Wrangler with older ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
Might have to open Bubba's Gunsmithing in my garage after this. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Was shooting my wrangler, and the cylinder would be quite difficult to turn. Noticed the contact point (see pic) and tried to stone it down a bit. Didn't really help, but the ammo was an older box of 500 or so Federal. Noticed later that using newer ammo of several types worked fine.
Anyone else run into this? Seems like the older ammo has a thicker rim. I'll see if I still have the box of old ammo and post a picture.
IMG_2295.jpeg

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Not saying you didn't check it first or already but the older ammo wasn't 22 mag or the 22 WRF or whatever that one weird Winchester ammo is, is it. That might be the difference always start with the easiest answer first. Good luck

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I have 2 Wranglers and neither has that problem. I also have an older S&W K22 and it has issues with "some" ammo, not necessarily "older' stuff. The K22 is notorious for small chambers.

I got some Emory cloth and "polished the chambers in the Smith. Looks like that solved my issue. Of course, I make an extra effort to keep the chambers clean.

Latest posts