"Project P-89"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Well I picked up this $45 P-89 Yesterday..
I've taken it down to the bare frame three times & reassembled..
It's trigger has some problem & won't return forward fully & the slide has trouble racking & gets stuck??
I think maybe the trigger bar is bent some?? Also were the trigger rides in the aluminum frame there's LOTS of wear & it wobbles around & that could also be the problem..
This is a 1993 Law Enforcement 305 Prefix P-89 & has maybe 10% of it's finish left but is complete except for the $9 UM Grips which I installed..
I've got $54 in this pile of parts so far..
Thumbs are sore from tinkering with it..
The Sear & Ejector springs are a bit of a pain to install as is the left side magazine release..
I've got a complete $90 parts kit coming & will install all the new parts & report back as soon as they get here..
Hopefully there is some hope for this project yet..

"Project P-89"
junkp89i.jpg

junkp89ii.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Wear were trigger sits in frame
worntriggerareap89.jpg

Stripped Frame RH
strippedframerhp89.jpg

Stripped Frame LH
strippedframelhp89.jpg

I've been looking into some type of Dura-Coat or Aluma-Hide Finish..
Here's the link to Brownell's Uluma-Hide II that list two Ruger Grey finishes in Matte or Gloss..
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II
There's a gunshow this weekend & maybe they'll be some other coating available??
What say the out in Ruger Land..
The Matte Ruger Grey sounds Good BUT??

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
I would think to make it the best it can be, for the cheapest, I would
Park it.
That would be an interesting gun.
Duracoat, Cerahide, all those are functional, but something about a 89
completely parkerized.... that would get attention. :)

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The Parts Kit I have coming has a newer blued slide & all the other parts..
I was thinking a Two Tone & doing the frame in the Ruger Grey or something similar, I was hoping the parts would come today But Nothing..
I also notice the earlier guns have the titty on the end of the recoil rod & a different barrel link than the newest style which is flat..Hmmm??
I hope I can fix it up but it just may be a expensive paper weight..
The play in the trigger is my major problem, it lets the trigger bar move up & come up higher than the the return spring plunger & that locks up the action, could also be the trigger bar is warped??
There might be a way I can shim the trigger or even weld the frame??
Might have to send it to Ruger & have them replace the frame??
I also have a $15 P95 Trigger coming too..
Would also like to have a set of the Hogue Finger Grooved grips if someone wants to trade them for the Uncle Mikes..

Here's a Picture of the Parts Kit that's in the Mail..
$90 Parts Kit from Gunbroker 100% complete except grips & screws
p89partskit.jpg

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
"I also notice the earlier guns have the titty on the end of the recoil rod..."

Looks more like just the nipple to me. :D

BTW that parts kit seems to include quite a bit for only $90.00. Good deal.

Kenny

Flash

Buckeye
Hey Gary, I can trade you for the Uncle Mikes panels. I have a set of finger grove Hogues if you want them.
I was afraid that those frames might be defective. Does the serial number reflect it being a P89 or a P85 MkII? LE guns are usually used pretty hard, especially those used for weapons training.
Just shoot me a PM with your address if you want the grips.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The serial # shows it to be a 1993 P89 by the Ruger List Found Here..
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#
It's a 305-
PM sent to you Flash, I'll trade you the Uncle Mike's for the Hogues..THANKS!!
"Still No Parts Kit" & No Answer to my Email from the Seller @ Gunbroker..
I sent a Postal Money order out Priority Mail to him Monday Morning??
I'll guess it will be here next week?? I Hope??
At least with a Postal Money Order you can charge them with Postal Fraud if they cash it & don't send the stuff..
I can tell that to fix the trouble it will need for the trigger to be a bit bigger on the two cams on the trigger..
Hopefully the two I have coming will fix it?? The lobes aren't worn, the frame is..I could also build up the lubes with silver solder or braze it & file it down with nedle files if I have to, Might end up sending the $45 P89 to Ruger but the S&H will be$45-$50 + $30 to return it..
They would replace the frame, "IF THEY STILL HAVE ONE AVAILABLE??"
Gary/bp

I put the refinish off till I get it ironed out..
Was gonna try Shooter's Suppy tomarrow to look for some Dura Coat or Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II but am gonna hold up, Thought about buying a Hogue Grip today at the gunshow but they didn't have any available..

I also note that the P85/P89/P90s need some skatebourd tape put on the slide in a couple of spot to assist racking the slide..

GhosT

Blackhawk
berettapistols,

Finding this thread VERY INTERESTING.
The first two pics...never seen a blued RUGER without bluing before... ;)

As I think the P series is Ruger's best...
I gotta agree with Kenny,when he said
"Very interesting project sir, please keep us updated."

looking forward to future posts.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I still think all the troubles are from a sloppy fitting trigger into the frame..
I know that the trigger is a factory fitted part but don't see anywere on it were the trigger has been filled or fitted?? It's a casting.. Could be that Ruger has different sizes available but only show "ONE" part number in their parts breakdown diagram..
If It gives me too much more trouble I'm gonna call & get another frame coming??
So far I've just got $54 sitting here but have $105 worth of parts coming..
Starting to think about shimming the frame or trigger with some shim stock & JB weld??

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
You can probably skip the shim stock and just try to get some JB Weld in there and then shape it once it dries with a knife or a dremel it so the trigger goes in properly and operates correctly. JB Weld is pretty sturdy stuff.

I doubt the trigger bar is bent. If it were, I think you'd be able to tell by looking at it.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I tried some shimstock it only being .002-.003" thick did nothing.
I have a couple of tubes of JB Weld sitting out now on a Paper Plate with a couple of popcycle sticks..
I still wanna get it working "Correctly" with a shim first so I'll know exactly..
Thinking about trying a buisness card that's about .025" thick.. to see how much I have to build it up.. Getting into were it would need to be trimmed with a small dremel burr would be very tough.. That's why they Investment Cast these frames..

worntriggerareap89.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Well I decided to try the JB Weld..
I stripped the frame.. Applied the JB Weld to the two areas & got it as close to what I need as possible..
I have the trigger guard clamped in a padded vise with a towel down in it & used the magazine to level it up inside the mag well..
Oh & my parts kit just now was delivered by The PostMan as I was downloading the pictures..
I've selected several small dremel metal burrs in different sized & shapes & also have an exacto knife to try an work the epoxy after it cures..
4-6 hours till you can touch it & it sets permanent in 15 hours, I'm not gonna touch it till noon tomorrow..
Looks better already!! We'll see..
I wonder how the JB Weld will hold up to me using some lube on that contact area?? Will use TW-25B..
Gary/BP

Stripped Frame
45p89.jpg

Applied JB Weld
jbweldp89.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Well I don't think the JB Weld is gonna stick very well..
I tried to clean it up some after 6-7 hours & it just peeled off easy..
I'm now looking toward a silver solder which should work fine..
Looking for some flux now in my stash of stuff..

I took a picture of the two slides side by side trying to show the older type with the "titty' & smaller link & the never style with the flat recoil rod end & bigger barrel link..
This parts kit came from a near mint P89 IMO..
I stripped the slide to clean the firing pin channel & clean up the safety switches etc.. It's Minty!! Nothing like the other one..

Ruger P-89 Slides
p89slidesi.jpg

p89slidesii.jpg

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
I hope the silver solder works out for you. I sure would like to see this pistol be resurrected without the need for a new frame. Something about taking a complete wreck and returning it to serviceable condition speaks to me. I envy your know how in being able to attempt a project like this. Carry on sir! :D

Kenny

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I went ahead and tried putting all the "NEW PARTS" in the frame for testing & it works like a new one, actually better than a new one, It has a great trigger pull & works in both DA & SA every time & now the trigger bar doesn't lift up too high & come off the return spring plunger, It had to be either the trigger bar or the trigger itself.. It has the play behind the trigger but works slick, I put some TW-25B a white gun grease that I came across years ago while working on SIG Sauers, on all the moving parts lightly..
After I was finished the magazine wouldn't drop free as it it did before so I first swapped the magazine spring & the two levers to the old parts & it still wouldn't drop free so I changed the Ejector to the Original & now it drops free as it should, The new ejector, shown in the picture "Left Over Parts" has a tab on the LH side of the frame that the original doesn't & it was dragging on the magazine.. The red line shows how the original looks.
I am now ready to try an find some Dura-Coat or Aluma-Hyde in the area to coat the frame with.. Still unsure of which color to go with?? Either Grey or Black.. I want to go with the Ruger Grey if I can find it or just go with the Black, Matters what I can find.. May have to order it as I'm not gonna pay big bucks to have someone else spray it for me..
Could maybe even be tempted by a OD Green or Sand Tan color??
I also need to score a couple decent P-18 magazines to complete the "Project P-89" before I attempt to take it to the range.. I've got a line on those from another member here too!!
Flash has first dibs on the Lanyard Mainspring Cap & UM Grips..
Looks like I've got quite a few extra parts to trade or try an sell..
The sear , trigger & trigger bar aren't for sale as I believe one of them to be Junk.. The sear appeared to have been stoned??
If anyone has a decent holster they'd like to trade for some parts give me an email, a couple blued P18 magazines & a magazine loader would be nice to complete the package.. [email protected]
Also I want to modify the RH magazine release lever to not rub my middle finger & cold blue afterward being I have an extra to try..
Gonna wait to see if the finger grooves of the Hogue Grip change this or maybe even make it worse??
I also have a Ruger P95 Trigger coming to modify to go into the Project..
A couple of pieces of skateboard tape for the slide may also be in order..

It's a work in progress but the P-89 Lives!!
Gary/bp

P-89 Left Over Parts
leftovers.jpg

$144 "Project P-89"
p89t.jpg

1993 "Special Edition" Two Tone Relic RARE!!
finishedp89.jpg

p89readyfortesting.jpg

Flash

Buckeye
Congratulations! I had really thought this was going to go south for you but I'm glad to hear it worked out. I take it that the spare parts that you have in the picture are up for grabs. If so, I'm interested in that magazine also. Again, so glad it worked out. Shoot me a pm about how you want to handle the lanyard post and the mag.
Flash

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The Parts are for sale or trade.. I need the ONLY Magazine..For Now!!
The UM Grips & Lanyard Mainspring Cap are Yours Flash!!
For now the UM grips are all I have..
I sure hope I can get you to send me a set of the Hogue Grips..
Can pick a set of them up locally for $20 + $4.95 USPS Freight.. BUT??
The P-Series Grips are getting Harder & Harder to find, at least Ruger Still makes the P-90 for Now..
"Project P-89" LIVES

Off to the Man Cave to widdle down the RH magazine relese lever & just leave a small amount sticking out rounded & smooth + polished & blued..

Also Last Night one of our Kittys Fredricka aka Freddy had her first Kittens, Looks like two of them for now..
We haven't named the kittens YET.. Sturm & Ruger..
Of Course my Wife Decides, You gotta sleep sometime..
Will try an get a picture of them Later on!!