Ruger P Series pistols. How good are/were they?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
Since most of us here are true Ruger fans. I think it is a good place to ask the question ? How good are / were the P series pistols ? Starting with the P85, then with the P85 Mk2, then the P89, etc, etc,......What do you think of them ??

I have owned several over the years but now only have these 2 p95's. They have all worked great. I have two issues with them, I don't like the way they field strip and they are just to chunky for me to personally carry.
20220710_105908.jpg

At various times I owned a P85, P91DC, P93DC, P89M, P94DAO, P944DC, and I've also used parts from a couple of other models (P90 & P95). Whether you like P-series guns will depend on your priorities. If you value reliability, modularity, and "bang-for-the-buck" (which I do), Rugers are great. If you want a great trigger, get a 1911. If you want a 'popular' gun, get a Glock or a SIG. And if you want a pretty gun, get a Browning P35.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

Last edited:

Star43

Blackhawk
I remember when they first came out....and it took so long for them to actually become available. All of the advertising and gun mag articles about the "First Ruger Semi-Auto" to hit the market at $299.....I was waiting with baited breath for it and the very first one I saw. I bought it...even though it wasn't $299. That gun is still in the box unfired. Then came the MK11, and the first thing I noticed when picking it up was how slimmer it felt in my hand. New grip style !! And of course the new safety update that was done. Then the P,89.....It shoots very, very well. Then the P95. I love my P95. Extremely accurate for me!!

hittman

Staff member
I had the 85, 89, 90 and 95 I think. Most were DC.
Great reliable trouble free guns for their time.
Then I got an older CZ75 and a Sig P220 and lost interest in those P guns.

Yesterday was Glock 19x and 43 day for me at the range.

Star43

Blackhawk
I had the 85, 89, 90 and 95 I think. Most were DC.
Great reliable trouble free guns for their time.
Then I got an older CZ75 and a Sig P220 and lost interest in those P guns.

Yesterday was Glock 19x and 43 day for me at the range.

I carried a KP95DC from their beginning until I had to switch to a smaller, more concealable pistol due to job change. There's a KP95 within reach of my computer chair and my in house carry is a P95.
IMHO, the 95 series is an excellent heavy duty performer.
I agree 100%

91B40

Bearcat
The wife has a KP90. It is the most accurate 45 ACP we own, and we own quite a few. Rumor has it that Ruger subcontracted some of the P90 barrels with Bar-Sto. Also, it is completely reliable. I think the trigger is pretty awful, but the wife says it is fine.
We also have a P95. It just works all the time.

crstrode

Single-Sixer
I remember when they first came out....and it took so long for them to actually become available. All of the advertising and gun mag articles about the "First Ruger Semi-Auto" to hit the market
If you remember this, you are hallucinating.

The only P-series I have used extensively is the P90DC.

Robust, reliable, and not nearly as big or clunky as those that have never shot one seem to believe.

Star43

Blackhawk
No, I am not hallucinating at all.....That is exactly what happened. The big anticipation and the advertising and the gun mags writing countless anticipatory type articles started back in '85 as in the name P85......I think it actually hit the gun shops in 1987......Your P90DC came much after that. The P90 is a good gun. Very, very reliable.

crstrode

Single-Sixer
No, I am not hallucinating at all.....That is exactly what happened. The big anticipation and the advertising and the gun mags writing countless anticipatory type articles started back in '85 as in the name P85......I think it actually hit the gun shops in 1987......Your P90DC came much after that. The P90 is a good gun. Very, very reliable.
Star43 said:

I remember when they first came out....and it took so long for them to actually become available. All of the advertising and gun mag articles about the "First Ruger Semi-Auto" to hit the market

So, the P-series was Rugers first semi-auto?

Like I said, it just ain't so.

Don't forget your meds.

Star43

Blackhawk
The P series generally means when the 9mm version was coming out. At that time in the '80's especially, the 9mm was the rage. Other brands were out there of course, as in the Browning Hi- Power, the Sigs, the Beretta, etc. Ruger came out with the P85, to want to compete with these and also to take part in the US Army tests for the new handgun service weapon. To me, the term "P" series term originated here. ......Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think that is the way it came down ......I am not referring to the 22 semi auto that put Ruger on the map way back when. Sure Ruger had semi autos, but not in the "larger bore 9mm type".......And thank goodness, I am not on any meds.......Good luck with the P90.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I was routing for the P85 during the Army trials and was disappointed when the Beretta 92 beat it out. I ended up never owning a P-Series Ruger, always spending my money on Blackhawks and Redhawks instead. Finally bought a couple of the SR-Series and like them. Need to buy a P85 now that I'm thinking about them again.

Star43

Blackhawk
I was rooting for them too, but it was a little too late in the game for when the Army trials were happening. I mean they competed, and I have read often, that the P85 did well on the tests, and yes, Ruger lost out to Beretta in that particular deal, but then again, our Military just happened to coincidentally open up a new base in Italy right around the same time.....how ironic that was ?? Either way, who knows, but yes I was rooting for the P85 too. By the way, I love my Blackhawk too.

Latest posts