"Project P-89"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
...the KCR Machine Gun Shoot yesterday whore me clean out...
Wow, that entry fee is kinda steep! :lol:

I'm looking forward to the range report of your pistol and see it rise completely from the ashes.

Kenny

berettapistols

Blackhawk
WOW!! "Wore"
You do have to donate $10 to Jr. Sumner's retirement fund in order to gain access to the KCR shoot & Gunshow..

It's still going on tomorrow & the prices @ The Gunshow sometimes will drop as they don't wanna have to haul all the stuff back home..

Now my only real deal with the Project P-89 is that the slide to frame fit is a bit loose but I'd guess it's got 50,000 rounds threw it..
The new slide has hardly zero wear on it & when I refinished I masked off the slide rails as I didn't want paint on these matting surfaces..

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Well when I get my two new magazines I'll be ready for the range sometime in the next few weeks..
I also took a hint from Coffee Pot & put thick white Lithium Grease on the slide rails & this really made the slide feel smooth & glide..
I cleaned up the sear & hammer the other day & went ahead & polished them both up with Flitz & Mother's & the Dremel Tool..
I also cut one coil off the old mainspring & dremeled the bottom flat with a cutt off tool..
The only visible mods are the P-95 Trigger, the cut magazine floorplate & the relieved right hand magazine release button.. Plus the Ceramic aluminum coating on the frame & the Hogue grips which I love, Thanks Flash..

"Special Edition" P-89TH - "Project P-89"
rp89thi.jpg

rp89thii.jpg

rp89thiii.jpg

NOTE: Cut Magazine Floorplate & Relieved RH Magazine Release Button
rp89thiv.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Hey here's a post in the auto area that's not about a SR9/SR40..
That seems to be all I see here anymore..

Well I got my two new LEO P18 Magazines from Al James & a Factory Magazine Loader that completed the package deal..
Thought I'd take a few pictures being I got new batteries for it today..
I also notice from my muzzle pic that there's some lint in the barrel, you can't see this with the naked eye..
Enjoy & Thanks again Al James for the deal on the discontinued magazines
Gary/bp

p89wnewmags.jpg

p89muzzle.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
It'll be a couple of weeks till I get a chance, maybe longer, as there's gunshows almost every weekend for a while..
BIG 2100 table show this Saturday & Sunday here in Louisville..
Maybe I'll find a few P89 goodies for the "Project P-89"
More magazines & a nice holster maybe?? Cheap!! HaHa!!

Range Report Due!!

Mike J

Hunter
I'm looking forward to the range report.

Where did you find the extra thick white lithium grease? What manufacturer was it made by?

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The White Lithium I have came from AutoZone several years ago..
It's in an 8oz squeeze tube & I applied it with a tooth pic to the areas that I want..
I did a google search & the package has changed, what I have contains Petrolium Oils were some that show a Bio Type..
The name brand is LubriMatic White Lithium Grease
Here's the Google Search pages
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS378&&sa=X&ei=Ldq3TKG8GsSAlAehoMCBDA&ved=0CBgQBSgA&q=LubriMatic+White+Lithium+Grease+8+oz&spell=1

It really stays were you put it & clings nicely..
I would have never tried it if Coffee Pot hadn't suggested it in an old post of his that I read..
He said that the anodizing is so hard on the aluminum P Series that it would wear the slide if not coated with white lithium grease..
Being He is the Ruger Master I will have to agree..

You should be able to find the white grease at any hardware store, automotive store or sears..

Mike J

Hunter
Thx-I remembered him posting about using grease but I did not remember the white lithium part of it. I had tried a gun grease on my P series but it was too light & migrated through the whole gun.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Here's the exact words from Coffee Pot..
He states Moly or Lithium

"BY COFFEE POT"

The 'P' series aluminum frames have a Mil-Spec sulfuric acid hard-coat finish. It's basically the same stuff that is used on the M-16. It has a hardness of approximately Rc65. It's a combination of both penetration and buildup. It is considered an Anodic coating. Along with other compounds, it contains aluminum oxide which is what many grinding wheels are made of. That frame finish is actually harder than the slide. It is not smooth and very abrasive, so adequate lube on the slide rails is nessesary to prevent wear and galling of the slide. A drop of oil won't cut it. Use a grease instead. Moly and Lithium greases are good as well as some others intended for high loading usage.

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
Berettapistols-
All right my friend, I know that you're gonna be busy for a while yet, and I really have tried to be patient, but we have to have a range report on the Resurrected Ruger! I'm sorry, but it can't be delayed any longer sir, it's the law. Shoot the dang thing already! :lol:

Inquiring minds have a real need to know. :D

Kenny

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I understand fellas..
I wanna shoot it worse than you do..
Was at a decent gunshow all day today & have a 9:00-3:00 there again tomarrow.. Range is closed Sunday anyhow..
Maybe next weekend?? Maybe?? We'll See!!
I did Pick up three KP18/15 new in the package for $20ea today plus a Pelican Case for a Infrared Lighted Scope of some type for $5.. Gonna make a sweet case for something, I've seen cases like this sell for over $100..
I've got six magazines now..
Gonna take my Buddies PC9 along for the P-89s range trip plus the 10/22 & MKII.. Rugers Rock!!
Gary

Three KP18/15 & Pelican Case
p1815x320ea.jpg

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
Good haul from the gun show Gary and a dang good price on the magazines. We're not trying to put any undue pressure on you about a range report on the Resurrected Ruger, but like I said, it's the law! :lol:
Best wishes sir.

Kenny

Mike J

Hunter
No pressure Gary but after seeing how you have resurrected this thing the question in my mind is "How will it shoot?"
Inquiring minds want to know. :) :)

berettapistols

Blackhawk
No Gunshows for the next few weeks till Black Friday..
I should be able to get to the range & take several different weight & name brand of 9mm para plus I also have some +P & +P+ and some sub gun ammo as well..
I'll try an get some targets If I don't end up shooting them to pieces with the other guns I'll be taking..
Happy Halloween!!
Gary

jiggerman78

Bearcat
Hey beretta,

Good to see your project coming long nicely. You have the same color scheme going on that i plan for except using hard chrome on the frame and miscellnious pieces inside the frame. Love the pictures, it reassures my decision.

I wanted to ask you if you think cutting the mainspring helped. I mentioned doing this like an old revolver job and wanted to know if it helped any on a different thread. I thought it may be a problem since the part on the rod that grabs the spring would be lower than the cut. I know working on the hammer and sear helps clean up the overall trigger feel/drop nicely. I figured cutting the main spring would drop some weight from the pull..

Happy Halloween..

Rdocwby

Bearcat
I have a similiar project going on. I picked up a couple of LE P-89s and have started the transformation. Below is a picture of the "twins" complete and the other pic is kinda of a before and after. I cold blued the slides, polished the barrels and used the Woodland Tan Durabake on the frames all after a complete breakdown and cleaning. Goodluck at the range!

P.S. Forgot to mention the new Hogue Grips

030.jpg

028-1.jpg