"Project P-89"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
Very, very nicely done, Gary. You've done an absolutely superb resurrection-now let us know how it shoots!

Many thanks for sharing your project details with us-and for the detailed disassembly manual.

While I generally prefer the Uncle Mike's grips as they provide my hand an ideal grip, I have to admit that the Hogue fingergroove grips really aesthetically set off the gun-and they'll work well from a functional standpoint as well.

Congratulations!

Best, Jon

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Yeah..
I have Spegel grips on all my Smiths & thought the Uncle Mikes would be the best but the Hogues work very well for me & give a great purchase on the pistol..
Wish I could find a set of Cocobolo Spegels for the P89..
I might contact Craig Spegel & ask??
I know he used to make them..

Also the VHT Ceramic coating seems soft & is already starting to get goofed up.. The Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot is this weekend & Dura-Coat has a booth there.. Don't Know what to do Yet??
I'm not easy on things & have just been messing around with the P-89 a have some snap caps that I've run threw it trying to get the TW-25B to help smooth the trigger out a bit..
The extra play that the trigger has in the frame makes the trigger gritty even though I've smoothed & polished all the mating surfaces..
A Wolff Reduced power mainspring would help some BUT??

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I thought I'd BUMP my Thread because I saw on Gunbroker were someone bid on an auction for a Ruger Owners manual for a P-89 for $15..
For those who DON'T KNOW, Ruger will send you this manual FREE..
You can download it FREE Here
http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
Or Call Telephone: 603-865-2442 for a FREE Paper Copy..
Enjoy!!
Ruger's Customer Service is #1..
I made a call before I got my pistol & left a message on their answering machine & had the manual before the pistol.
They want a serial # but that's so you get the right manual..

FREE MANUAL

freerugermanual.jpg

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That's a real looker you got going there berettapistols.

The low-buck approach has been fantastic to watch. Hopefully it will inspire others to fix up some more "well worn" firearms.

Great job.

jhearne

Buckeye
Wow!

Superb looking firearm there. Always enjoy seeing fixer-uppers.

Can't wait to see how she shoots!

Josh

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Tonight I've taken the P-89 apart 4 more times almost completely..
I was after getting the trigger pull with the factory springs as good as it could possibly be..
The hooks on the hammer & sear were very rough & had sharp scratches etc in both & you could really feel this on the SA trigger pull..
I worked both over with a small piece of 600 grit wet/dry on a small needle file and without changing the angles..
Now the trigger pull feels as good as any SIGs..
Next time it's apart I will polish them both up with some Mothers & the dremel tool..
I might order a Wolff hammer spring kit plus a new magazine spring..
Was getting some of the Halloween Decorations out & took a pic of the P-89 with a Skull..

The Unholy Ruger P-89 "Special Edition"
skullrugerp89.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Bet you Really Love that Skull Pic don't you GhosT

It's gonna get sand down with a scotch brite pad & another coat of the VHT & that should be it on the refinish..
Gonna try baking it to 550 degrees this time..

Wish me luck on that..

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
Berettapistols- I just took your advice, and the telephone number you provided, and requested an owner's manual for my new-to-me P94 9mm. While I was at it I ordered a new recoil spring and guide for my pistol as well. The total cost, including shipping, for everything was exactly zero, as in nada, on the house, gratis, pro bono, nothing and free! I figured the manual would be comped but the free recoil spring and guide was a total surprise. A pleasant surprise to be sure. Thank you Ruger customer service, I'm a happy camper! :D

Kenny

berettapistols

Blackhawk
There sweet to deal with..
I've bought some parts from them before but when ever I needed a part that has broken they always sent it to me FREE..
Great Customer Service..
Congrats Kenny!!

Today I stripped the finish off the frame with Acetone & a scotch Brite pad..
I cleaned it up masked it & spreayed two more light coats of the VHT Ceramic on it an hour ago..
It's hanging inside drying now..
Later I'm gonna bake it to 550 degrees for an hour or so..
Wish me luck!!
Gary/bp

9isFine

Bearcat
Hey Berettapistols,
You inspired me to coat my Remington 870. I used the VHT Flameproof flat black and the secret to curing the finish to a suitable hardness is in the multiple heat cycles. follow the directions on the can (if your oven will hit 650*) then add at least two additional cycles of 550*. I used an air compressor to speed the cooling. After the piece has hit ambient temp put it back in the oven for an hour at 550*, remove from oven cool it down and then...this is where the significant other really gets mad..rub the finish down in Breakfree CLP with Teflon. Put it back in the oven for 45min-1hr.
when you remove it from the oven this time the finish will be dry and slick almost like a Teflon pan. let it cool slowly, you can leave it in the oven and let it cool that way. when it has decreased in temperature to where you can safely handle, it wipe it down with you lightly oiled rag and good to go.

Ill post some before and after pics of the 870 so people can see the finish.

Good Shooting,

Mark

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Mark My P-89 is back in the oven now..
Started @ 250 degrees for an hour & am letting it cool in the oven now..
I am going to go to 350, 450 & 550..
I will do the 550 a couple of times..
I don't have any CLP Teflon?? But do have some Rem-Oil w Teflon & also have Militec-1 which is also heat activated to bond to the pores of the product..

WISH ME LUCK!!
Gary

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Well the added heat & longer baking time hardened the coating up & it is oil resistant & now super slick, I used Militec-1 @ 150 degrees as per their instructions..
Thanks for the tips 9isFine
Pics to come later on..
Gary

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I'm up over $150 now including freight for the original $45 P89, $90 parts kit & $10 for the refinish.. Add a couple more magazines & I'll be @ $200..
& I forgot the $9 Uncle Mikes grips that I traded for the Hogues & $15 FFL fee
Around here every P series I see P85-P95 the sellers want $350-$425..

BTW I could have went to the range today put passed as the KCR Machine Gun Shoot yesterday wore me clean out, as usual

There's a 2100 table gunshow next weekend here in Louisville..

It'll be a few weeks before it calms down enough to break free to go to the shooting range in Henryville Indiana..
Enjoy!!
Gary/bp

Latest posts