Volquartsen MKII trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixgunner454

Bearcat
I have installed a Volquartsen MKII trigger. The trigger fails to reset. I have the screws backed out all the way, still no reset. I cannot diagnose where trigger is binding. I have no problem adjusting my factory modded by me, ruger trigger. Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I remember having that problem but don't remember which adjustment fixed it. CALL VQ, they will guide you to the fix. It was simple.

J.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Saw the name Volquartsen and just had to mention that I got one of their extractors for my Remington #597M .22 Mag rifle which many peeps had problems with. The extractor fixed my rifle of FTF and FTE probs and it shoots great now. Hope your prob is resolved...

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I have installed a Volquartsen MKII trigger. The trigger fails to reset. I have the screws backed out all the way, still no reset. I cannot diagnose where trigger is binding. I have no problem adjusting my factory modded by me, ruger trigger. Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy.
start simple; the trigger spring, is it providing spring pressure to the trigger? I seem to recall a way or two that you could get it in wrong.

sixgunner454

Bearcat
Sir, I have tried factory, and volksquartsen spring. Today, I can get it to reset sporadically. It appears to be binding somewhere. I cannot see rub marks. I have compared volks trigger to factory trigger too. I have to pull volks trigger real hard to get it to release hammer. I'm stumped.

Johnnu2

Hunter
You've got to fund the balance between overtravel and pre travel screws. I suspect it is pre travel giving you the issue.
I think this was the answer that worked for me ... I think I had to adjust the screw in the 'front' (towards the bbl) that was causing my problem...think it was the pre-travel screw, but not sure. p.s. in Dan's comment, I think he meant to say "find", not "fund".
J.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Yeah should have been find.

When you a re testing do it it WITHOUT the upper in place. Then you can see what;s going on. Generally it is the pre-travel screw that messes with you. It prevents the trigger from coming forward enough to reset. That said, if you truly do have the pre-travel and over travel screws fully backed out then testing without the upper should give you a clue.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
Dan's advice is all sound. However, I'd submit that we don't have enough information to give any sound suggestions. All we know is a mk2 VQ trigger has been installed in something. Is the something a mk1/mk2/mk3 or a mk4? What other mods has this pistol had done? The devil is in the details.

From posts #1 and #7, I'd tend to think the pistol is a mk4. If so, the problem is the frame is tapered in front of the trigger. The newer VQ mk4 trigger is also tapered to work properly in that frame. A mk2 trigger would need to be modified to work right.

If the pistol is a mk2, I'd be checking the trigger bar (disconnector) for straightness. And the trigger bar may need some small mods, depending on what other changes have been made to this pistol.

Please provide us with more information so we can give you better advice.

sixgunner454

Bearcat
Mk2 pistol. Had to bevel trigger. I believe my frame is out of spec. Thanks to all.

Attachments

• 20240427_161706.jpg
    20240427_161706.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 21

sixgunner454

Bearcat
I installed the adjustable triggers on both my MK IIIs (MK II 1/2"). Took a while to get them to function correctly, adjust one adjustment and it affects the other.
Fox Mike, I already had an adjustable trigger (Ruger factory with added set screws). I guess with the tighter tolerance Volks trigger, and my frame, there was no room for function.