"Project P-89"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Hey Berettapistols,
I thought you had more pics on the other site. You going to post more pics of your tear down and build here? I haven't joined the other site and didn't figure I really needed to right now.

I must say it looks like you didn't need the manual you were looking for though!
Great job on your gun.

Looks pretty good the way it is with no new coat.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Oh being I didn't have a complete pistol to start with having the manual "The Gun Digests Complete Book of AutoPistols Disassembly/Reassembly" was a must have, Once you figure out how the blocking Lever, sear & ejector housing & their springs go in it's fairly easy..
I also had another forum member email me the Radocy P89DC Takdown Guide which shows alot of the same info but the DCs are slightly different in the slide & only have one sear/blocking lever pin in the frame..
My main problem was there was trouble with one or more of the original parts & it was giving me fits..
I took several pictures that didn't come out & were just blurs/flashes..
When I strip it down for the Dura-Coat I'll try again to get pictures of each step & write & small takedown guide.. I'll use the tripod & get another light so the flash won't ruin the pictures..
That post I'll also post over at the other Forum Too!!
I haven't went over there in a few days,
This is by far the best Ruger Forum out there..No offense to them but it is..

I took a scribe & marked the RH magazine release & ground it down with my dremel clamped in padded vise, Held the lever in a pair of Hemostats Started with a cut off wheel then went to sanding drums, polishing stones & then polishing bonnet with Mother's Polish & then splashed on some Cold blue.. haven't tried it back into the frame YET!!
It will be tough to remove without something to get ahold of when I strip down again for the Frame Refinish.. I left the forward protrusion & it "should" still be able to be used with the trigger finger.. MAYBE??

I might also just pick up a set of Hogues today at Biff's Gunworld, Orion Arms/Keisler's Police Supply or Shooter's Supply..
I'm gonna call these place after lunch to see if the have any Spray on Gun Finishes & get what colors they have & the price..

Piece Out!!
Gary aka berettapistols - Headknocker

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
berettapistols said:
I'm gonna call these place after lunch to see if the have any Spray on Gun Finishes & get what colors they have & the price..

Piece Out!!
Gary aka berettapistols - Headknocker
If you want to go with black for the frame, check out Dupli-Color High Heat 1200 Degree Ceramic paint. It's about $6-$9 at auto parts stores: http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802258
Regards,
Greg

Flash

Buckeye
Gary, the grips are your's for sure. They wil be in the mail by the weekend. When you get the spray on finish, you will need an air brush. I bought mine at a hobby store for about $50 but it's well worth it. I can reduce the paint and air flow to get a whatever results I want.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I've been looking at the post @ Glock Talk but don't see a 1200 degree ceramic paint on their site now, they show a 500 degree paint..

Flash The two part Moly-Resin Epoxy paints do require a compressor & canned air to spray the finish, Dura-Coat has a kit for $50 that has it all..
Dura-Bake is a 6oz spray can that has to be baked @ 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours..
The Aluma-Hyde II that Brownell's sells also looks good too!!

http://lauerweaponry.com/
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II

The Brownells' paint doesn't require baking & look at the Color "Matte Ruger Grey"..
Also there's The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot & Worlds Largest Military Gunshow in two weeks in West Point Kentucky about 20 miles away & they always have a Dura-Coat booth set up there were I can walk up & see what I'm buying..Plus no S&H fees.. I can always wait..
If it's a true Moly-Resin it will be like a lubricant & also be very thin..
I will have to say that the Matte finish on those guns sprayed with that Ceramic header paint looked great, The Browning High Power really looked good, I can't believe that someone spray painted their BHP with Header paint..

I'll be back later with a picture of the modified RH magazine release & am also gonna fill the front sight dot with either red or orange & the rear with white ceramic bath tub paint, I have a kit of sight paint too..
Modifications underway..

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The Red Paint didn't show up well so I removed it with some acetone & a tooth pick..
I'm now filling all three dots with White ceramic bath tub touch up paint..
I've used it on many guns & it's very durable & is very bright white..
Mix well with a small popcycle stick & use a Tooth Pick to drop a micro drop into each clean hole level..
I have the slide sitting on it's end in front of a mini fan.. What looks dull on the rear sight is were the acetone stripped all the oil away..
Thought I'd show the RH magazine release lever I modified to keep my middle finger from being rubbed by it, I can't use it to drop the magazine but there's enough of it to get it out when I coat the frame, BTW You remove the right hand lever first then the left & then the spring comes out.. I have an extra if I ever decide to go back..
The Paint Is Sheffield Porcelain Touch Up White..
I have a Kit of Brite Sights Sight Paints & this stuff is Rubbish, Don't waist your money, I got the Kit FREE BTW.. Should have know..

Made some calls around & there's no dealer in the area that has any of the Dura-Bake or Aluma-Hyde II in stock..
KCR is in two weeks.. I'll be there as always, Friday around Noon!!

Front Sight
frontsight.jpg

Rear Sights
rearsights.jpg

Porcelain Paint
porcelaintouchupwhite.jpg

Modified RH Magazine Release Lever
modifiedp89rhmagazinere.jpg

Al James

Hunter
I would think that product you mentioned: "The Brownells' paint doesn't require baking & look at the Color "Matte Ruger Grey".." would be the M77 MKII or Super Redhawk Target Grey not the anodized Ruger P series color. Just a thought.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
They also list a Gloss Ruger Grey @ This Link
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1117/Product/ALUMA_HYDE_reg__II
BTW Al James I'll take two of the P18 magazines.
Now to figure out which ones??
LEO-New-Used??
Thanks!!
Gary/bp

BTW The sight dots turned out great, The front dot is larger than the rear & now you can really see them good & there perefct looking at them with my specticles & eye loupe..

Might have to ride down to AutoZone!! 1200 degree Ceramic Header Paint

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I decided to go ahead & buy a $10 Can of High Temperature Silica - Ceramic Coating @ O'Rieleys & first thought I'd go with the Flat Black but then decided I wanted a Two Tone Finish so I went with a Flat Aluminum Color Coating..
I scuffed up the frame with a grey Scotch Brite Pad & sanded out several of the dents & scuffs the aluminum frame had..
Hopefully I'll get around to spraying the frame tomorrow afternoon & will bake it later on after the finish cures..
Here's the frame waiting for the coating hanging on a coat hanger..
It needs to be scrubbed in the kitchen sink with a tooth brush in hot water & blown dry with a hair dryer & then wiped down acetone before coating..

Also my "Project P-89" Disassembly manual with pictures is complete & will be posting a new thread with it in the Auto Pistol Area

Ruger P-89 Frame Ready For Coating
rugerp89framereadyforre.jpg

Pictures of how the frame came out should be up tomorrow night

berettapistols

Blackhawk
After Coating & In the oven..
Looks like glass beaded aluminum..
Gotta cook it again in a 1/2 hour to 350 degrees, let it cool & it's going back together..
Gunshow in Cave City KY in the Morning..
Gary/bp

p89intheoven.jpg

jiggerman78

Bearcat
Looking good!!! Nice clean-up project you got there. If you still have the leftover firing pin stop spring(under the rear sights) i'll take it off your hands!

My favorite type of gun is the cheap one that can be cleaned up and perfected to shoot/feel the way you want it to. I got my Ruger for 200($300 after shipping and Springco recoil rod) and feels better than my friends Sig's. A little bit smoother than my FNP 9. Much nicer than glock or SR9C. Than again i hate striker fired guns.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
That spring was ruined on the original & the detent was missing..
I put a firing pin return spring from a Ruger MKII back in it, The one in the pic..
I'd want a New one if it were me..
Call Ruger & tell them you lost it while changing the sight & I'll bet you get a new detent & spring..
Good Luck!!

And I just sold my Glock 19 Too!!

berettapistols

Blackhawk
"Project P-89" is just about finished.
After The Matte Aluminum Ceramic coating I also installed the Modified P-95 Trigger while assembling & also cut the overhang off the magazine floorplate & cold blued..
Looks pretty good..
Gonna wait a while before I try giving the frame a wipe with an oily rag..
Love the P-95 Trigger Mod Too!!

Got a Couple LEO P18 Magazines & a set of Hogue Grips coming as well..
Range report Due!!
Gunshow in Cave City KY in the Morning..

"Project P-89" 1993 Ruger P-89
pa010002.jpg

pa010007.jpg

pa010008.jpg

pa010011.jpg

pa010012.jpg

pa010013f.jpg

pa010014.jpg

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
Very nice. It will be interesting to see how well the finish holds up.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
It'll be a while before I can get to the range because of all the gunshows the next few weeks..
Cave City KY This weekend & Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot & Worlds Largest Military Gunshow next Friday-Sunday..
I got a set of Hogue Grips Yesterday & they feel pretty darn good..

"Project P-89" Wearing Hogue Grips!! Thanks Flash!!
pa030017.jpg

pa030020.jpg

Latest posts