 spl cartridge has to travel farther to reach the forcing cone.
Some believe this degrades accuracy a bit. I have not found this to be generally true.

contender

Ruger Guru
Dave,, I'd like to politely disagree with the thinking that "we all know exactly what was meant" portion of your comment.

"I know you or someone else will jump in saying "words matter". Yes, but not when we all know exactly what was meant. This seems like a trivial, pedantic tirade."

Dave,, new folks who post are not the only ones who read things here.

Other new folks may read incorrect terminology and think it's "correct." People come here to learn as well as other reasons. Yes,, experienced gun types may well know what was meant,, but other new gun owners may not.
As an instructor of various subjects most of my life,, using correct terminology to students was something I'd strive to do always. If I use incorrect terms,, and later on the student learns the correct term for something,, I just lost credibility.

I bring this us for a reason.

Miss Penny & I have been teaching a lot of ladies shooting classes for a few decades. Miss Penny understands that a lot of chauvinistic men think women are stupid, or shouldn't fool with firearms. All it takes is for a lady we taught to use an incorrect term, and those types of men immediately dismiss the woman as being stupid. While we all may like to think we are above that,, we can also look around us & see exactly that type of person.

I like to think of this Forum as an ambassador for people who want more knowledge about Rugers. And I want us here to be respected. So, while the majority of us here who are well versed in gun terminology,, and may well understand the comments or questions,, politely correcting things,, is a good thing.

Or look at it like this; Anti-gun people do or say stupid things all the time when it comes to firearms. We've all seen it AND ridiculed these politicians or media types right here for their stupidity. Do we want to look as stupid as they are? We do want to look like the polite & well educated types that prove them wrong.

Rclark

Hunter
In all disciplines, words matter. Whether talking about guns or engineering, chemistry, computer science, rebuilding engines, etc. We don't say give me that 'round thingy' when talking about a capacitor, or was that a resistor?.... Or saying bullet when you mean cartridge. Two different things... or clip vs magazine -- no matter what the movies call 'em. None of us are perfect, but we can all learn :) .

However, you can correct/teach/mentor someone without being a douchebag about it. It takes very little effort, and the end result is that both parties walk away with a positive experience & the entire 2A community benefits.

Looking at that exchange, it just looks like a typical keyboard commando trying to make himself look better than everyone else with his "vast knowledge" of firearms. "Holier than thou" types are blowhards.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
Respectfully ...

Are you okay with a guy relating his loading practices and recommended loads with no discrimination between powder manufacturer and load data.
No no no, that's not at all what was said.

This is what was said. This is a whole other issue, using the word bullet when he meant cartridge.
Yes you can shoot a 38cal bullet in a 357 gun👊🤡👍 but you can not shoot a 357 bullet in a 38gun

Yes people should know the difference between a bullet and a cartridge but this is not nearly as bad as being vague about what powder to use.
My main point is that many times the correct word is crucial but not in this case. In this case using the word bullet instead of cartridge is wrong but it doesn't really matter.

As you said, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I had just poured a couple fingers of bourbon and sat down to read this thread......I wasn't half way through and got up to add another finger as it was becoming quite the show.....then bam post #52 was the end.....like a very entertaining show that ends without an ending. LOL

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 convertible, with the interchangeable cylinder I can shoot 9mm so three rounds out of the same barrel, you can look up the bullet sizes. I have never used the 9mm cylinder yet, but nice to have it.

SteveSt

Bearcat
The majority of the shells out of my 357 revolvers are 38 specials. I save the 357s for real work, like that happens very often, and save the money to buy more ammo... I do clean the cylinders a little extra when I do clean my revolvers.

Latest posts