Ruger P Series pistols. How good are/were they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
I've tinkered with a few in my day. Still have a safe full. The kids and I usually shoot a GP100 in 22lr though...

I'll sell them off in time I guess. P89 was my first pistol then I got the bug and started collecting them. Have a few rare units but nothing super special. REM finish is my favorite.

Keep the P-guns alive!!! From one P-nut to all you others.

Star43

Blackhawk
I've tinkered with a few in my day. Still have a safe full. The kids and I usually shoot a GP100 in 22lr though...

I'll sell them off in time I guess. P89 was my first pistol then I got the bug and started collecting them. Have a few rare units but nothing super special. REM finish is my favorite.

I agree 100%. Love the P series , and especially the MK11 and the P89, & of course my beloved KP95DC.......I started another thread today about choosing 1 Ruger Revolver and 1 Ruger semi - auto, and an alternate Ruger gun , if you were all alone on a deserted island or way out in middle of nowhere by yourself, for survival purposes. My own semi-auto choice was my P95. To be honest, it was a tough choice between the P95 and P89. The way I look at it is it's a win win either way! 🙂

Star43

Blackhawk

I read your post again and was wondering why you would sell them off ?? Why not keep them in the family ? Just wondering ??

I had a few back in the day, found them all to be both reliable and clunky. The only one that continued to call my name was the KP345, so I stayed with it and found two. Seemed to be the precursor to the SR series. Great ergonomics!!!

krw

Blackhawk
Everyone gripes about the P series guns being chunky? Have you ever shot a HK of the era? LOL. The USP was a huge gun. I think the Sig was a pretty big gun too, and I never could get used to that decock lever on it. To me, the P series guns are no more chunky, in the grip anyway, than a Glock. Personally, I think the P series guns are the most under-rated guns ever.
Please don't compare the Ruger P Series to the HK USP line. HK still makes the USP lineup!! There just isn't a comparison there to make

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
My first gun was a P89 DC in stainless! It has always functioned and shoots well! A bit clunky and you can feel the action moving but I love that gun! My son felt the same way about it! Feels good in my hand although I did change out the stock grips! I like the de-cocker even though a friend went on about why he didn't like the de-cocker!

Now the P345 is similar to the P89 but in a trimmer version! Feels good in my hand, very accurate (especially in my wife's eyes) and I do carry it in the cooler months where it's more concealable under heavier clothing! If the SHTF, I'll have my Springfield XD9 SC on the right and the P345 on the left!! The P345 is way more trustworthy than the only Kimber I ever owned!

P guns are a great value IMO!

jav

Single-Sixer
I pick one up at a LGs last week I actually really like how it felt and I like the looks of it but the only thing I didn't like was that the gun counter guy could not break it down the take down pin wouldn't come out we both tried it just wouldn't come out maybe there is a trick to it but it looked straight forward like the czs line up the notches it should pop off but no we tried for a bit . So I back off .

Star43

Blackhawk
I pick one up at a LGs last week I actually really like how it felt and I like the looks of it but the only thing I didn't like was that the gun counter guy could not break it down the take down pin wouldn't come out we both tried it just wouldn't come out maybe there is a trick to it but it looked straight forward like the czs line up the notches it should pop off but no we tried for a bit . So I back off .
Have you handled a P series gun before and know how to break it down ? Just wondering?

Star43

Blackhawk
No never had looks pretty straight forward like I said lot like the my C Z is there a trick I don't know about
Yeah, I am surprised the gun salesman didn't know how to do it, unless of course there really is problem with the gun......in short, pull the slide back and make sure it is locked back and stick your finger inside to push the lever down. It sounds weird and maybe dangerous but it is not. It is unique to the gun design. It's not hard at all. Please look it up online & you will probably see a video showing how to do it. Again, not hard to do.

Star43

Blackhawk
Yeah, I am surprised the gun salesman didn't know how to do it, unless of course there really is problem with the gun......in short, pull the slide back and make sure it is locked back and stick your finger inside to push the lever down. It sounds weird and maybe dangerous but it is not. It is unique to the gun design. It's not hard at all. Please look it up online & you will probably see a video showing how to do it. Again, not hard to do.
Of course, you remove the magazine first. 🙂

jav

Single-Sixer
So you don't line up the notches like a cz ?

Star43

Blackhawk
Yeah, the CZ and other brands, you simply line up the notches......with the P series guns, it is a bit different as you of course remove magazine, make sure it is empty, push down on the ejector. With the P95 and P97 the pin will come all the way out. With the the P89, P90, & P91, the pin does not come all the way out when you are removing the slide for cleaning. I would type in on Google, " How do you break down a P95" and you will see a Ruger Tech video from the factory showing how to do this. It is a less that 2 minute video showing exactly how to do it. For the P89, type in the same thing and see another 2 minute video, showing you the correct and safe way to do this. It is not hard at all. Please check it out.

jav

Single-Sixer
Yeah, the CZ and other brands, you simply line up the notches......with the P series guns, it is a bit different as you of course remove magazine, make sure it is empty, push down on the ejector. With the P95 and P97 the pin will come all the way out. With the the P89, P90, & P91, the pin does not come all the way out when you are removing the slide for cleaning. I would type in on Google, " How do you break down a P95" and you will see a Ruger Tech video from the factory showing how to do this. It is a less that 2 minute video showing exactly how to do it. For the P89, type in the same thing and see another 2 minute video, showing you the correct and safe way to do this. It is not hard at all. Please check it out.
Damn I wish he would known that I like the gun a lot

Latest posts