wondering about the P345

Help Support Ruger Forum:

clint_lnl

Bearcat
Hi all, was at my LGS and they have a used P345 with box and all that can with factory and was thinking about getting it to add to my other Rugers since I don't have a 45. so far have a SR9, SR40C, MK II & 10/22.
He has it listed for $350.00 but told me I can have it for $325.00 OTD/
From what I can find in the search seams like 80 + % positive, but most post are from a few years ago. I like the way it feels and looks.
Whats your thought on this gun?

thanks Clint

customf1

Bearcat
If I was you I would jump on that deal. I wanted a used one but couldn't find one at my LGS so I bought a new one for 449.00. You wont be sorry Its a nice shooter with reduced recoil.

exavid

Hunter
Yep, me too, I bought one new and have fired around 300 trouble free rounds through it. Accurate, soft recoil, very good SA trigger, compact size and fairly light weight, what more would you want go for it before it's gone.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
thanks everyone, you convinced me, I went and placed a deposit on it to hold it tonight. going to pay it off friday and bring it home. when I get it home and give it a good clean, lube and and a few rounds and let you know how it did. thanks clint

exavid

Hunter
I think you'll like it. I have no difficulty popping pop cans at 25-30yds and I know the pistol is capable of better than that. The DA trigger pull is fairly heavy, a good bit moreso than my S&W 28 but it's smooth and doesn't seem to stack much if at all.
I notice you have good taste in firearms. I have the SR9, SR40c, 10/22 but no longer have my MkI pistol, sold it some years ago and replaced it with a Buckmark.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
well, its mine. gave it a good cleaning and popped off a few rounds.. and all I can say IS WOW !! sweet shooter. took a few rounds to get use to the DA trigger, never shot one before. like everyone said heavy DA and light SA and the recoil is not bad at all. thank you all for your input I am one happy camper

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Cool, I just bought a new one a few weeks ago myself. I've only got about 100rnds through it and so far so good. Once I get these 500 down the pipe and I'm confident with it it will be my daily carry gun. It's my "winter project". I cleaned under the rear site a few days ago and I believe it smoothed up the DA pull.

p345_01.jpg

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Donaldjr1969 said:
Snyd, just out of curiosity, are those Lyman 452460's that you cast? They look like it to me.

Yup. I just got started loading 45acp. Still messing with loads with Unique and W231. Been casting/loading for 45 Colt, 454 and 38's for a few years.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Try that 452460 with 5g of Bullseye. It shoots GREAT in my P90. Accurate as all get-out and a soft shooting load as well. A buddy has cast me some a while ago and I need to give him some $$$ sometime in the future for some more.

redbeardsong

Bearcat
Congrats on the new gun! I've been eying one of these for a while, but the budget hasn't allowed it. I did, however, manage to find a dummy gun for it so I can make holsters for the P345 if you need one.

RioGrande481

Bearcat
I have a P345 that I have owned for about 5 years. It is a good gun. Easy to clean and shoots well.

My only words of advice to a prospective or new owner would be:

1. Make sure you get a non-display gun, and then do not dry-fire it without the magazine.

2. Be sure to give the magazines a VERY good clean. For some reason the P345 mags I have were all about the ickiest of any pistol mags I have bought. They NEED a good clean before use!

Snyd

Single-Sixer
redbeardsong said:
Congrats on the new gun! I've been eying one of these for a while, but the budget hasn't allowed it. I did, however, manage to find a dummy gun for it so I can make holsters for the P345 if you need one.

I'm shopping for a holster. Do you make a tuckable IWB?

Snyd

Single-Sixer
RioGrande481 said:
I have a P345 that I have owned for about 5 years. It is a good gun. Easy to clean and shoots well.

1. Make sure you get a non-display gun, and then do not dry-fire it without the magazine.

2. Be sure to give the magazines a VERY good clean. For some reason the P345 mags I have were all about the ickiest of any pistol mags I have bought. They NEED a good clean before use!

Good advice. I ordered mine through an small operation/FFl. It was still in the FedEx box when I picked it up.

I had read about the "dirty" mags. I pulled mine apart and they looked fine. So far they function fine. What should I be looking for?

RioGrande481

Bearcat
Snyd said:
RioGrande481 said:

Good advice. I ordered mine through an small operation/FFl. It was still in the FedEx box when I picked it up.

I had read about the "dirty" mags. I pulled mine apart and they looked fine. So far they function fine. What should I be looking for?

The magazine springs seemed to have most of the crud on them. Cleaning the springs and giving them a once-over with a Remoil wipe is part of my routine.